← Sharia law: an eye for an eye

Sharia law: an eye for an eye - Comments

gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by gordon

Rendered me speachless!

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:18:14 UTC | #626661

Erik Andreas's Avatar Comment 2 by Erik Andreas

I love happy endings.

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:18:25 UTC | #626662

sbooder's Avatar Comment 3 by sbooder

My word, where do you start with this?

Or do you opt for the glaringly obvious hypocrisy of the worth of women in this medieval culture.

On the other hand there is always the option of getting two women to through the acid in his face, purely on the bases that he is worth two of them!

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:36:25 UTC | #626663

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 4 by Vicktor

So if a woman rapes a man, he can rape her in return? Or does the judge do it?

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:41:00 UTC | #626664

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 5 by Richard Dawkins

Richard

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:47:04 UTC | #626666

Aztek's Avatar Comment 6 by Aztek

Ugh. When understanding of modern ethics fails.

This goes to show that some legal systems are superior to others when it comes to ethics. The Iranian legal system is clearly inferior to the one I'm bound by. Hopefully it develops so that it one day reaches the level required of a developed, modern nation.

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:49:27 UTC | #626667

josephor's Avatar Comment 7 by josephor

Primitive savagery.

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:52:31 UTC | #626668

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 8 by Chris Roberts

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with all of this, if only because he gets to be sedated and have a few drops placed in his eyes. She had a whole container thrown all over her face and nothing to numb the pain. If this is fair, then they can stick it up their arse.

Sat, 14 May 2011 07:59:04 UTC | #626671

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 9 by Stafford Gordon

I wonder if the Archbishop of Canterbury knows about this.

Sat, 14 May 2011 08:04:26 UTC | #626672

Mindscape's Avatar Comment 10 by Mindscape

No respect required. Barbaric.

Sat, 14 May 2011 08:17:49 UTC | #626675

Deako's Avatar Comment 11 by Deako

What a horrible case.

I've always been suspect of legal systems that allow victims a say on sentencing for their specific cases. I don't know if the Iranian legal system allows Ameneh Bahrami to change her mind and not inflict this barbaric act on Movahedi.

Greg

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:14:19 UTC | #626678

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 12 by Crazycharlie

These legal proceedings are completely appropriate.....

For the thirteenth century.

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:23:35 UTC | #626679

superbeanson's Avatar Comment 13 by superbeanson

my intention is to ask for the application of the law not just for revenge but also so that no other woman will have to go through this. It is to set an example

I understand her viewpoint and it has some utilitarian force. I would weep no tears for the man

I'm not sure what the posters above are calling barbaric, the crime or the punishment or both- if the latter then you're just throwing your hands up as far as I can see

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:24:41 UTC | #626680

Adrian A Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 14 by Adrian A Bartholomew

I am amazed no one has manufactured an acid proof burqa (feels like fighting madness with madness though).

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:31:42 UTC | #626681

Osiris's Avatar Comment 15 by Osiris

If a country "chooses" to live under medieval laws then I guess this is what you get.

The biggest surprise here to me is that a sharia court has found in favour of a woman. I would have expected that the court would have ordered more acid to be thrown in her face for having the temerity to accuse a man.

Of course this acid throwing is quite common amongst followers of the religion of peace...check the link but be warned it`s very graphic.:link text

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:42:07 UTC | #626685

Tord M's Avatar Comment 16 by Tord M

in an interview in 2009 [Bahrami] said that the man would be blinded only in one eye because "each man is worth two women" under Iranian law.

That means of course that if a woman blinds a man in both eyes, she should be punished by being blinded in four eyes. If she's got as sister, that is.

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:44:37 UTC | #626686

MunchYYC's Avatar Comment 17 by MunchYYC

Anyone who thinks this is barbaric and cheered about the USA assassinating Osama Bin Laden are hypocrites.

The USA was out for revenge, just as Bahrami is.

If you say Osama was killed so he couldn't kill other people or plan to kill other people, blinding Majid Movahedi will do the same thing with him no longer being able to throw acid at a female face.

In Canada, some guy beheaded a total stranger on a bus and didn't even have to go to jail. He got sent to a mental institution. Now that is civilized justice!! If Majid did this crime in Canada, he would have probably gotten a couple years in jail and had the rest of his life to look forward to, while Bahrami will probably never see again.

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:46:58 UTC | #626688

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 18 by rod-the-farmer

I thought maybe she would have suggested they cut the process down to a single action, inserting a small pellet of lead in one eye such that it passed through to the other eye.

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:50:27 UTC | #626690

Sample's Avatar Comment 19 by Sample

Comment 15 by Adrian A Bartholomew

Elsewhere, one may carry an EpiPen for fear of a bumblebee sting. In Iran, it's evidently more prudent to never be without a box of baking soda.

-Mike

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:52:05 UTC | #626692

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 20 by the great teapot

He is rendered unconscious prior to the acid application. So it is not halal then. This is not an eye for an eye, he volunteered for punishment she did not.

Sat, 14 May 2011 09:54:26 UTC | #626694

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 21 by the great teapot

I really don't know where I stand on this. In some ways this is a legal system with guts. As hitchens says you can forgive your own enemies but you can't forgive mine. He didn't actually say that but you get the idea. It will certainly impair his aim if he tries it again.

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:02:08 UTC | #626697

Tord M's Avatar Comment 22 by Tord M

Just heard on the radio five minutes ago that the penalty has been postponed, possibly because of foreign reactions.

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:07:19 UTC | #626698

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 23 by the great teapot

On the other hand perhaps he should be paid compensation for the trauma of his arrest and sent on his way.

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:12:14 UTC | #626701

jel's Avatar Comment 24 by jel

I think that what is really needed here is an education program to teach idiotic men like this that women are their equals and that throwing acid at them (or any of the other ridiculous things that these people do) is not acceptable. Until it is accepted by every one that all people are equal, there will continue to be horrific stories like this coming out.

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:13:56 UTC | #626703

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 25 by ANTIcarrot

Comment 3 by sbooder : Do you start with the archaic and barbaric legal system that considers this retribution the best deterrent for acid attacks rather than educating men that this is not the way you treat others?

I happily point out that using battery acid to blind criminals in a horrifically painful way is possibly an exceptionally effective and appropiet way of educating them this is not a nice thing to do.

I do not object to corporal punishment, and in cases of sufficient evidence, have little trouble with exceptional painful methods. After all, it's not like we're getting information out of them. >:)

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:19:41 UTC | #626704

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 26 by ANTIcarrot

Comment 5 by Richard Dawkins : There are moves afoot to introduce sharia law into Britain, Canada and various other countries. I hope it is not too "islamophobic" of me to hope that the "interpretation" of sharia favoured by our local Muslim "scholars" will be different from the "interpretation" favoured by Iranian "scholars". Oh but of course: "That's not my kind of Islam."

Be fair Richard. You can't ask them to take woman's rights seriously then jump up and down on them if they take even the tiniest step in that direction. They could have let him walk away with just a fine. They chose not too.

You can dislike the precise form of punishment if you wish, and I can understand if you do, but the fact that Iran has recognised that this crime is absolutely terrible is a good thing.

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:30:44 UTC | #626706

John_Geeshu's Avatar Comment 27 by John_Geeshu

Fail on all accounts. That goes too for legal systems with the death penalty. USA (pot) - Iran (kettle).

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:31:57 UTC | #626707

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 28 by AtheistEgbert

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:43:14 UTC | #626712

MunchYYC's Avatar Comment 29 by MunchYYC

Comment 29 by AtheistEgbert "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

You would rather have the innocent be blind while the criminals can see? Great motto to live by!

Sat, 14 May 2011 10:57:17 UTC | #626715

BowDownToGizmo's Avatar Comment 30 by BowDownToGizmo

Why is the foreign reaction to this corporal punishment so much greater than the reaction was to the original act, in which a man found it appropriate according to his holy book to throw acid in a woman's face for refusing to commit to be his slave for the remainder of her life in accordance with that same book? Certainly smells like hypocrisy in the air.

I feel very uneasy about this corporal punishment but feeling uneasy is a much milder emotion to the primal repulsion I feel about the original act and it's reflection on that society as a whole.

Sat, 14 May 2011 11:04:18 UTC | #626716