← Tunisian Secularists Fight Back

Tunisian Secularists Fight Back - Comments

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 1 by -TheCodeCrack-

Islam: So tolerant, so peaceful.

Bullshit.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:13:13 UTC | #848216

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 2 by AtheistEgbert

What did they think was going to happen? And is this not so timely with our own thoughtlessness and lack of coherent practical philosophy?

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:18:45 UTC | #848218

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 3 by prettygoodformonkeys

This says it all for me

100 bearded men shouting

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:23:01 UTC | #848219

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 4 by Atheist Mike

A gang of some 100 bearded men shouting "God it great"

That is either a typo or some kind of innovation from their part. Wait, they're religious right? Must be a typo then.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:47:28 UTC | #848229

ScientistX's Avatar Comment 5 by ScientistX

There should be a UN instigated world-wide ban of any sort of fascistic religious fundamentalism on the basis of infringement of civil liberties. Why should these idiots think they can simply get away with these sorts of outrageous actions. Even expelling musicians???? Pathetic.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:50:51 UTC | #848230

inquisador's Avatar Comment 6 by inquisador

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:05:07 UTC | #848235

andreasdhl's Avatar Comment 7 by andreasdhl

its going to take a herculean effort to be positive about the ramifications of the socalled arab spring. i fear our worst nightmares will stay with us long after we wake up. all the best andreas

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:02:54 UTC | #848251

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 8 by El Bastardo

I wonder if they would still hang onto the icon of Che if they saw this

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:28:07 UTC | #848275

Aztek's Avatar Comment 9 by Aztek

The only time I wish I had a lot of money is when I read articles like this one. I wish I could support secularists in Tunisia (and in other parts of the world) and other groups fighting for human rights by giving them monetary support.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:38:09 UTC | #848280

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 10 by Stevezar

Comment 9 by Aztek :

It would probably be a better use of our money then spending it in Afghanistan.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:02:34 UTC | #848305

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 11 by cheesedoff17

Those bearded monkeys started throwing their weight around the moment the ban was lifted. Within a week they were harassing the girls in the red light district and I bet they have seized every opportunity since to bully women.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:11:37 UTC | #848306

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 12 by Mrkimbo

They're apes, not monkeys, cheesedoff17. But without the dignity and quiet pathos of us other apes.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 20:59:19 UTC | #848344

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 13 by Philoctetes

One thing about these fascist Arab dictators like Assad (1&2) Saddam, etc. they didn't take any shit from the burbling beardies who's greatest wish was to replace said dictators and show them what real state terrorism is all about.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:32:02 UTC | #848356

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 14 by Stevezar

Comment 12 by Mrkimbo :

We should send National Geographic down there to take pictures of them.

Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:40:28 UTC | #848375

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 15 by Schrodinger's Cat

I hate to have to say it, but it's really up to Tunisians to fight for their own secular enlightenment, just as was done in Europe 400 years ago. I really don't think there's much we can do from outside. A people have to collectively want to be free from all the religious crap. Nobody can impose it from the outside, and nobody fights better for their freedom than the actual people themselves once the will is there.

We should not ourselves forget......it wasn't that long ago that we were ourselves burning witches at the stake. Islam needs it's own 'reformation', now more than ever.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:03:28 UTC | #848390

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 16 by Fouad Boussetta

My father was Tunisian and I spent most of my childhood in Tunisia.

I think the not-so-religious will pull through, though I'm a little worried.

First, because the Islamists are very motivated, even rabid I would say.

Second, because of the following lines I just read in the article:

"This film is unacceptable," Harouni told The Media Line. "It doesn't fall under freedom of speech. There are red lines that you do not cross, and religion is one of them. The film offends the entire Muslim people."

I hope not too many people in Tunisia think like this stupid and intolerant bitch.

Also, I signed a couple of online statements of support for Nada El-Fani, who's now receiving lots of death threats...

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:54:53 UTC | #848403

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 17 by Fouad Boussetta

Don't forget to check out this hilarious pic: The three types of totalitarian systems.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 01:00:40 UTC | #848406

mmurray's Avatar Comment 18 by mmurray

Comment 17 by Fouad Boussetta :

Funny but wrong. Under nazism homosexuality was oppressed and homosexuals sent to death camps. Your were not free to marry if your beloved was Jewish and you were not as that was illegal. Women did not have equal rights.

Michael

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 01:15:31 UTC | #848409

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 19 by Fouad Boussetta

Indeed. The table's ratings lack subtlety. The "Yes" for "Equality of women" under "Nazism" should be a "Not quite", for example...

Still, from what I read from your Wikipedia link (for which I'm grateful), women in Nazi Germany were far, far better treated than they are now treated in most of the Islamic world.

So yes, Michael, I admit that the table is oversimplified.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 02:45:16 UTC | #848435

mmurray's Avatar Comment 20 by mmurray

Comment 19 by Fouad Boussetta :

So yes, Michael, I admit that the table is oversimplified.

Yes they could leave the house without a male relative which is a big step up on Islam ! There also seemed to be a relaxed attitude towards sexual morality, as long as you were immoral with other Aryan's, which seems kind of strange. I wonder if anyone here knows something about Nazi Germany and could comment on that?

Michael

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 02:57:45 UTC | #848438

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 21 by drumdaddy

Theism and religion are wrong in all of their forms. Silent tolerance is not an option in response to groups insisting upon the dominance of fallacious dogma. Islam and Christianity are the largest and most foul of these groups and both should be unceasingly challenged, exposed, and opposed.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:32:53 UTC | #848476

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 22 by Vorlund

What is the psychology of the religious thug?

If a religio follows the rules of his own shackles why should he or she care a fart what others do. Surely Allah will punish these disgusting females for desicable whoredom of wearing bikinis on a beach? Hasn't he prepared a terrible doom for sodomites and the idolators the false believers and bacon sandwich munchers?

It is power, the power to inflict your world view on others justified by what the 'creator' requries. No other justification or reasoning is necessary. Only what their imaginary friend ordains.

It is a power base for men (I claim that men are largely to blame) who are so pathetic, ineffectual, peevish, emotionally stunted, sexually inhibited and intellectually challenged they have to supress anything that threatens them.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:44:36 UTC | #848529

Pitchguest's Avatar Comment 23 by Pitchguest

Comment 17 by Fouad Boussetta

Hmm, let me see. A conspiracy theorist blogger who believes Obama is dictatotorial, compares him to Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot for his dialogue on gun control and finally believes he's a war criminal who should be put to death for being a traitor to America. He also believes he's a Muslim whose "secret" objective is to Islamisize America and force everyone to obey him through Sharia (which he will implement). Indeed. I will certainly believe this person.

The fact that he's conservative and thinks Michelle Bachmann is the best presidential candidate since Reagan should tell me he's also right about Islam (read: he isn't) and communism (read: again, he isn't). He's definitely the right man for the job. I am not being sarcastic. (Add: He couldn't even get the "limitations of freedom" right on Nazism, and you would think that's the easy one.)

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:40:22 UTC | #848573

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 24 by Fouad Boussetta

Pitchbest, I don't know who actually did the pic, but it's available on quite a few different websites. I first saw it on some Australian website a week ago, actually, then I made a quick Google search yesterday to provide a fast link.

I personally love Obama.

So what you're mentioning is irrelevant to the contents of the pic itself, which I think are simplified, but rather correct.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:03:02 UTC | #848609

PERSON's Avatar Comment 25 by PERSON

CINR

Freedom of speech NNNY

Though of course some speech should be suppressed, just not by an elected government.

Equality for Women YNYY

Unless you're an evangelical, Mormon, etc. Then it's OK not to have that. And this topic is ENTIRELY UNRELATED to the control of your reproductive organs.

Democratic NNNY

Provided you can afford to run.

Equality of Races YNNY

As long as you're not from outside the country.

Freedom to eat and drink what you want YNYY

Provided you can afford it, or are happy to make yourself ill.

Sexual Freedom YNYY

As long as you aren't gay.

Freedom to wear clothes of one's own choice YNYY

Though of course if you get raped, that's your fault

Freedom to marry who one loves YNYY

As long as you aren't gay.

Peaceful towards other religions and other political systems NNNY

Ha ha ha ha hah. Just kidding.

R=Republicans

Also interesting is what he leaves out of the UNDoHR http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/ I'm going by the stated policy, not the practice. So for instance party members get benefits under communism, and the rich get better representation in the Republican system. Also, I'm talking about Soviet Communism, not, e.g. Kibbutzim.

CINR

All humans are equal YYNN (Reps: not foreigners)
Everyone has the same rights YNNN (Reps: not foreigners)
No slavery or slave trade YNNY
No Inhuman treatment NNNN (Reps: gitmo)
All people before the law YNNY (Islam: kind of, maybe. You're regarded as part of a person if you're a woman)
All equal before the law YNNN (Reps: gitmo)
No arbitrary arrest NNNN (Reps: gitmo)
Full, fair hearing by tribunal NNNN (Reps: gitmo)
Innocent until proven guilty NYNN (Reps: gitmo)
No retrospective justice ??NN (Reps: phone-tapping legalisation bill)
Privacy, attacks on honour and reputation (!) NNNN (Reps: phone-tapping, FNC)

Notice a pattern? I could go on, please do if you think this is not representative. And yeah, Obama has continued some of these. The point is that the Dem. base is against him on those things, unlike the Rep. base who have been vocal supporters.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:14:06 UTC | #848700

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 26 by cheesedoff17

@Vorland comment 22

Psychologically the religious thug is really no different from other intellectual bullies. There are so many domineering people everywhere who expect and revel in controlling others. They expect obedience, in the home or workplace. They are usually the most uncreative of folks. Artists can also be control freaks but they control and manipulate materials not people.

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:58:30 UTC | #848753

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 27 by Fouad Boussetta

Now how should one deal with the religious thug? (Obviously, rational argument doesn't work).

Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:12:31 UTC | #848755

foundationist's Avatar Comment 28 by foundationist

Yay! The old "You just offended 2 billion Muslims!"-threat! Here they go again!

Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:05:38 UTC | #848896

DanDare's Avatar Comment 29 by DanDare

So, what is Nadia El-Fani's movie? I'd like to know more about that rather than have it drowned out by the religious fucknuckles.

Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:17:50 UTC | #848943

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 30 by Fouad Boussetta

I didn't see the movie, but it seems it mostly aims at changing Tunisia's constitution, which still declares Islam to be the official religion of the country. Nadia El-Fani is pushing for a truly secular constitution.

Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:46:31 UTC | #848976