← I think the creationists would rather just forget about Expelled

I think the creationists would rather just forget about Expelled - Comments

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 1 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 05:55:08 UTC | #842700

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 2 by Steve Hanson

You know what, fuck Ben Stein. How dare that anti-intellectual pretend to be an actual intellectual.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:12:19 UTC | #842704

Aflacduck's Avatar Comment 3 by Aflacduck

Ben Stein always struck me as an inflated, arrogant, pseudointellectual. Now after reading the Wikipedia page on him, I have all the proof I ever need.

Apparently, "Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people." Also, evolution inspired the Holocaust.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:55:56 UTC | #842708

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 4 by Schrodinger's Cat

From what I've read about Expelled, it exists at the same damnable level as Roswell conspiracists who insist that a 'cover up' they cannot prove ( aren't cover ups handy like that ) is evidence of an alien crash landing they equally cannot prove. The unprovable cover up somehow proves that the unprovable crash happened ! There you go.......illogic squared = logic.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:40:07 UTC | #842722

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 5 by Flapjack

What Kevin Miller neglects to mention is that it wasn't just evilutionists who thought Expelled was a big pile of horseshit. Its avarage rating between the professional film critics on Rotten Tomatoes was 10% and the summary of their various reviews was "Full of patronizing, poorly structured arguments, Expelled is a cynical political stunt in the guise of a documentary."

Yet more evidence that the creationist crowd probably want to ignore.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:03:04 UTC | #842728

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 6 by Stevehill

I can't see why anybody would want to "rescue" this film at auction.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:35:54 UTC | #842739

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 7 by Flapjack

Of course all of this will stoke up Stein's paranoid fantasy no end... he'll read it as a conspiracy of evolutionists and film critics to sheild his masterpiece from the viewing public and then buy it up cheap to re-edit the mastercopy and "distort the facts". Next stop - "Expelled 2 - the sequel".

"Infamy, infamy... they've all got it in-fa-me"

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:15:12 UTC | #842746

The Plc's Avatar Comment 8 by The Plc

Comment 6 by Stevehill :

I can't see why anybody would want to "rescue" this film at auction.

The unedited interviews with Dawkins, Myers, Atkins et al will probably be worth distributing for free..

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:20:11 UTC | #842748

Richie P's Avatar Comment 9 by Richie P

You know what, fuck Ben Stein

I think that pretty accurately describes how most of us feel!

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:27:47 UTC | #842751

Richie P's Avatar Comment 10 by Richie P

The God Delusion- Oh yeah, I remember that. Big failure that one.

It sold 2 million copies or so, spawned a whole series of televised appearances for the author, spawned even more desperate attempts to refute it (most of which oddly didn't even bother trying to refute the main arguments anyway), was probably responsible for the New/Gnu Atheism movement, helped lots of people come out of the closet and declare themselves as Atheists.....

It was a bit of a flash in the pan that one wasn't it.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:36:58 UTC | #842757

Pitchguest's Avatar Comment 11 by Pitchguest

Ahahaha. Expelled. I still remember the day I read it, I think on Pharyngula, when Ben Stein had offered tickets to the screener - free of charge, only requirement was to sign up on the website - and Myers and his family had arrived to see it, but was denied entry and accused of causing a ruckus. Poor PZ. But the kicker was that he brought a friend with him, who was allowed inside, one who should be none other than RICHARD DAWKINS.

I tell ya. I had a right laugh that morning (night? Can't remember when I read it.).

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:06:36 UTC | #842761

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 12 by Stevehill

Are they going to tell us anything these people have not said many times before?

Buying this film gives it and its creators undue attention and prestige. It's a piece of shit, best ignored forever.

Of course all of this will stoke up Stein's paranoid fantasy no end...

Yes, it will.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:19:20 UTC | #842764

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 13 by Dhamma

I have exclusive footage on the research method they used throughout the movie - I think this picture incapsulates most of it.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:33:24 UTC | #842768

josephor's Avatar Comment 14 by josephor

Check this out and you can see what kind of person this Ben Stein is, his interview with none other than Pat lowlife, conman, and thief Robertson.

Enjoy

Ben Stein Debunks Darwinism in New Movie, hilarious getting it wrong as usual horrible little man.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:39:29 UTC | #842772

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 15 by Robert Howard

I haven't seen the film, although I''d love to as I've heard it's a hoot. I think from what I've read about it that in its proper context the movie could provide a valuable insight into the mindset of the creature known as the American creationist.

There's a clip available on Youtube of the Jewish Stein being interviewed by the Christian Glenn Beck, and the two of them are having a right old chuckle about us atheists, but all I could think when watching it was, 'he thinks you're going to Hell, Ben.'

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:49:38 UTC | #842777

sbooder's Avatar Comment 16 by sbooder

Maybe Richard Sternberg could buy the film and then re-release it as a Scientific film which he can Peer-review himself, he could also resign just before he releases it and claim he was sacked by Hollywood!

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:49:54 UTC | #842778

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 17 by strangebrew

pouting cretinist is pouting!

Someone when 'n' gone' 'n' spoilt his masturbatory delusional flick orgy..by commanding it was a piece of tacky lying bullshite...must be god he moves in mysterious ways...I am sure if it was any good it would have the backing of the pearly gate mob.

But alas apparently not...oh dear how sad never mind!

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:01:29 UTC | #842783

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 18 by Richard Dawkins

Comment 9 by Richie P :

You know what, fuck Ben Stein

I think that pretty accurately describes how most of us feel!

No, that verb describes a really beautiful thing to do to someone we really like and respect. Let's not abuse language by associating it with the disgusting Ben Stein.

I previously thought it might be a nice idea to bid for ownership of the 'Expelled', but I was only thinking of subtitling it to expose the distortion, and I was persuaded that it wasn't worth it just for that. The idea of releasing the raw footage of the interviews is a new one on me, and I think it is an excellent one. I would love it if somebody were to publish the entire interview of Ben Stein with me, and I presume PZ Myers, Michael Ruse and others among the traduced would feel the same way about their interviews. The producer who set me up is one of the most comprehensively dishonest people I have ever met, and Ben Stein one of the nastiest.

Richard

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:13:57 UTC | #842788

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 19 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:33:12 UTC | #842795

houseofcards's Avatar Comment 20 by houseofcards

I think this film is better off in the hands of Talk Origins or the RDFfRS. or Randi. I think There should be a scientific foundation that buys the rights to films like this for the sole purpose of setting the record straight. Let's get the rights to that awful 'What the Bleep Do We Know' while we are at it.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:52:10 UTC | #842803

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 21 by Mrkimbo

You know, I always thought that us folk at richarddawkins.net were a pretty take-no-prisoners kind of bunch - until I read the comments on this story on PZ's own site, which make us look like a very gentle clan of forest flower fairies in comparison. I am so glad I'm not on the other side - being 'discussed' by that lot would like being inserted into a tumble-drier lined with razorblades, or thrown to a tankful of super-intelligent mutant sharks fitted with laser-beams (of course I'm sure there's some overlap).

Bloody fantastic. There's hope for America yet.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:01:50 UTC | #842810

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 22 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:29:11 UTC | #842817

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 23 by Jos Gibbons

I feel sorry for evolution defender Ken Miller having to have such a similar name to fellow American Kevin Miller. It can't help Ken's tolerance of that fact that, in repeating the endlessly asserted but never once evidenced claim that TGD is easily refuted, he used "it's" when he should have used "its". As a theists, Ken Miller may even find that aspect more disagreeable than the claim itself. I also feel sorry for the gazillion Hollywood actors named Kevin. back on topic: this purchasing idea sounds excellent, so long as the monies don't rejuvenate the evangelist efforts of these temporarily bankrupt dishonest IDiots.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:41:28 UTC | #842822

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 24 by God fearing Atheist

If anyone had a few thousand dollars to spent on the movie rights, and a few hundred thousand to spend on production costs, it would be amusing.

How about a boxed set of DVDs, with the original, the full interviews, and then a full scale debunk. Perhaps the original should be interlaced with the debunk, and maybe some of the debunk should come from the original (unused) interview material. Instead of a boxed DVD set, the material could be put on the web, but then there would be no sales revenue to cover costs, but wider coverage.

It really depends on the price. I wouldn't want anyone to hand over too much hard cash to IDiots.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:49:01 UTC | #842826

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 25 by HardNosedSkeptic

I think the creationists would rather just forget about Expelled

Of course they would. That film did them more harm than good.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:54:28 UTC | #842829

Galactor's Avatar Comment 26 by Galactor

I think the best approach to dealing with people who are prepared to disseminate lies in this way, is to let them understand that if their project falls flat on its face, then no-one, especially the targets of the lies, is going to spend one red cent in increasing its market value.

Everyone who knows the background behind "Expelledgate" knows that they are liars - it's not necessary to have access to the film on the cutting room floor to promulgate the fact, despite how interesting it might be to see the raw footage.

Remember that every penny spent in purchasing the film, is a penny for the efforts of the makers and is a sign to those who might follow suit, that there is a value in lying.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:57:20 UTC | #842830

Galactor's Avatar Comment 27 by Galactor

I can't readily see the value of acquiring the footage.

Those who think Expelled is a good film, will not be at all persuaded by any further usage of it by its detractors. And those who appear in the film with comments and positions that have been misrepresented or not used can just say what they need to in order to redress what needs to be.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:04:43 UTC | #842836

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 28 by Stevehill

In fairness, it's probably a penny for their unpaid creditors, following the production company's bankruptcy.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:54 UTC | #842839

DELETED_ACCOUNT_1ST_AMENDEMENT_TRUMPS_ALL's Avatar Comment 30 by DELETED_ACCOUNT_1ST_AMENDEMENT_TRUMPS_ALL

Is it possible these days to produce anti-scientific nonsense, no matter how slickly-produced, without it causing you eventual, inevitable embarrassment? It's somehow magically going to avoid and survive intellectual dissection/demystification forever? I suppose you could go to pained ends and limit your audience to only believers, rely on their glowing public reviews as the only exposure, and thereby extend your crap's shelf life somewhat. But sooner or later, someone is going to successfully penetrate your defenses and puncture your hot air balloon. At that point, the worst thing you can do in response is then betray your childish frustrations with an envious online tantrum for everyone to read...oops.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:50:42 UTC | #842903