← [UPDATE 10-Jun - final version of UK jacket] The Magic of Reality - new book by Richard Dawkins this Fall

[UPDATE 10-Jun - final version of UK jacket] The Magic of Reality - new book by Richard Dawkins this Fall - Comments

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 1 by yanquetino

Can't wait!

Tue, 10 May 2011 22:58:37 UTC | #625581

lucascantor's Avatar Comment 2 by lucascantor

So, this would be the long-awaited children's book then?

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:06:47 UTC | #625582

maria melo's Avatar Comment 3 by maria melo

I´m really curious about it.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:20:09 UTC | #625584

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 4 by NewEnglandBob

I'll take two (to start). Just pre-ordered (Kindle and hardcover).

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:24:28 UTC | #625586

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 5 by BanJoIvie

SA-WEEEEET. Congratulations and good luck, Richard.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:26:06 UTC | #625589

cixelsyd5's Avatar Comment 6 by cixelsyd5

I'm SO excited about this!!

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:27:36 UTC | #625591

maria melo's Avatar Comment 7 by maria melo

I was (I am) very curious about this book. It has a beautiful illustration.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:28:35 UTC | #625592

Benjamin Taylor's Avatar Comment 8 by Benjamin Taylor

I'm glad you stuck with "The Magic of Reality" as the title.

Putting the Judeo-Christian creation myth, with Yahweh creating the sun, alongside the Greek, Egyptian and Norse myths should be an excellent bit of consciousness raising!

I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:39:59 UTC | #625596

scarecroe's Avatar Comment 9 by scarecroe

I have been looking forward to this very much.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:42:37 UTC | #625599

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 10 by MilitantNonStampCollector

It's so cute.

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:43:45 UTC | #625600

Crimbly's Avatar Comment 11 by Crimbly

How.... unexpected.

If it is a children's book, I dare say the most important thing to do is to raise their consciousness, and I wish you good luck writing and publishing this book. Reaching children before they're put under religion's malignant spell is probably more important than trying to persuade most adults, who're set in their ways.

Wed, 11 May 2011 00:18:49 UTC | #625610

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 12 by Michael Austin

I think that Richard should have published this under a pseudonym. It would have a better chance of getting into the hands of children of religious parents. Right now, I doubt it gets outside of Atheists families who have read Richard's other books.

Wed, 11 May 2011 00:54:58 UTC | #625625

The Plc's Avatar Comment 13 by The Plc

Looks good, and it's illustrated beautifully. I can practically see the snarky Guardian review already. Remember the way they got an art critic to write that weird review on the book about the evidence for evolution? I can't wait to see all the spurious ways they can attack RD for having the audacity to not lie to children.

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:05:34 UTC | #625630

Caivs's Avatar Comment 14 by Caivs

Hope there will be translations to portuguese soon, so I can give the book to my 10 and 12 yrld cousins! =)

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:13:31 UTC | #625633

Crimbly's Avatar Comment 15 by Crimbly

Comment 12 by Michael Austin :

I see your point, but if it were found that the professor was writing under a pseudonym, the backlash under the guise of "sneaking material under kids' noses under a different name" might make the explanation of scientific truth and reality no better than creationism renaming itself intelligent design. Religious folk would have a hypocritical field day pointing out how deceptive Richard is!

No, I think it's best written under Richard's name. The truth will out eventually, step by step up the ladder of intellectual honesty.

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:27:12 UTC | #625639

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 16 by mordacious1

October...still a long wait ahead!

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:31:02 UTC | #625641

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 17 by Steve Zara

I looked at the PDF download with samples from the book. It's simply perfect. Gorgeous artwork along with Richard's words. This took me back 45 years to when my parents gave me an illustrated encyclopaedia of science. I can still remember the effect that book had on me - I was stunned and amazed by the extraordinary things that were in the world around me, and I developed a love of science and reason that has never faded.

What a wonderful contribution to the education of children this book will surely be.

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:55:03 UTC | #625642

theldyrn's Avatar Comment 18 by theldyrn

Richard Dawkins, helping a new generation to unweave the rainbow.

Wed, 11 May 2011 01:58:57 UTC | #625643

MattGBush's Avatar Comment 19 by MattGBush

Absolutely wonderful! I will be buying one of these for each of the kids in my family!

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:19:48 UTC | #625644

Free2011's Avatar Comment 20 by Free2011

Wow, can't wait for fall.

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:23:46 UTC | #625646

sanban's Avatar Comment 21 by sanban

I'll be buying this book for the kids in my family,. Would love to see a Spanish translation soon!

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:24:32 UTC | #625648

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 22 by Michael Austin

He wouldn't have to keep it a secret. He could tell us here, and we'd buy it. The idea is that some religious parent would see the book with a pretty cover and buy it for their kid. It has a better chance at reaching children because it doesn't have Richard's name on it which is known in religious circles.

Comment 15 by Crimbly :

Comment 12 by Michael Austin :

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:30:07 UTC | #625649

Sara12's Avatar Comment 23 by Sara12

Comment 18 by theldyrn :

Richard Dawkins, helping a new generation to unweave the rainbow.

Cheers to that!

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:44:30 UTC | #625651

skiles1's Avatar Comment 24 by skiles1

This book looks so good!

Wed, 11 May 2011 02:49:13 UTC | #625653

Daniel Schealler's Avatar Comment 25 by Daniel Schealler

I can think of a few people who are 20+ who could benefit from this.

Comment 2 by lucascantor :

So, this would be the long-awaited children's book then?

Wed, 11 May 2011 03:22:27 UTC | #625659

zengardener's Avatar Comment 26 by zengardener

Beautiful!

Wed, 11 May 2011 03:26:40 UTC | #625660

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 27 by Michael Austin

@RICHARD, This book is ironically(given the title) classified under fiction on Amazon Kindle. You should probably get that fixed. :)

Wed, 11 May 2011 04:26:54 UTC | #625674

Rich Wilson's Avatar Comment 28 by Rich Wilson

really looking forward to this!

Wed, 11 May 2011 04:29:59 UTC | #625675

Daniel Schealler's Avatar Comment 29 by Daniel Schealler

In other myths, the sun is not a god but one of the first creations of a god. In the creation myth of the Hebrew tribe of the Middle Eastern desert, the tribal god YHWH created light on the first of his six days of creation - but then, weirdly, he didn't create the sun until the fourth day! 'And God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.' Where the light came from on the first day, before the sun existed, we are not told.

It is time to turn to reality, and the true nature of the sun, as borne out by scientific evidence.

I-am-an-atheist-but I want to distance myself from such shrill, strident language - in a children's book, no less! [/sarcasm]

Bravo, Richard.

Wed, 11 May 2011 05:04:19 UTC | #625679

Chrisss212's Avatar Comment 30 by Chrisss212

Is it only for kids? Will I feel like an idiot, reading it as an adult?

Wed, 11 May 2011 06:25:38 UTC | #625686