← My Take: Doomsdayers show what’s wrong with all religion

My Take: Doomsdayers show what’s wrong with all religion - Comments

foundationist's Avatar Comment 1 by foundationist

From the homepage of the eBible Fellowship:

This is what we are to do, the fathers and mothers of our day who know these things, who know that the end is coming. We cannot just sit down and have discussions with our children about college education or, “Oh, will it not be wonderful when you grow up and get married and have children of your own?” We would love to talk to them about future occupations, about being a doctor or a lawyer or a policeman or a soldier, things far off in the distance; but no, we cannot get into these discussions. We have to stop them and say, “Son, daughter, please understand, the future that you are talking about is never going to come because the end is at hand.”

We must share this truth that we have learned from the Bible with them, praying all the while, “O Lord, open their eyes, open their ears that they might understand and see and take warning.”

To be found here

This is evil and wicked beyond belief. How many parents are sitting down this evening telling their children that the world will come to an end tomorrow? Sorry if I appear emotional, but I just put my own little son to bed telling him his favorite good night story and the thought of what these poor kids are going through is unbearable for me.

Fri, 20 May 2011 19:11:54 UTC | #628930

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 1 by foundationist

Not one bit of it mate, I'm gutted myself. We had a discussion here recently on the subject of childhood indoctrination and whether it should be deemed child abuse. Well, I say hell yeah it is. Children should not be subject to this nonsense and anyone saying it is okay should be committed with the rest of the retarded looneys.

Fri, 20 May 2011 19:38:24 UTC | #628940

cixelsyd5's Avatar Comment 3 by cixelsyd5

Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos :

Comment 1 by foundationist

Not one bit of it mate, I'm gutted myself. We had a discussion here recently on the subject of childhood indoctrination and whether it should be deemed child abuse. Well, I say hell yeah it is. Children should not be subject to this nonsense and anyone saying it is okay should be committed with the rest of the retarded looney's.

Ignorant Amos, can you give me a link to the discussion on indoctrination as child abuse? I would love to read the comments there. I am currently having a debate over this issue with a friend. I, of course, believe it is abusive to children to indoctrinate them and preach hell and fire to them. The problem is, what should be done about it? I often get asked the question, "So, do you think that people who indoctrinate children should be locked up since they are abusing children?" While I do not think incarceration is the answer to the problem, if I were to say no to the above question, then I would get asked, "So, people who abuse children should not be locked up?" So, you see the trap created there.

Just wondering what your and other's comments would be on the issue. What should be done about indoctrinating children and preaching the gross fear of hell and torment to them if we consider it child abuse? Thanks!

Ben

Fri, 20 May 2011 19:49:43 UTC | #628947

Toe Feynstein's Avatar Comment 4 by Toe Feynstein

This is so unsettling. I wonder if the human brain is simply a vestigial structure and our best days are behind us. From my perspective, there is no large degree of difference between these followers and the "devout" people attending my nearby church. Once a reasonable person has acquiesced to Pascals wager, then they've thrown away reality's rudder and are open to any proposition on the outside chance that a magic being might rule the universe. So it's really not a long hop, skip, and a jump before they're also packing for the rapture or Guyana or Hale-Bopp's tail.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:10:44 UTC | #628952

Corylus's Avatar Comment 5 by Corylus

Victims will be broken. Families will be damaged. Lives will be ruined.

Looks like some pets will be no more as well.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:13:07 UTC | #628953

BloodywombatTSI's Avatar Comment 6 by BloodywombatTSI

Hi... I usually lurk, but just signed up. Just spoke to my mother about this rapture thing, whom believes in this kind of crap. I just stopped within the past year or two because of science documentaries. Got tired of my family rolling their eyes at everything I'd realized science has discovered (but ONLY anything that conflicts with their beliefs of course). This frustration led me to watch documentaries about the construction of the bible, and then the harms of religion, many featuring Richard Dawkins, which led me here.

So while my family, my mother in this case, believe this stuff, they don't believe in the rapture or that it's happening tomorrow or that the world is officially ending on October or whenever. She told me about some news story where they asked a woman if she believed in the rapture tomorrow. The woman said "no" and of course quoted the bible verse about "we shall not know the day nor the hour, he shall come like a thief in the night." (I'm paraphrasing of course). My mother brought this up chuckling a bit, as if that's the reason all these people are ignorant for believing the rapture is tomorrow rather than the all of the bible's extraordinary claims being BS.

I find my families' beliefs incredibly frustrating and constantly harp on it. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself. So I tried to use this as evidence of the harmfulness of religion, knowing I'd be unsuccessful. Unfortunately, for my family and many others like them, I can see that the rapture not happening tomorrow will not shake their faith in the slightest. Very frustrating I find. I hope though, that this makes the backlash more intense from some of them as well as the rational thinkers already in the cultural fight.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:17:49 UTC | #628955

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 7 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 5 by Corylus : Looks like some pets will be no more as well.

Poor animals - a fucktard for an "owner".

... evidence of the global earthquake will have started near the international dateline in New Zealand ... When New York and Chicago and Denver go down, my animals will go down.

.. but it looks like the animals have a chance. That is a lot of miles for an earthquake not to happen in.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:27:08 UTC | #628958

Anvil's Avatar Comment 8 by Anvil

Comment 5 by Corylus

Victims will be broken. Families will be damaged. Lives will be ruined.

Looks like some pets will be no more as well.

So sad.

Did you read the comments, Corylus?

The first is actually really humorous, especially the location:

Hey, everybody, if we survive the foretold earthquake, you're all welcome to celebrate at the Family Barn Dance this Saturday! (Somehow our press release didn't get printed.)

No partner or experience necessary!

This is probably the easiest kind of dancing ever because the caller teaches every dance before the music starts and then calls it while the musicians play. Even third graders can do it! Ah, the music! Real musicians play Irish and/or Blue Grass, which means it's impossible to be grumpy. We’ll have circle mixers and reels – which are long lines where your partner is in the other line.

When: Saturdays, May 21 & June 18 7:00 to 10:00 pm Where: Sonoma United Methodist Church, 109 Patten Street $5 adults $2 youth (12-21) Under 12 -- free

Take a look at what contra dances are like, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1JkDy_eW8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3dQkJ_ElBI

The Third from a former Pastor of Mr Tinker raises some really valid points regarding the ad homs and strawmen in the article and portrays Mr Tinker as he should be portrayed: as a victim of the fraud Camping.

Sadly, the Pastor then goes on to spout even more woo of his own:

Dear Mr. Bolling:

I read your article in today's paper regarding Mr. Bill Tinker. I found your article to be demeaning, disrespectful, and derrogatory to Mr. Tinker. First, Mr. Tinker is certainly NOT a prophet. He has not claimed to have received a revelation from God; he is simply committed to believing, following, and broadcasting the false teachings of the false, self-proclaimed prophet of doom, Harold Camping. I am not writing to protest the false prophecies. I am writing to express my displeasure at the way Mr. Tinker was ridiculed and his character assaulted in this article. I was Mr. Tinker's pastor for several years, and I can tell you that, though admittedly a bit eccentric, he is a strong believer in God and salvation through Jesus Christ His Son. He loves his family, loves his animals, and is generous beyond belief. Bill was accused of having "drug addicts camping on his lot," when in actuality he has a heart for the homeless and does what he can to help them. The article brings up the "loads of trash" and old vehicles in his yard. While this may in fact cause concern amongst his neighbors, the fact is that the condition of his yard and accumulation of vehicles have absolutely nothing to do with his proclamation of Harold Camping's heresy. I firmly believe that you could have written this article on a religious issue without spreading unverified gossip about Mr. Tinker's efforts (or lack thereof) to maintain his property and the "up to" 40 liens on his property. These issues have nothing to do with the subject, and only serve to ridicule a good man (and a veteran) who unfortunately been deceived by a false prophet. And unless the article was about his relationship with his neighbors, then his neighbors' opinion of him also have nothing to do with the subject and should not have been published.

The Sonoma Alliance Church has committed an entire 24-hour period to fervently pray for Mr. Tinker and any other deceived souls following Mr. Camping. We have also extended our arms of welcome to anyone deceived by the teaching of the earth-ending event this Saturday when such misleads wake up Sunday morning the 22nd and find that nothing has changed.

Rev. John R. Wayne

Assoc. Pastor, Sonoma Alliance Church

jrwayne@comcast.net

I wonder what date the good Pastor thinks it'll all happen?

Apologies for the long cut'n'paste but it really is worth a read - if only to comprehend the dissonance these people experience.

Anvil.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:37:13 UTC | #628962

Anvil's Avatar Comment 9 by Anvil

Comment 6 by BloodywombatTSI

Hi... I usually lurk, but just signed up.

Just read your post - know where you're coming from - welcome.

Anvil.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:40:39 UTC | #628963

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 10 by KenChimp

Comment 4 by Toe Feynstein :

I say let 'em go take a long walk off a short plank while doing potassium cyanide shooters, if that's what they want. Unfortunately these wackos aren't content doing in themselves, they want everyone around them to kiss oblivion on its toothy mouth first!

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:43:07 UTC | #628964

BloodywombatTSI's Avatar Comment 11 by BloodywombatTSI

Comment 9 by Anvil :

Comment 6 by BloodywombatTSI

Hi... I usually lurk, but just signed up.

Just read your post - know where you're coming from - welcome.

Anvil.

Thank you for the welcome.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:50:36 UTC | #628966

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 12 by Stevehill

I just wish these fucktards really would disappear. Life for us left-behinds would be so much better.

Can't we interest them in a Jonestown-for-Dummies manual?

Sorry, maybe a bit harsh. But they do piss me off. A lot.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:55:27 UTC | #628970

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 13 by The Truth, the light

I'm enjoying the apocalypse so far here in New Zealand. It's a beautiful sunny calm day. Had a relaxing breakfast. All lovely and peaceful.

Such a shame all the religious nuts won't be raptured to make the day even better.

Fri, 20 May 2011 20:57:41 UTC | #628971

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 14 by chawinwords

These people are simply religiously insane. They are likely to be job sane, driving sane, shopping sane, and on and on. But because they believe in some connection to a spiritual world, indeed, in a connection they practice and communicate with in their minds, I guess you could say, using a religious term, they are possessed -- and religiously, hopelessly, insane.

Fri, 20 May 2011 21:17:48 UTC | #628980

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 15 by rod-the-farmer

Perhaps we could have followers of reason report in just after 6 PM local time, all around the world, to say all is well in their time zone. At least the rest of us will have some warning.....

Fri, 20 May 2011 21:18:13 UTC | #628981

ergaster's Avatar Comment 16 by ergaster

Richard called belief in gods a delusion. Why not call it for what it is, a monothematic delusion?

These rapture people have a serious brain wiring disorder and it fits perfecly under the description monothematically deluded. No reason can help them, only medicine can when we have them. I would go one further and call all religious people being monothematically deluded, but that would be insulting so I shan't.

Fri, 20 May 2011 21:22:12 UTC | #628984

johnt16's Avatar Comment 17 by johnt16

Twitter @NASA Saturday at 7:11a ET/11:11 UTC shuttle & station crew will talk to Pope Benedict. It will air on NASA TV. Details: http://bit.ly/kaa5t8

The self-appointed chief spokesman of irrationality gets to speak to one of the last Shuttle crews on the Space Station. Why?

Fri, 20 May 2011 21:41:19 UTC | #628990

Corylus's Avatar Comment 18 by Corylus

Comment 7 by God fearing Atheist :

Possibly a smidgeon of rationality with a hedging of bets, or even enough fondness for the animals to put things off - both of which I would take.

-=-=-=-=-=

Comment 8 by Anvil :

Did you read the comments, Corylus?

Oh yes.

Anvil.

Indeed, worth a read.

Fri, 20 May 2011 22:01:18 UTC | #628998

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 19 by Tyler Durden

Comment 17 by johnt16 :

Twitter @NASA - shuttle & station crew will talk to Pope Benedict

Because Benedict's bullshit is simply out of this world?

Fri, 20 May 2011 22:11:42 UTC | #629004

old-toy-boy's Avatar Comment 20 by old-toy-boy

Victims will be broken. Families will be damaged. Lives will be ruined.

Not sure if I fully agree wite you there.

Because tomorrow these kids will know for certain that their parents can be wrong. Perhaps because they (the parents) were either lying, gullible or stupid. Whatever, they will be wrong! That will be an important and useful lesson for a growing child.

Fri, 20 May 2011 22:13:03 UTC | #629005

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 21 by Tyler Durden

A humerous take on "the rapture" from NBC Nightly News

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:12:06 UTC | #629023

reebus's Avatar Comment 22 by reebus

I wonder if i can get laid before the end of the world. Might as well go out with a bang.

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:13:39 UTC | #629024

RationalConclusion's Avatar Comment 23 by RationalConclusion

I like Dave Silverman. He's an entertaining, intelligent speaker and a charismatic guy. I do have one minor gripe with him though. He repeatedly says that he 'knows' the bible is a myth. I think that this assertion of knowledge makes him sound a little arrogant and it puts the burden of proof on him. I would much rather he would say something like 'he thinks is a myth', 'in all probability it's a myth' or 'there's no reason to believe that it's true'.

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:18:08 UTC | #629026

BloodywombatTSI's Avatar Comment 24 by BloodywombatTSI

Comment 20 by old-toy-boy :

Interesting that you say that. That was one of the first steps I took to atheism. I didn't have a failed apocalypse or something drive me to that though. I reasoned through it on my own, because I didn't want to believe. I was fearful of hell and decided dog sounded like hitler with all the cleansing nonsense. I then gave science a chance, something I'd been trained to scoff at since birth, and it made a whole lot more sense.

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:23:43 UTC | #629027

Drosera's Avatar Comment 25 by Drosera

Comment 23 by RationalConclusion :

The Bible is a myth that says that it's not a myth. But that doesn't make it real. All the miracles that should have left evidence (Adam & Eve, the Flood, Exodus, the resurrection of Jesus, etc.) haven't left a shred of evidence. Ergo, the conclusion that it's a myth is perfectly valid. This has nothing to do with arrogance. The truth doesn't have to be toned down.

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:51:49 UTC | #629031

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 26 by Vicktor

Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

In Islam, parents not only indoctrinate their children but are also religiously sanctioned to beat their children starting 10 years of age if they do not perform the daily prayers.

Sat, 21 May 2011 00:13:27 UTC | #629035

rui's Avatar Comment 27 by rui

I suppose America as the big problem of free market religion. Anything goes. The lamest the better. It's like those American Reality Shows. The public screams like crazy ... a rockstar is Born (for 15 minutes at least). I bet the problem with religion in America has it's roots in that part of the Pop culture that loves Lame stuff, Oprah Style. Just appeall to the heart, expose some sick child to the public and get yourself a nice fundraiser. YEAH, FUCK YEAH. No rationality needed. Results guaranteed.

Sat, 21 May 2011 00:37:07 UTC | #629041

erindorothy's Avatar Comment 28 by erindorothy

Made furious yet again, and to off your 'pets' as well.. put the nutter inside please.

But on the bright side, it's a calm day here in Wellington NZ. Bit overcast and threatening rain. But no sign of god zapping us yet.

Sat, 21 May 2011 00:38:35 UTC | #629042

massivedynamic's Avatar Comment 29 by massivedynamic

Comment 13 by The Truth, the light :

I'm in NZ too and its just like an ordinary saturday. Perhaps we just have to wait a few hours until America clocks over to the 21st (Because everything in existence to American extremists revolve around them) :-p I also think its horrible that some people will be telling their children the end of the world is coming......(thinking what to say next but most comments here sum it all up)

Sat, 21 May 2011 01:08:33 UTC | #629049

massivedynamic's Avatar Comment 30 by massivedynamic

Comment 28 by erindorothy :

I think its because we actually don't exist.I mean after all, we're part of Australia, right? It's times like this I wish aliens would come say hello and throw all of religions ideas out the window. Then again, I've heard some priest/pastor say that if aliens did come, we'd just have to show them the way of God. Ha!!

Sat, 21 May 2011 01:15:42 UTC | #629050