← Make My Bed? But You Say the World’s Ending

Make My Bed? But You Say the World’s Ending - Comments

Teknical's Avatar Comment 1 by Teknical

That's going to save me a lot of mortgage payments.

Fri, 20 May 2011 13:45:13 UTC | #628782

Mogles's Avatar Comment 2 by Mogles

If ever there was a case for forcibly removing the custody of children, this is it

Fri, 20 May 2011 13:46:53 UTC | #628783

Sara12's Avatar Comment 3 by Sara12

At least the kids here have some good sense. I do feel bad for them though, especially that they've been cheated out of college savings and that their parents provide them no emotional support. I hate to think what that family and probably many others like them will be like on 22 May. The mom in the article posted in the comments section of the NYT that she felt the article "misrepresented" her and her family. Hopefully these kids' friends and their parents are willing and able to provide support where these parents have gone off the deep end.

Fri, 20 May 2011 13:50:57 UTC | #628785

Rary113's Avatar Comment 4 by Rary113

Comment 2 by Mogles :

Agreed.

Fri, 20 May 2011 13:52:34 UTC | #628786

ReasonableRichard's Avatar Comment 5 by ReasonableRichard

Where do you even begin with these idiots? They're actively cheering on the thought of dying!

They'll get the ridicule they deserve on sunday no doubt.

Fri, 20 May 2011 13:59:52 UTC | #628787

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 6 by sunbeamforjeebus

If it was my kids they would say,ok Dad give me the deeds to the house,your car log book,transfer all your assets to us and we look forward to waving to you as you go up in the sky-you fucking twat!

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:02:18 UTC | #628789

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 7 by Agrajag

This is what keeps social workers in business. That's one fucked-up family that will need some serious help come 6 PM Saturday.
Steve

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:04:10 UTC | #628791

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 8 by SaganTheCat

this is unreal, so presumibly any of these believers who does not find themselves mgically transported to heaven by sunday morning will be of the opinion they're going to hell

awesome! time to evangelise these lost souls!

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:22:27 UTC | #628796

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 9 by Ignorant Amos

Absolutely deluded, barking at the moon, mad, maniacal, fruitcakes.....who said religion causes no harm? It poisons everything. If one thing comes out of this, perhaps it might be that the kids realise just how much bunkem it all really is and take a more enlightened path.

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:24:00 UTC | #628798

JemmyButton's Avatar Comment 10 by JemmyButton

What I don't get is how somebody can believe this nonsense yet still manage to dress themselves in the morning.

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:29:00 UTC | #628800

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 11 by SaganTheCat

never have i felt a greater desire to visit church on sunday

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:29:43 UTC | #628801

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 12 by hemidemisemigod

The human mind is an amazing and mysterious thing. I wonder if either of these parents have any history of mental illness. It always amazes me that a person can function quite normally in society e.g. able to dress, tie shoe laces, drive a car safely, program a video recorder, hold down a well-paid job, etc. and yet be slave to a such a bizarre and unfounded delusion.

"Is the world really going to end on Saturday?"

"Well, opinion is divided. I've calculated that it is but the rest of the world says it isn't"

"Oh, in that case I'll cancel the milk for next week."

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:32:26 UTC | #628803

superbeanson's Avatar Comment 13 by superbeanson

What must it be like to have such retarded parents? Full marks to the kids- but christ that must be embarrassing, just look at those t-shirts, wow

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:33:42 UTC | #628804

SnaevarTor's Avatar Comment 14 by SnaevarTor

Somebody's going to wake up disappointed on the 22nd.

Worse still for the people who really buy into this nonsense: They're going to have to endure being heckled for months and months about the whole thing. ("Ooh, feeling LEFT BEHIND, are we?" etc).

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:36:51 UTC | #628806

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 15 by thatgingerscouser

Well it's been 21 May 2011 for 42 minutes here in Australia, and, so far the world hasn't ended. BIG SURPRISE. Oh well, there's always 2012 for the feeble-minded harbingers of doom to wibble on about. Oh joy.

Graham

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:43:09 UTC | #628809

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 16 by Tyler Durden

Last weekend, the family traveled to New York, the parents dragging their reluctant children through a Manhattan street fair in a final effort to spread the word.

“My mom has told me directly that I’m not going to get into heaven,” Grace Haddad, 16, said. “At first it was really upsetting, but it’s what she honestly believes.”

This is the textbook definition of psychological/emotional child abuse, according to US Dept of Health.

How very sad.

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:44:59 UTC | #628810

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 17 by Paula Kirby

SomeGreyBloke on YouTube has some good advice for those who think they're going to be ruptured, sorry, raptured tomorrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hmX-lZOYcVA

I especially liked the reference to 'Howard Camping, the world's foremost expert on Raptural Science'.

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:51:27 UTC | #628813

Anvil's Avatar Comment 18 by Anvil

I've just been on one of the Judgement Day websites that told me there is still time to buy my 'Rapture Ready' / 'Ready To Rapture' & 'I Survived Judgement Day' Tee shirt for $20.40!

I clicked on the tee shirt icon (I know it would be giving the morons money but what a souvenir!) only to be told that part of the site was down due to high demand or maintenance?

Anvil.

EDIT: I've just been back and the site is up again:

I Survived Judgement Day 2011 Men's Heavyweight T-Shirt Classic-cut t-shirt for men, 100% Cotton, Brand: Fruit of the Loom or Gildan

Shrinkage levels after washing fall within 1-4% of industry standards.

Details

Sure that you will survive the Rapture on May 21 2011? Buy your "I Survived Judgement Day 2011" shirt now!

$20.40

It appears there is a Laundromat in Paradise!

Just as well, what with everybody wearing white 'n all?

Anvil.

Fri, 20 May 2011 14:56:23 UTC | #628816

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 19 by thatgingerscouser

Is child-abuse mandatory in religious circles? Or is it just an optional extra... like a sunroof?

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:07:19 UTC | #628820

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 20 by Capt. Bloodeye

'End of the World Blues', a lecture by Ian McEwan, is interesting and of relevance to this psychological error. You can find it in 'The Portable Atheist' by The Hitch.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:09:08 UTC | #628821

Haizum74's Avatar Comment 21 by Haizum74

Tomorrow at 6:00pm I will be watching TV, on it will be Terminator 2. Thats the only judgement day happening in my house and life.

Utter nutters.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:10:31 UTC | #628822

rookieatheist's Avatar Comment 22 by rookieatheist

Comment 15 by thatgingerscouser :

Graham

Just read that it's supposed to happen at 6pm local time. So you've still got another 16 hours or so before it really happens ;)

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:13:55 UTC | #628825

skeelo's Avatar Comment 23 by skeelo

WINGNUTS - great tag! Sums these people up perfectly, too..

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:19:50 UTC | #628829

Anvil's Avatar Comment 24 by Anvil

Comment 15 by thatgingerscouser

Graham

It's not due till six pm, Graham. You'll be laughing the other side of your face come tea time, mate!

That's when the earthquake starts. Nothing to do with tectonic plates... simply announcing the arrival of the sweet baby Jesus. Bit awkward, apparently? Clumsy Child Syndrome, so I've heard?

I don't know that for certain, mind. Just what I was told. Better, er... better not tell anyone I said that. last thing I want to do is spread a bit of jangle.

Anyway, got any china on display, better put it in a cupboard, or wrap it in newspaper

Anvil.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:25:54 UTC | #628832

Fergo's Avatar Comment 25 by Fergo

ill be in the bar in sydney. but my mates and i were thinking if we lived in the bible belt in the US, we would get a heap of old shoes, pants and shirts and put them around the towns, to make it look like people were raptured, and then watch people panic as they think they have been left behind. turn it into a drinking game or something. may not sound like a very nice thing to do, but since they wont listen to reason, and believe in fairy tales, i might as well enjoy the experience. one atheist is offering to adopt the raptured's pets for a price of $135...up front of course. he has made around $34,000 in the last few weeks. these people are the very defenition of crazy

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:33:34 UTC | #628836

cw's Avatar Comment 26 by cw

There are three things I find upsetting about this whole thing.

First, because of the nature of the delusion, there is no way to actually convince this kind of person they are wrong. Even if one could call them up on Sunday morning and say, "Hey, we're all still here. What do you make of that?" they would immediately revise their beliefs.

In a way, their "mistake" about the date would only strengthen their initial conviction.

The second thing that bothers me is the sad attitude that some of these people have taken as a result of this belief. The world is going to end, so I haven't helped save money for my child to go to college. I've quit my job because my family won't need the money after Saturday.

And these two issues combine to issue number three: look at the responses from people quoted in that article and the emotional toil those responses have on the people they claim to love.

(I'm sure most everyone has read the article, but here are the excerpted quotes anyway.)

From Grace Haddad, 16:

“My mom has told me directly that I’m not going to get into heaven ... At first it was really upsetting, but it’s what she honestly believes.”

From Gary Daniels, 27:

“I know I’m not going to see them again, but they are very certain they are going to see me, and that’s where I feel so sad, ... I weep to know that they don’t have any idea that this overwhelming thing is coming right at them, pummeling toward them like a meteor.”

From Joseph Haddad, 14:

“People look at my family and think I’m like that ... I keep my friends as far away from them as possible. ... I don’t really have any motivation to try to figure out what I want to do anymore,” he said, “because my main support line, my parents, don’t care.”

And from Joseph's mother, Abby:

“[You] lose friends and you lose family members in the process. ... I have mixed feelings ... I’m very excited about the Lord’s return, but I’m fearful that my children might get left behind. But you have to accept God’s will.”

I'm in agreement with the others here who have declared this child abuse, plain and simple. But I fear that due of the religious justification for these parent's actions, nothing can be done about it.

Aside from all that, I did see one funny comment (elsewhere on the Internet) that suggested the following: if you know anyone who believes they will be raptured tomorrow, just leave a few sets of empty clothes on their front yard so in the morning they'll go into panic mode for having been left behind.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:36:34 UTC | #628838

redbaroness's Avatar Comment 27 by redbaroness

Well, we survived all the other 'end of the world' predictions. I reckon the evidence says we might just survive this one too! All this hockum is great for the atheist cause so we should embrace it and wear the T-shirt proudly. I feel sorry for the kids though.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:38:57 UTC | #628843

cw's Avatar Comment 28 by cw

Dang it, fergo1988 beat me to the same rapture joke by three minutes!

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:40:00 UTC | #628845

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 29 by irate_atheist

Comment 16 by Tyler Durden -

How very sad.

And the fucktards get their own special get out clauses all over the place:

Exceptions

A number of States provide exceptions in their reporting laws that exempt certain acts or omissions from their statutory definitions of child abuse and neglect. For instance, in 12 States and the District of Columbia, financial inability to provide for a child is exempted from the definition of neglect.19 In 16 States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, physical discipline of a child, as long as it is reasonable and causes no bodily injury to the child, is an exception to the definition of abuse.20

The CAPTA amendments of 1996 added provisions specifying that nothing in the Act be construed as establishing a Federal requirement that a parent or legal guardian provide any medical service or treatment that is against the religious beliefs of the parent or legal guardian (42 U.S.C. § 5106i). At the State level, 31 States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico provide in their civil child abuse reporting laws an exception to the definition of child abuse and neglect for parents who choose not to seek medical care for their children due to religious beliefs. 21 However, 16 of the 31 States and Puerto Rico authorize the court to order medical treatment for the child when the child's condition warrants intervention.22 Three States specifically provide an exception for Christian Science treatment.23 Five States require mandated reporters to report instances when a child is not receiving medical care so that an investigation can be made.

Makes me more than a little irate.

Fri, 20 May 2011 15:56:43 UTC | #628852

ajs261's Avatar Comment 30 by ajs261

This is so annoying. Couldn't this have happened BEFORE I had to sit through my exams? God is so inconsiderate.

Fri, 20 May 2011 16:12:57 UTC | #628857