← Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers in conversation

Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers in conversation - Comments

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 1 by DefenderOfReason!

This would be an awesome event to attend. Hopefully it will be recorded and posted in the near future.

Wed, 18 May 2011 18:49:59 UTC | #628096

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 2 by nancynancy

I live in the US, so I'll just have to look forward to reading the transcript. Should be a great event.

Wed, 18 May 2011 18:58:10 UTC | #628100

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 3 by rod-the-farmer

Wow. A confrontationalist AND a stridentist in the same room. Boom !

Wed, 18 May 2011 19:07:25 UTC | #628108

Veronique's Avatar Comment 4 by Veronique

Comment 3 by rod-the-farmer

Very nice. :-)

Wed, 18 May 2011 19:15:28 UTC | #628111

fsm1965's Avatar Comment 5 by fsm1965

Would love to go, but live in a foreign part of the country - not London.

Recording pls?

Wed, 18 May 2011 19:48:31 UTC | #628126

Ocellatus's Avatar Comment 6 by Ocellatus

yay! Got my ticket.

I'm going and I have no idea what they're meant to talk about. Is it about philately perhaps? Or another common hobby? :)

Wed, 18 May 2011 20:06:55 UTC | #628133

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 7 by rod-the-farmer

They can both talk about not collecting stamps.....

Wed, 18 May 2011 20:20:39 UTC | #628141

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 8 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Pardon my off-topic but if anyone wants to sign a petition by the National secular Society/Ekklesia/British Centre for Science Education to keep creationism out of UK schools, click on this link: Creationism in Schools Isn't Science

Wed, 18 May 2011 20:50:06 UTC | #628159

Alan Canon's Avatar Comment 9 by Alan Canon

It will be so shrill we'll have to ask Bryson Gore to bring the Royal Institution's bat detector as seen in Episode 4 of Growing Up in the Universe! (Yes, I am a Richard Dawkins geek!)

Wed, 18 May 2011 21:53:39 UTC | #628189

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 10 by Steve Hanson

I'll await the Youtube video...and hopefully, someday, there will be something involving Richard right here in Michigan (since I'd like the opportunity to actually see him debate in public, rather than just via the internet).

Wed, 18 May 2011 22:32:19 UTC | #628204

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 11 by El Bastardo

Comment 10 by Steve Hanson :

Ah Steve, in 2009 the good Prof gave a talk in MSU, I missed it by a day. Was most unimpressed.

Wed, 18 May 2011 23:38:12 UTC | #628224

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 12 by prettygoodformonkeys

Comment 4 by Veronique

Nice to see your post! I've lately been missing many of the posters from a few years ago: you, Dr. Benway, Diacanu, Scooter, etc. Some of my own postings from that time were done a bit tippled and I regret a few, but there was still some fun had then. :) Hope all are well.

Comment 7 by rod-the-farmer

Ha! And if that gets dull they can shave their heads and fight over a comb. No, wait...that's theologians. And the comb doesn't exist.

Wed, 18 May 2011 23:38:14 UTC | #628225

ewaldrep's Avatar Comment 13 by ewaldrep

What do we need to do to talk Richard and PZ to come to Ohio for a talk? I would be on my best behavior!!!

Thu, 19 May 2011 00:08:45 UTC | #628235

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 14 by Vicktor

Published numerous research papers in Nature and other notable scientific journals? I'm surprised he's still just an associate professor at a not-quite Ivy League institution at that.

Thu, 19 May 2011 01:02:51 UTC | #628252

jasonball88's Avatar Comment 15 by jasonball88

Not sure how or why this historic Australian event has not yet recieved a mention on RD.net?

Thu, 19 May 2011 01:12:11 UTC | #628256

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 16 by Steve Hanson

El Bastardo

He did? Damn. Well, 2009 was a crazy time for me (and not in the good way). I hope he comes back then (U of M this time?)

Thu, 19 May 2011 02:31:35 UTC | #628273

Antipodean Atheist's Avatar Comment 17 by Antipodean Atheist

Please please please come back to New Zealand !!!!!!!!!!!

Thu, 19 May 2011 08:27:56 UTC | #628326

kriton's Avatar Comment 18 by kriton

Comment 14 by Vicktor :

Well, if you search "Myers PZ" on PubMed, you'll find 10 papers. One of them is in Nature, from 1986.

Associate professor is just about what you would expect for someone with such a publication record. Nothing surprising about that at all.

Note that this is in no way a criticism of PZ, I'm just trying to explain that it's all perfectly normal. And I'm guessing he's mostly doing teaching nowadays.

Thu, 19 May 2011 09:21:08 UTC | #628348

locutus7's Avatar Comment 19 by locutus7

I'm having lunch with P-Zed the day after tomorrow in D.C. Yea!

Thu, 19 May 2011 16:57:18 UTC | #628511

Scruddy Bleensaver's Avatar Comment 20 by Scruddy Bleensaver

Comment 19 by locutus7 :

I'm having lunch with P-Zed the day after tomorrow in D.C. Yea!

Lucky you. I wonder, though, do they introduce him as P-Zed in UK appearances, or do they make an exception to the rules of proper pronunciation and call him Pee-Zee like he calls himself? Also, do we have to humour the cretinous natives who mispronounce the names of their own towns (Versailles vs VurSALES, Pierre vs Pier, Cairo vs KAYro, etc, etc). What are the rules?

When I lived in El Paso, Chelsea street was pronounced Chel-sea-ah, despite my every attempt at educating the masses. My letters to the mayor of Houston to correct the pronunciation of their town have thus far gone unanswered as well.

I heard the Dutch football club PSV introduced as Pay Es Vay the other day. I don't know if I like this trend, but these are the things that keep me awake at night.

Fri, 20 May 2011 01:23:48 UTC | #628642

Joolz's Avatar Comment 21 by Joolz

I do hope they use the pronunciation he prefers (presumably pee-zee). If I ever refer to Mr Myers in conversation (usually with DH) then I always use pee-zee because pee-zed just seems silly when referring to someone who doesn't use that pronunciation themselves.

This is a silly pet peeve of mine. Use the pronunciation that most people use - not what is deemed "correct" by a particular language. I live in a city that has an area called Bevois Valley. It is called Beevus Valley by everyone I know and have ever known. Maybe it should be pronounced bay-vwah (or something along those lines) but it isn't and never will be.

Julie

Fri, 20 May 2011 04:29:22 UTC | #628669

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 22 by Michael Gray

21:

Is it Julie, or Joolz?

Fri, 20 May 2011 08:18:17 UTC | #628688

RationalConclusion's Avatar Comment 23 by RationalConclusion

I just booked my ticket. I'm looking forward to this. I have to admit though, other than being a renouned biologist I know practically nothing about PZ Myers or his work. I think it's time I read up on him.

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:05:29 UTC | #629022

Scruddy Bleensaver's Avatar Comment 24 by Scruddy Bleensaver

Comment 21 by Joolz :

If I lived in Southampton, I'd be the only one calling it bay-vwhah valley. But don't mind me, I'm just a crank.

Sat, 21 May 2011 02:00:52 UTC | #629054

Joolz's Avatar Comment 25 by Joolz

@comment 22

It's either Julie or Joolz. I think I usually try to sign off on this site as Joolz because there is another Julie here, but I don't always remember.

@comment 24

You could try, but most Sotonians would just ask "Where?" or more probably "Huh?"

Joolz (or Julie)