← Germany: Politicians plan boycott of pope’s Bundestag speech

Germany: Politicians plan boycott of pope’s Bundestag speech - Comments

NH King's Avatar Comment 1 by NH King

"Without Christianity, our country is simply impossible to imagine.”

That's saying quite a lot, given that as a Christian, he is an authority on all things imaginary.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:01:24 UTC | #842835

ajs261's Avatar Comment 2 by ajs261

"Without Christianity, our country is simply impossible to imagine.”

Very true. I doubt Hitler would have won much popular support without his constant invocations of him doing God's work throughout his speeches and Mein Kampf. Imagine how much weaker his political position would have been without his concordat with the Catholic Church! If only.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:31:42 UTC | #842849

josephor's Avatar Comment 3 by josephor

Schwanitz, who leads a working group called “secular members of the SPD,” called the pope the “last absolute monarch” in Europe. He also said that the pontiff’s stances on women’s rights and contraception, gave him a good deal of the blame for “the ongoing global AIDS epidemic as well as the oppression, exploitation and stigmatization of millions of people.”

How right he is, he just did not go far enough.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:34:03 UTC | #842850

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 4 by Stevehill

Conservative parliamentarians like Hermann Kues of the Christian Democrats have shown outrage at the boycott campaign.

“I am shocked over the ignorance and delusion here,” he said. “Without Christianity, our country is simply impossible to imagine.”

Ah yes, Gott mit uns. Lest we forget.

Well done, Herr Schwanitz. I hope you get lots of support. despite your spineless leaders.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:54:32 UTC | #842861

Jay G's Avatar Comment 5 by Jay G

The Vatican released a preview of the Pope's speech (Not to be confused with The King's Speech):

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:17:55 UTC | #842872

Beethoven's Avatar Comment 6 by Beethoven

Come on Germany, you are the land of Beethoven, Goethe, Heine, Marx, Schiller -- some of the greatest free-thinking spirits. I know you can do better than ingratiate yourself with the pope.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:24:11 UTC | #842877

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 7 by SoHelpMeReason

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:27:57 UTC | #842880

Damis1664's Avatar Comment 8 by Damis1664

Comment 6 by Beethoven :

Thank you for your post. As a german, it always saddens me that the first (only?) thing many people think of when Germany is mentioned are the horrendous crimes commited by the nazis. I will do my best to refrain from supplementing your list (because I know national pride is just ugly), except for Schopenhauer, Feuerbach, and Nietzsche.

and now for something that is actually on topic:

“Without Christianity, our country is simply impossible to imagine.”

What that moron meant to say was of course that today's supposedly free, liberal, pluralistic Germany would be unimaginable if it were not built on "christian values". I don't need to tell anyone here how mind-bogglingly idiotic this is. The problem is that most politicians in the Bundestag appear to buy into this kind of baloney, given that only 6 in 600 parliamentarians are unwilling to come cheer for a "leering old villain in a frock". This may in turn be caused by their belief in the fairy tale that Hitler's was an "atheist regime" . The Churche's rewriting of history has really served its purpose.

As many have pointed out, the 'christian democrat' (does that term strike anyone as paradoxical?) would have been spot on if he had said "Without Christianity, our country as it was about 70 years ago would be simply impossible to imagine."

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:42:55 UTC | #842931

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 9 by ZenDruid

I would rather hear the good old 'Münchner in Himmel' story. Maybe that could be "arranged" for a modest fee... so when the old goblin opens his pie hole, we could hear all about Aloysius instead.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:35:04 UTC | #842953

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 10 by BigJohn

Cute hat, poopie!

(No. I do not have anything meaningful to contribute.)

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:04:45 UTC | #842961

jfm2301's Avatar Comment 11 by jfm2301

Ill Pappie needs to fire his milliner. How many stupid hats does he need?

But it's good to see he continues to validate the "Does the Pope wear a funny hat?" response to the "Would you like another beer?" question.

Hope we get pictures of his headgear for the Bundestag. WWII Wehrmacht helmet might be appropriate.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:38:14 UTC | #842979

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 12 by Rodger T

Several Social Democratic parliamentarians are planning to boycott the speech

Fair enough, I have an aversion to be being bored shitless also.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:25:49 UTC | #843038

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 13 by AtheistEgbert

Politicians are insane. The point about democracy is that it replaces the authority of monarchs, tyrants, dictators and emperors. So what is the Pope but an emperor in a dress?

Politicians have not only fawned at the table of tyrants, dictators, monarchs and tycoons but gladly line their pockets with their cash.

When will they learn? And when will we learn that we put them there.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:58:23 UTC | #843058

Raiko's Avatar Comment 14 by Raiko

As a German, I am mortified by the ignorance a person can exhibit by standing in public and claiming this country wouldn't be itself without Christianity and not realizing where Christianity has had the most impact in this country and when. At least two time periods come to mind, both dark and gruesome.

This ignorant, misogynistic, human-deploring twat has no place talking among the highest ranks of this country, as long as no other twats and a reasonable person get to have the same pleasure.

And the "Christian" Democratic Union needs to change its name for the biasedness of the name and the fact that they are not endorsing the values they falsely attribute to Christianity.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:00:09 UTC | #843095

Seth4422's Avatar Comment 15 by Seth4422

Comment 7 by SoHelpMeReason :

It's to remind you that Jesus died for your sins. Look at what Jesus went through, all so that you can have eternal life despite your inherently evil nature! You would truly have to be an awful person to forsake Jesus after all the suffering he endured just for you! Jesus loves you...

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:25:05 UTC | #843112

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 16 by Alex, adv. diab.

But for the most part, they really do seem to believe that. Just listen to our Chancelorette speak...

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:18:22 UTC | #843159

reebus's Avatar Comment 17 by reebus

lol Kues quote is classic irony. But I must admit, I find it quite encouraging that at least some politicians are actually supporing secularism by ostentatious deed. At the risk of overgeneralising, I think that's quite rare really: Apart from a few notable exceptions the majority tend to be 'religionknights'.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:29:19 UTC | #843164

jesusdiedLOL's Avatar Comment 18 by jesusdiedLOL

The pope looks like he's about to perform an indecency on Jesus...and that hat is hilarious, I thought he hated gayness?

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:33:29 UTC | #843166

ozkrenske's Avatar Comment 19 by ozkrenske

Wow that old codger in white appears to have knicked by Nana's hat. She won't be happy.

Thanks SoHelpMeReason, I normally read, image throttled, but I went and refreshed just to see and the above reaction was the first thing to jump out of my mind.

I must assume the archaic clothing traditions of the Catholic church are a simple reflection of the the unchanging, 'Rock against time' image of the RCC.

Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:37:14 UTC | #843171

Devon Quixote's Avatar Comment 20 by Devon Quixote

Religion is to a politician what a cattle prod is to a cattle farmer. But it also works in the opposite. If a politician notices growing anti-religion within the populace, they will prod the cattle with a different device. I suspect this is such a device.

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:13:57 UTC | #843186

dandelion fluff's Avatar Comment 21 by dandelion fluff

Just when I begin to think I'm getting over having been catholic, I catch myself having to scroll down to cover up the picture of the pope before I can even start reading...

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:44:18 UTC | #843203

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 22 by Alex, adv. diab.

@dandelion fluff

I feel the same way, so it might be more of a universal phenomenon.

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:34:37 UTC | #843218

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 23 by Alternative Carpark

Papst ist tot

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:02:02 UTC | #843224

Willa4's Avatar Comment 24 by Willa4

Is this what passes for intelligent debate in the atheist world?? It's very odd that the bigoted Pope has just started a new and respectful dialogue with atheists, yet the enlightened and open minded, inclusive atheists just resort to slurs, prejudice and anti Catholic bigotry in their cerebral discussions.

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:06:12 UTC | #843227

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 25 by Alex, adv. diab.

@Willa4

I'm touched. Anyhow, who cares what kind of dialogue the evil old man pretends to be interested in now? He claims to be the only legit representative of god, the creator of the universe, on earth, and he's running an international super-wealthy indoctrination company. Who would be in favor of giving this figure a forum in the federal parliament except people who are deluded enough to think that the pile of horse crap called catholic doctrine is actually to be taken seriously.

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:16:01 UTC | #843230

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 26 by Roland_F

How deep has Germany sunken (as deep as the UK who was in the urgent need for the same guidance last year) that the parliament and nation as a whole need moral advise from the head of the biggest multinational child rapist organization on the planet ??

“Without Christianity, our country is simply impossible to imagine.”

Indeed Germany and the whole of Europe would look quite different without more of a millennium of dark ages (Crusades, Holy Inquisition, Witch burnings, Scientist burnings, 30 year war, forced missionary conversions of colonies, up to Hitler joining forces with the Pope Pius XI / Pius XII to do ‘gods work’ with the Holocaust …etc…) . Imaginable different … indeed !!

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:26:18 UTC | #843234

Alex, adv. diab.'s Avatar Comment 27 by Alex, adv. diab.

Imaginable different … indeed !!

The field of thumbscrew engineering would have been thrown back 1000 years or more!

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:37:04 UTC | #843237

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 28 by SoHelpMeReason

Comment 15 by Seth4422

*Comment 7 by SoHelpMeReason :
I'm sorry, I know I'm commiting the Grave Moderator's Sin of Not Staying On Topic, but that picture at the top has me fixated on it. That cross with the dead Jesus on it is just so gory. I just don't understand why of all things imaginable this is the religion's symbol. I feel like a scared little kid protectively squinting while I take a nanosecond glance at Tutankhamun's open tomb.*

Jesus...is...scary! In the perfect words of Pat Condell in regard to this specific situation, "I feel like I've been billed for something I didn't order."

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 03:52:42 UTC | #843251

davem's Avatar Comment 29 by davem

Willa @ 24: It's very odd that the bigoted Pope has just started a new and respectful dialogue with atheists.

The word you're looking for is 'monologue'.

Always happy to help.

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:06:06 UTC | #843296

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 30 by sunbeamforjeebus

Having looked at the photograph and read the text,what can one say about German history?Not wishing to write reams of stuff here,I think given the clothes and the hat he is doing and impression of his great aunt Mildred!

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:24:59 UTC | #843301