← Fr Kit Cunningham's paedophile past: heads should roll after the Rosminian order's disgraceful cover-up

Fr Kit Cunningham's paedophile past: heads should roll after the Rosminian order's disgraceful cover-up - Comments

andyseaspray's Avatar Comment 5 by andyseaspray

Its sad that these kind of things have become old news, very sad, and disgusting.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:19:54 UTC | #641537

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 6 by Richard Dawkins

The remarkable thing about this article is that the author, Damian Thompson, is known as a militant Catholic apologist, and used to be Editor of the Catholic Herald.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:44:34 UTC | #641545

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 7 by MarkOnTheRiver

It was a painfully sad program to watch, and as you can probably imagine, an arkful of Catholicâ„¢ apologists on Thompson's blog site have been trying to effect maximum damage limitation. Which is why I ask all regular contributors for some help.

On that blog is a particularly odious character who calls himself "frere rabit". He doesn't like atheists, and me especially it would seem. Yesterday he posted this;

Don't jump to conclusions. One of the reasons I don't talk to you very much is you are blatantly judgmental. The other reason is you are clearly one of the most evil influences on the whole internet and you need a stake through the heart.

That backhanded compliment aside, I invited him to come here, and expressed the opinion that he would be chewed up and spat out by the rational thinkers, like a rancid hor d'oeuvre. He responded thus;

I caused total havoc on the Dawkins site, eighteen months ago, in my name of Frere Rabit and came out quite unscathed while they all began stabbing each other.

So what I am asking is, has anybody heard of "frere rabit" and his alleged and unlikely sounding havoc wreaking forray here? I don't remember him myself, but I'd like to just check before denouncing him to his Catholicâ„¢ confreres, the spotty liar that he is.

Many thanks.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:54:59 UTC | #641548

mmurray's Avatar Comment 8 by mmurray

Google returns nothing interesting when you search for

site:richarddawkins.net frere rabit

It just replaces frere by free and rabit by rabbit

Michael

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:59:56 UTC | #641551

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 9 by Stafford Gordon

Are such individuals pederasts before they take the cloth or do they become child rapists as a result of the absurd life choice they've made?

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:14:32 UTC | #641554

mmurray's Avatar Comment 10 by mmurray

Comment 5 by Stafford Gordon :

I don't think we fully understand this. There were no doubt some paedophiles who thought it an excellent career choice. The celibacy vow was hardly a constraint. As for the rest from the little I have read a lot of these people go back to the time when every good (large) Catholic family wanted one son to be a priest. Typically they joined the seminary around age 11 or 12 just when puberty was about to kick in. I imagine that with that and the usual Catholic madness that revolves around sex (see here for a modern day example) they ended up very confused about sex.

I've also read that a lot of them regarded sexually assaulting children as not compromising the all important chastity vow.

There are some other ideas here.

Michael

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:25:54 UTC | #641558

andyseaspray's Avatar Comment 11 by andyseaspray

I think it is undeniable that there are some priests that had paedophile motivation in choosing their career. It is also more feasable to think that more of them turned to paedophilia due to sexual frustration and the backwards attitude that catholic church has with sex.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:39:19 UTC | #641563

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 12 by MarkOnTheRiver

Comment 4 by mmurray

Google returns nothing interesting when you search for

site:richarddawkins.net frere rabit

It just replaces frere by free and rabit by rabbit

That's exactly what I got as well Michael. A search for richarddawkins.net + "frere rabit" returned no hits at all. As expected.

Thanks for responding.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:40:49 UTC | #641565

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 13 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:24:15 UTC | #641576

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 14 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:25:23 UTC | #641577

TrickyDicky's Avatar Comment 15 by TrickyDicky

Comment 2 by Richard Dawkins :

Maybe the "Scales have fallen from his eyes"

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:26:16 UTC | #641578

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 16 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:30:39 UTC | #641582

epeeist's Avatar Comment 17 by epeeist

Comment 3 by MarkOnTheRiver :

Not on the front page, but may be he was posting on the forums before the change to the site. Does the local or Google searches index the forums?

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:34:07 UTC | #641584

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 18 by thebaldgit

There is once again no surprise that a so-called trendy catholic priest gets caught up in another paedophile scandal. It is even less surprising that the catholic church rather than admit to its guilt, do what it does best which is to lie and deny. Another tragic story and won't be the last.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:35:57 UTC | #641585

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 19 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:36:55 UTC | #641586

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 20 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:38:01 UTC | #641587

MarkOnTheRiver's Avatar Comment 21 by MarkOnTheRiver

Comment 13 by epeeist

I had a quick look at the old form postings, and looked for frere rabit among the members list. He wasn't there, but may have either withdrawn or been kicked off.

A Google search for forum.richarddawkins.net + "frere rabit" also returned zero results.

I think our naughty bunny has been fibbing. I hope he remembers to confess it.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:44:19 UTC | #641589

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Here is the BBC iPlayer link:

Abused: Breaking the Silence

Can't find a samizdat You Tube version for anyone outside the UK, I'm afraid. I'll check again later unless anyone here has it recorded to a hard drive/disc and can upload it onto their own channel.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:45:40 UTC | #641592

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 23 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:47:13 UTC | #641593

Rene Boxem's Avatar Comment 24 by Rene Boxem

Mr. Thompson sounds utterly and personally disappointed in mr. Cunningham and the Rosminian order. Even then, I have no doubt it took some courage on his part to write this and have it published.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:18:12 UTC | #641605

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 25 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:41:52 UTC | #641610

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 26 by I'm_not

There was also a piece about this loathsome individual in the Observer by Peter Stanford

He was my priest and my friend. Then I found out he was a paedophile

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:48:31 UTC | #641625

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 27 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 3 by MarkOnTheRiver

Eighteen months ago we had the new site format...I don't miss much on here, some might call that a bit sad I know, but there was no member of that name that I can remember. It is academic anyway....I've yet to witness an apologist come to this site and leave unscathed and we would certainly not be stabbing each other...for what? In an effort to get the boot in first or a rush to defend the prick? You can be reasonably certain he is a lying toe rag markus_river, but I'm sure the same could easily clear himself by citing the debate. Lying for Jesus, they can't help themselves, it's like catnip. That paulpriest is quite a rum character over there too.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:17:04 UTC | #641633

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 28 by I'm_not

According to the wiki page on the duties of a priest they entail "Priests are also responsible for daily recitation of the principal and minor offices of the Liturgy of the Hours. Catholic priests are the only ministers of the Sacrament of Penance and Anointing of the Sick. They are the only ones who can celebrate the Eucharist in the Catholic Church . They are the ordinary ministers of Baptism and witnesses to Holy Matrimony."

Assuming that the paedophile priest's hotline to God is severed by the all-seeing all loving deity the moment the sick fuck molests his first child doesn't that mean all the ceremonies he's conducted since then are null and void? Mass, confessions, baptisms, weddings, why would God accept a paedophile as the mediator?

Given His habit of "working in mysterious ways" how can they be sure this isn't what has happened and lots of people who believe they are married or christened in the eyes of God actually aren't?

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:25:15 UTC | #641637

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 29 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:42:28 UTC | #641644

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 30 by QuestioningKat

Comment 1 by andyseaspray :

There is still plenty wrong with the RC church. Maybe they should be reminded. I recall a good number of people running out of church after Communion to beat the traffic. My guess is that many really don't want to be there in the first place.

Here's a few things to remind them:

1. their stand against birth control, but you're using it anyway.
  2. Priest are the "go-between" with God. Do you really think their morals are better than yours?
  3. Priest don't marry and are giving you family/marital advice.
  4. Do you really think you are literally eating the body and blood of Jesus Christ? come on!
  5. Boring!!
  6. Aren't you tired of feeling guilty for something you didn't do? The teacher yells at the class because someone did something wrong and you somehow feel responsible. What else do you feel guilty about?
  7. You're in confessional telling this gay man about "supposed" sins of minor sexual nature. He tells you that these are very serious sins, and you know that he himself does not really believe what he is saying.
  8. You need to go to someone else (a priest) to have them work through God in order to have your sins forgiven.
  9. Your knees are shot because of decades of kneeling. ( I hear that kneeling is optional now.)
  10. Most of the nuns were angry.
  11. Women are considered inferior to men.
  12. Sssshhhhhh!
  13. As a child, occasionally you'd get lucky enough to sit behind a woman with a fur coat.
  14. You recall one Christmas Eve service in which a couple sat in the back drinking from a flask in a paper bag. You remember this more than any sermon ever given.
  15. You go to church just because it's required, then go about your life - business as usual (except for the guilt.)
  16. The whole, seven years old, age of reason thing that Julia Sweeney talks about seems ridiculous.
  17. the history of the church.
  18. The disappearance of Limbo.

Children with learning disabilities are not welcome in a Catholic school. My mother and many relatives dealt with life-long trauma because of the ridicule and knuckle slapping from the nuns. As a child, my own niece was finally pulled from Catholic school because of their inability to deal with her learning disability. They tormented the kid. She flourished in public school and is now in college.

Years ago, my sister-in-law taught in Catholic school. She was fired because she took off too much time (the Family Leave Act) in order to deal with her handicapped child having multiple surgeries. So much for family values.

The Roman Catholic church is sugar coated poison.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:45:15 UTC | #641645

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 31 by QuestioningKat

Comment 24 by I'm_not :

One thing about the paedo priest scandal still hasn't been answered satisfactorily for me....

How is it that his hotline would be severed? He believes in God so he is assumed to be forgiven. You know .......believe in God and all is OK. Be a non-believing heathen and face the flames. My guess is that people would be upset to find out that he was the one who married/baptized them and run to get vows renewed. From time-to-time renewal of certain vows are done during service anyway.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:56:52 UTC | #641648

Simon Templar's Avatar Comment 32 by Simon Templar

Children with learning disabilities are not welcome in a Catholic school

I could take issue with all 18 of your sweeping statements but I'll just put them down to anti Catholic bigotry and ignorance. However your comment above deserves special mention. The two Catholic Schools in my area have statistically and by reputation the best facilities, teaching and pastoral care for children with learning difficulties in the whole of the region. In fact one school which my first 2 children went to had over 20% of their intake as 'statemented'.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:07:37 UTC | #641653

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 33 by I'm_not

Comment 27 by QuestioningKat :

Comment 24 by I'm_not :

I suppose. That get out of jail free card is bloody handy isn't it?

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:14:27 UTC | #641654

frax71's Avatar Comment 34 by frax71

Comment 28 by Simon Templar :

Children with learning disabilities are not welcome in a Catholic school

Quite frankly I could not care less that you could take issue with the Q/Kats comments. Why don't you take issue with the subject at hand eg the cover up and refusal to take responsibility for the abuse of children by catholiic priests

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:43:09 UTC | #641659