← Tulsa nontheists come ‘Out of the Closet’ in FFRF campaign

Tulsa nontheists come ‘Out of the Closet’ in FFRF campaign - Comments

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 1 by QuestioningKat

Fabulous! I love the positive message and the "happy faces" set against the sweet pastel backgrounds.

(Hi, I'm new here. I didn't find any place for introductions, so I guess I'll just jump right in....)

Wed, 25 May 2011 01:12:20 UTC | #630538

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 2 by HappyPrimate

Welcome to Questioning kat! Hope you enjoy this site as much as I have over the years. Tulsa OK is a hot bed of the hard core religious so I hope the billboards last their time. The billboards are very well done. Getting us nonbelievers out of the closet is important.

Wed, 25 May 2011 02:29:44 UTC | #630569

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 3 by Alternative Carpark

"Atheist by Default" is probably the most powerful slogan of all. Certainly there is no better counter to the, frankly, ridiculous non-argument that atheism is also a religion.

Wed, 25 May 2011 04:40:57 UTC | #630588

SnaevarTor's Avatar Comment 4 by SnaevarTor

Countdown until religious groups in Tulsa deride the campaign's message as strident and intolerant: 3...2...

Wed, 25 May 2011 04:58:21 UTC | #630590

Yakov's Avatar Comment 5 by Yakov

I lived in Tulsa for a few years and it's definitely not one of the most tolerant cities. Wish I was there now to see their reaction!

Wed, 25 May 2011 07:58:01 UTC | #630630

Crimbly's Avatar Comment 6 by Crimbly

So shrill, so strident with their reasonable arguments, moral lives, and happy families!

Wed, 25 May 2011 08:13:54 UTC | #630633

Haizum74's Avatar Comment 7 by Haizum74

Not sure I agree with the 'Reality is my god and my religion' Isnt that giving ammo to the religious lot 'Oh so you believe in a god then'. You really do need to spell it out to them as they attempt to find loopholes in anything you say.

Wed, 25 May 2011 08:39:04 UTC | #630639

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 8 by Bipedal Primate

A bland and diffuse message wrapped in the glorious aesthetics of your everyday run-of the-mill diaper commercials. Cringe-inducing and slightly revolting cuteness where the bottom line is "atheists are people too".

I guess this is the correct way to talk to a fundamentalist America submerged in it's own fluffy bunny family value hormones.

Wed, 25 May 2011 09:54:31 UTC | #630668

Anvil's Avatar Comment 9 by Anvil

Comment 1 by QuestioningKat

Welcome, QuestioningKat.

Comment 7 by Haizum74

(...) You really do need to spell it out to them as they attempt to find loopholes in anything you say.

The camera moves in a slow zoom to the smiling face of the Mother with the corresponding Voice -Over:

"After much deliberation, Jennifer decided on the Scientific Method"

[Sparkly Tooth FX]

END.

Anvil.

Wed, 25 May 2011 09:58:52 UTC | #630671

Hellboy2's Avatar Comment 10 by Hellboy2

Welcome aboard QuestioningKat! You'll like it here...promise!

Okay, brilliant billboards, (like the idea of individual quotes) but I can't help think that all those normal, pleasant, smiling faces are going to be perceived as one smack in the mouth after another to the religious groups in Tulsa. Sadly, it won't be long before they are all defaced by the wackos.

Incidentally, I do admire the people depicted; if they are real citizens of Tulsa then I can only assume they are prepared for any verbal or physical abuse from the 'loving, tolerant and forgiving' Christians.

P.S I would love something like this in the UK - okay, we've had the 'atheist buses' but a national billboard campaign similar to this would highlight the fact that atheists - on a large scale - exist here too. Plus, I for one would be interested to see the 'messages' they will invariably be defaced with!...too cynical, moi?

Wed, 25 May 2011 10:02:58 UTC | #630676

Haizum74's Avatar Comment 11 by Haizum74

Yeh I reckon you are right there. What I am having trouble with is that I feel we are getting like the religious folk in the way we are going about spreading our atheistic views. It just comes across as 'samey' and it bothers me somewhat. I havent seen much advertising for it up north (Yorkshire) as of yet although we are rather quiet up here when it comes to Atheism, or so it appears.

Comment 9 by Anvil :

Comment 7 by Haizum74

I think they will try to do that regardless. Put up a poster with the simple phrase 'No GOD!' and sit back and wait for the sophistry to begin. From the beginning - a few years back, now, - I was never enamoured by the idea of Atheist Advertising? Sat here in front of this keyboard I'm finding it hard to remember why? Possibly something to do with not making a fuss, y'know, being embarrassed in that very British sort of a way, or not wanting to be associated with organised whatevery?

Glad to say I was totally wrong. Love all of this. All of it - from the cheesey to the sublime. I'd like to see it regularly on TV. The Whole Twelve Yards, or whatever it is that you yanks say - from "Hi, I'm Tracey, and I like pink and children and frills, and I'm an Atheist" to "Genital Mutilation is a Serious Crime!" How about a stock Catholic Family portrait shot: Mother, Father, Parish Priest, Fourteen Kids, taken on the lawn outside the parish church. The children all have their hands together as in prayer (this is standard fare from my childhood).

Wed, 25 May 2011 10:14:53 UTC | #630682

Anvil's Avatar Comment 12 by Anvil

Comment 8 by Bipedal Primate

Yes, I agree. I think this strategy is spot on. "Atheists are normal people, too". I get the impression that in America atheists are often portrayed as people with horns.

Though a dual strategy of ridicule is needed, as well. It gives the subliminal impression of choice: Religion (and stoopidity) on the one hand - Reason (and normality) on the other.

Anvil.

Wed, 25 May 2011 10:15:01 UTC | #630683

Anvil's Avatar Comment 13 by Anvil

Comment 11 by Haizum74

As I've said above, this is probably the genius of these American ad's, that they are competing in a marketplace of perceived normality (sameness).

I agree though, it wouldn't be appropriate for Yorkshire? Something a bit nearer the knuckle, perhaps?

INT'. Catholic Confessional. DAY.

Geoffrey Boycott is dressed as a catholic priest.

In his mouth he has a pipe.

In his cupped hands he is holding an assortment of chicken bones.

END.

Anvil.

Wed, 25 May 2011 10:41:10 UTC | #630695

Haizum74's Avatar Comment 14 by Haizum74

Ha ha, that might do it. Or, more simply, RELIGION - Thas nowt so queer as folk!

INT'. Catholic Confessional. DAY.

Geoffrey Boycott is dressed as a catholic priest. In his mouth he has a pipe.

In his cupped hands he is holding an assortment of chicken bones. After briefly shaking his cupped-hands he throws said chicken bones onto the small tray in front of the confessional grill.

After a perfunctorily pause, he takes the pipe from his mouth and leans towards grill. Boycott: "Ayoop! That'll be four 'Hail Mary's' and two 'Our Fathers', Now Fuck Off!

END.

Anvil.

Wed, 25 May 2011 10:52:37 UTC | #630701

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 15 by Bipedal Primate

@Anvil

What I'd like to see is billboards exploring the essence of Dr. Andy Thomson's "Why We Believe In Gods" (I boycott the parentheses of that title.) with comparisons of religion to fast food.

"Science unveils why you are as stupid as you are fat."

Except with less shrill and stridency and more babies and kittens.

Wed, 25 May 2011 11:04:42 UTC | #630706

Red Foot Okie's Avatar Comment 16 by Red Foot Okie

I salute my Tulsa neighbors!

My job sends me to T-town quite often and the relentless heavy-handed messages on theistic billboards is maddening. I'm glad there is a pushback.

Also, for those who don't know, Oklahoma City and Tulsa were a couple of the lucky cities picked by the LDS church for their "Momons, not as crazy as you think" campaign, so it is nice to see unbelievers following up on that.

I'll have to donate to the cause!

Wed, 25 May 2011 12:33:33 UTC | #630737

wcapehart's Avatar Comment 17 by wcapehart

Nicely done. But one question. What's a polyatheist? Rather muddies the waters I think. Most christians (despite the 3 but really only 1 thing) also don't believe in multiple gods.

Wed, 25 May 2011 14:42:32 UTC | #630790

ccsflyhigh's Avatar Comment 18 by ccsflyhigh

Anvil wrote "I get the impression that in America atheists are often portrayed as people with horns."

Being from the U.S. I agree. I think atheists are often painted with the same ugly brush as white supremacists, nazis, sex offenders, the KKK, and any other nasty group you can think of. Glad to see a campaign focused on the normalcy of atheism. I get so sick of seeing god everywhere, it's high time to counter all this religious BS with some reality.

Wed, 25 May 2011 14:44:37 UTC | #630792

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 19 by cheesedoff17

Thumbs up Tulsa!

Wed, 25 May 2011 15:20:03 UTC | #630804

cerad's Avatar Comment 20 by cerad

Lets just hope that the people designing the display did their home work this time. Be kind of embarrassing if baby Sophia turned out to be a Christian.

And shall we start a pool on when the first sign will be defaced? Friday, May 27th is my entry.

Wed, 25 May 2011 18:04:03 UTC | #630847

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 21 by Bipedal Primate

@ cerad

I think they're deliberately designed to be close to un-defaceable. (My own verbal scorn aside, of course.) Could true believers really sling rotten eggs on billboards like these without feeling the horns growing on their own foreheads? I mean, even christians are people, aren't they?

I'm feeling brave today and I'll go so far as betting that they actually won't be defaced...

Wed, 25 May 2011 19:53:59 UTC | #630875

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 22 by rod-the-farmer

Interesting idea, to put real faces of local atheists up for viewing by the masses. We need follow-on reports on how these posters have been received, and what if anything happened to those individuals pictured.

Wed, 25 May 2011 20:00:11 UTC | #630878

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 23 by Alan4discussion

Comment 18 by ccsflyhigh

It's not new! My Viking ancestors had the same caricature abuse from Christian monks! (Viking helmets did not have horns despite some modern illustrations)

Wed, 25 May 2011 20:53:48 UTC | #630902

Foolishfool's Avatar Comment 24 by Foolishfool

Comment 8 by Bipedal Primate :

I agree 100% with what you say. They remind me of a picture on the side of a grocery truck that I once saw of a woman who was far too happy to be eating a muffin. Overall I suppose the message is banal enough to not immediately raise the hackles of the faithful and that counts for something.

Wed, 25 May 2011 22:51:36 UTC | #630943

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 25 by TobySaunders

Sam Harris has made a great point: the term 'atheist' is like 'aracist' or 'aastrologer' or 'a' anything... it comes across as silly & it probably gives a bad impression overall. 'Atheism' as a term 'puts the ball in the court' of theism too much. Rational, evidence based, ethical thinking should be promoted; I support asexism & aslavery & aomnivorism, but saying it is too funny!

Wed, 25 May 2011 23:22:35 UTC | #630948

SnaevarTor's Avatar Comment 26 by SnaevarTor

Aye, they're about as bland and inoffensive as it gets. I believe that's the whole point. Mark my words, though: Someone, somewhere is going to denounce them as "intolerant" or "offensive to Christian sensibilities" or something along those lines. Maybe they'll even throw in our old favorite chestnuts, like "strident" and "shrill".

Wed, 25 May 2011 23:44:15 UTC | #630952

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 27 by Bipedal Primate

If us secular folks could just be more bland, boring and ignorant in general then maybe they would listen to us. The others. Who would then be us. Or would that be the other way around?

Thu, 26 May 2011 01:43:40 UTC | #630967

perkyjay's Avatar Comment 28 by perkyjay

@ Haizum74: It's a bloody long time since I lived in Yorkshire - back in the late 40's, but I still consider myself a Yorkshireman. It was a "proper treat" to read "thas nowt so queer as folk" in your post. I'm now in my 80's and living in British Columbia,(Canada). I've been on this website since a couple of months after it started up - anyway just thought I say "hi".

Thu, 26 May 2011 02:19:14 UTC | #630975

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 29 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 1 by QuestioningKat :

Welcome, QuestioningKat! Great name!

What a very good effort this campaign is making! I hope it will have a good influence in the region. Although I must confess, the descriptions of the billboard backgrounds make me shuckle...

...a smiling psychology student pictured against a brilliant lavendar background.

...an agnostic with dimples pictured against a red background.

...mother of three and atheist, who is pictured smiling against a tranquil turquoise background.

Or am I the only one who finds this funny? Anyhow, great effort and campaign!!!

Thu, 26 May 2011 07:29:52 UTC | #631009

Anvil's Avatar Comment 30 by Anvil

Comment 15 by Bipedal Primate

@Anvil

"Science unveils why you are as stupid as you are fat."

Yes but... I have no idea (munch munch) what you mean?

Anvil.

ps:

*Comment 28 by perkyjay

@ Haizum74: It's a bloody long time since I lived in Yorkshire - back in the late 40's, but I still >consider myself a Yorkshireman. It was a "proper treat" to read "thas nowt so queer as folk" in >your post. I'm now in my 80's and living in British Columbia,(Canada). I've been on this >website since a couple of months after it started up - anyway just thought I say "hi".*

A few more words to make you feel homesick, Perkyjay:

Typhoo, Hovis, Marmite, Rickets.

Thu, 26 May 2011 09:24:03 UTC | #631036