← [UPDATE - a few more photos] Richard Dawkins celebrates 4th of July in Jackson Hole Wyoming

[UPDATE - a few more photos] Richard Dawkins celebrates 4th of July in Jackson Hole Wyoming - Comments

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by Stafford Gordon

So aggresive, shrill, vitriolic, aggresive and humourless"

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:34:47 UTC | #846627

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 2 by Chris Boccia

I love how he stops to check out the squirrel. I would, too.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:40:18 UTC | #846629

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 3 by Karen Hill Anton

Beautiful!
That first photo put the first smile of the day (I just woke up) on my face :-)

Karen

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:47:20 UTC | #846635

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 4 by QuestioningKat

Good thing he's wearing that turquoise, southwestern styled shirt otherwise he'd look like a Republican. I bet he was riding horses and spitting watermelon seeds all weekend.

Looks like you were having fun Richard.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:48:31 UTC | #846636

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 5 by Robert Howard

Cowboy Richard, so cool. He should smile more in photographs; we know he can do serious, but fun Richard is so much more.......fun. Picture no 1 is going to be my new wallpaper.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:49:26 UTC | #846637

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 6 by fuzzylogic

Is this for a new TV special or something?

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:51:02 UTC | #846638

ReverendRizz's Avatar Comment 7 by ReverendRizz

what in the devils name is he doing there?

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:53:14 UTC | #846639

chalkers's Avatar Comment 8 by chalkers

Reminds me of Marty McFly from Back to the Future 3.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:56:12 UTC | #846641

Beethoven's Avatar Comment 9 by Beethoven

Somehow (funnily) with this hat Dawkins looks like an American creationist from Texas.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:04:17 UTC | #846643

Alan Canon's Avatar Comment 10 by Alan Canon

Comment 9 by Beethoven :

Reclaiming the broad brimmed hat on behalf of field researchers the world over!

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:06:48 UTC | #846646

bluebird's Avatar Comment 11 by bluebird

Yippie yi yo ki yay!

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:10:23 UTC | #846648

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 12 by All About Meme

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:16:56 UTC | #846649

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 13 by Robert Howard

Oh, I just thought of a caption for photograph no 4, on behalf of Fox News: 'Evil anti-creationist Richard Dawkins is shown here about to enjoy his lunch.' They'll have to photoshop on a three foot long reptilian tongue but I think their viewers will buy it.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:26:10 UTC | #846653

dandelion fluff's Avatar Comment 14 by dandelion fluff

Ground squirrels let you get that close?!!

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:35:38 UTC | #846658

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 15 by SoHelpMeReason

I agree. If I didn't know it was Richard Dawkins, I'd think I was looking at an unusual Texas creationist. But it's hilarious, there's just something oddly cute and funny about seeing a British guy go cowboy. It's like they're just missing something - I don't know how to pinpoint it - but whatever it is, it makes the picture perfect.

It's like a kid in an outfit. I think that's it. "Ooo, he's having a jolly old time" instead of, "Christ, not another one! I swear, he'd better have left that gun in the pick-up this time..."

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:16:09 UTC | #846670

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 16 by Cartomancer

Ah yes, the fourth of July. Secession Day. A time when all good, patriotic British people grumble that none of this silly United States business would ever have happened if our ancestors had been a little bit better at fighting and those damnable jealous Frenchies hadn't stuck their noses into our important Imperial business.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:21:03 UTC | #846672

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 17 by Crazycharlie

"WHEE HOO!!"

"Say agin what you do for a livin pardner?"

"A what?"

"A BI-OLOGIST?"

"Duzat pay good munny?"

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:24:53 UTC | #846675

Yahweh in furs's Avatar Comment 18 by Yahweh in furs

Comment 14 by dandelion fluff :

Ground squirrels let you get that close?!!

He casted some unholy atheist spell on the poor critter!

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:27:34 UTC | #846676

drgoode's Avatar Comment 19 by drgoode

I am forever grateful that Dr. Dawkins has lead the way out of the closet for us cowboys.

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:48:52 UTC | #846679

skiles1's Avatar Comment 20 by skiles1

Wow! Look at you Richard! You fit right in!

That's a beautiful area, too. I hope you got a chance to visit at least one of the national parks near there.

And I'm glad you seem to have had a good time celebrating independence with Americans! I suppose being African rather than actually English, you can get away with that.

PS:

Not even I've had a hat like that before, and I've been American my whole life. It suits you though. And that shirt!

Dawkins for president 2012!

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 00:12:46 UTC | #846682

Reilly27's Avatar Comment 21 by Reilly27

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 00:17:26 UTC | #846683

bluebird's Avatar Comment 22 by bluebird

Cowboy Church:link text

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 00:19:43 UTC | #846684

some asshole's Avatar Comment 23 by some asshole

This gives me some faint confidence that one day I may convince him to stop by my house for a cookout.

OK, maybe not.

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 00:42:07 UTC | #846687

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 24 by Robert Howard

'comment 16 by Cartomancer'

Dude, don't give the game away. I know so many Americans who seem to think that all British people sit at home every year on the fourth of July grinding their teeth and cursing the name of George Washington. I sometimes think that this 'special relationship' that we believe we have with America is predicated entirely on the fact that Americans feel a bit sorry for us on that one day of the year. If they ever found out that we don't actually give a crap about the whole business and are secretly grateful that we got rid of all that puritan DNA (who do they think actually built the Mayflower?) then they might start hating us as much as they hate the French. We know that they're not that bright........erm, apart from the atheist and agnostic ones of course, who are superclever and totally get irony.

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 00:57:11 UTC | #846690

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 25 by drumdaddy

Great to have you in the states, Professor Dawkins, enjoy your stay! Too bad that I won't be able to see you at TAM along with the amazing lineup of speakers and entertainers. Peace.

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 01:08:33 UTC | #846695

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 26 by Border Collie

Did they still have the elk horn arch over the main street through town?

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 01:12:54 UTC | #846697

Mbee's Avatar Comment 27 by Mbee

That looks like a somewhat tame ground squirrel next to one of the 'walks' at the Old Faithful geyser. They are used to having visitors close by and I cannot imagine Richard going to Jackson Hole and not going to see the wonders of Yellowstone park near by!

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 01:54:39 UTC | #846702

Mbee's Avatar Comment 28 by Mbee

I just noticed there were no pictures of Richard's feet! We all want to know if you had real cowboy boots on too - to compare with Jerry Coyne's!

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 01:59:01 UTC | #846703

Turboladdade's Avatar Comment 29 by Turboladdade

I love Jackson Hole, one of my favorite places.

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 02:05:06 UTC | #846705

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 30 by -TheCodeCrack-

The first photo proves that he's not actually from Wyoming: he's got to many teeth in his head.

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 02:12:42 UTC | #846708