← Malaysian 'teapot cult' woman loses Islam legal bid

Malaysian 'teapot cult' woman loses Islam legal bid - Comments

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 1 by Cartomancer

I find myself torn in half here. On the one hand there is an outrageous story of persecution, abetted by government complicity with religion, on the other there is a story about a hilarious cult that venerates a giant teapot.

Half of me wants to be appalled, half just wants to laugh. The blood boils and the teeth gnash at the same time as the brain lines up the lame teapot puns. I suspect I am not alone here. And that suggests to me that the BBC's editorial line on this is flawed. While I would not want to accuse the editors of the BBC news website of deliberately trying to downplay the seriousness of these issues with their repeated references to the silly giant teapot, that is essentially what they have done.

There was no need to point out the ridiculousness of the giant teapot bit (far less ridiculous than what the muslims believe, at any rate) - they could just have said that she was a member of the sky kingdom cult and moved on. But they didn't. In the headline, the second photo, and several places in the text they mention the teapot. That distracts from the importance of the issue. It was a bad move to make.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:47:51 UTC | #851696

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 2 by aquilacane

Utter bullshit borderline slavery. Sorry, Islam owns you. Now, fuck off and die.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:48:25 UTC | #851697

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 3 by aquilacane

Comment 1 by Cartomancer

Hey, at least water is real and actually keeps us alive.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:49:59 UTC | #851698

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 4 by Stevehill

So, at 0.000001 years of age, she freely consented to follow the Islamic faith? And now she goes to jail for renouncing it?

Why is every "moderate Muslim" on the face of the planet not condemning this lunacy?

Possibly because "moderate Muslim " is, after all, an oxymoron?

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:50:59 UTC | #851699

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 5 by Vicktor

What's all the confusion about? You can't leave Islam and you have to perform the 5 daily prayers. Period. And no, we really don't consider other religions as being "acceptable" to god.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:54:42 UTC | #851702

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 6 by SaganTheCat

If ever there was a religion to replace the CofE

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:55:51 UTC | #851703

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 7 by Ivan The Not So Bad

I take it that this teapot is orbiting the sun?

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:06:14 UTC | #851708

Greyman's Avatar Comment 8 by Greyman

Let's see if I have this right. Unless an islamic court decides that she's not a muslim, the state court will allow an islamic court to try her for the 'crime' of ... not being a muslim?

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:07:34 UTC | #851709

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 9 by Schrodinger's Cat

Oh look.....yet another story of how Islam, a religion full of people who whine like hell about perceived persecution when in the minority......behaves when it is in the majority in a country.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:07:42 UTC | #851710

BroughtyBoy's Avatar Comment 10 by BroughtyBoy

This is great. Time for a subversive cuppa.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:08:53 UTC | #851711

Blackaddera's Avatar Comment 11 by Blackaddera

what confuses me is how you can be born a muslim. imho you are born a human not a follower of a religion.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:16:27 UTC | #851714

jac12358's Avatar Comment 12 by jac12358

Why is there even a court set up to consider granting permission to leave the faith, if it never actually grants that permission? Under what circumstances WOULD or HAS it done so?

What is really ridiculous - aside from the content of the respective combating beliefs, is the notion that one needs "permission" to not believe something. How does anyone imagine that someone deeply must believe something that they simply do not? It would be like sending someone to jail because they don't like chocolate, as if the court could order someone to enjoy it when they eat it. Don't they know that they'd end up with someone PRETENDING they like it, rather than actually liking it? What value is such a lie to them?

And so it is therefore likely a product of supreme stupidity or else a cunningly set up system of control and power. You might think it is both, but something in me refuses to accept that such stupidity could be so manipulatively effective and resourceful.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:20:10 UTC | #851717

JCott24's Avatar Comment 13 by JCott24

This is just absolutely evil. The fact that she can even be put on trial for this in the first place makes me sick. Are you serious?! I'm even having problems wrapping my mind around their perspective. It's as twisted and dark as a "Saw" film. I cant believe there are people that still think governing and treating its citizens, HUMAN BEINGS, this way is acceptable. I'm glad I'm seeing the worldwide evils and harm of religion at the age of 25; sooner the better.s is just absolutely evil. The fact that she can even be put on trial for this in the first place makes me sick. Are

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:27:02 UTC | #851721

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 14 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 1 by Cartomancer :

I initially thought that - if she wants to convert from Islam to Teapot she deserves everything she gets - but on slightly longer reflection this is 100% an issue about the evil of Islam. Ok, she is potty (groan), but probably mostly harmless.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:27:06 UTC | #851722

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 15 by Vicktor

This woman probably got tired of covering her hair, performing the daily prayers and fasting, and figured that she was constitutionally guaranteed the right to embrace a simpler religion. No such luck.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:31:04 UTC | #851726

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 16 by justinesaracen

Yeah, it's not what she wants to convert TO, it's the religion she wants to escape FROM. And that should be a basic human right - freedom from having one's mind owned.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:34:26 UTC | #851728

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 17 by AtheistEgbert

An example of the absurdity of the Malaysian constitution. You are given the right to freely to practice any religion in Malaysian, so long as you're not Malaysian by birth, otherwise you're born Muslim according to the state--whether you choose or not. And if you do decide to make choices, then you will be punished, either by fine, prison sentence or flogging.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:10:49 UTC | #851743

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 18 by Vorlund

Fucking ridiculuous there are no other words for it.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:29:57 UTC | #851751

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 19 by Vorlund

Fucking ridiculuous there are no other words for it.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:31:35 UTC | #851752

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 20 by KenChimp

"For numberless centuries society unquestioningly accepted the proposition that certain men were created to be slaves, whose natural function was to serve priests and kings, nobles and great lords, men of substance and property that were appointed slavemasters by almighty God. Further, this system was reinforced by the established doctrines that all men and women were owned, their minds by the church, their bodies by the state. This convenient situation was supported by a considerable body of authority, morals, religion, and philosophy."

-John Whiteside Parsons, from "Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword"

This is fascism, pure and simple. The Malaysian constitution (if indeed that constitution dictates that all Malaysians are born Muslim) is a document which legalizes a form of slavery. According to this tyrannical farce, all Malaysians are born as slaves to the Islamic religion and their insane fantasy god.

It is bad enough in my own land where religious hypocrisy runs rampant in politics and even some law, and where religious fanatics, through bigotry and expediency, have undermined the supreme law of the land and are hell-bent on making hell on earth with their insane ideas and wars of foreign conquest and subjugation. There are constant attempts to introduce Constitutional amendment toward theocracy in America. If any of these attempts comes close to succeeding, I'd be an instant apostate. A well armed and dangerous one. :-(

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:40:34 UTC | #851756

Gnu Atheist's Avatar Comment 21 by Gnu Atheist

Comment 7 by Ivan The Not So Bad, "I take it that this teapot is orbiting the sun?"

Actually it IS orbiting the sun. It just happens to be doing so while sitting in Terengganu, Malaysia.

:-)

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:48:19 UTC | #851762

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 22 by prettygoodformonkeys

God is a teapot, and Russell is His prophet.

Imagine dropping out of Christianity and then being tried by a Christian court, who discovered that you were still a Christian, just a bad one (this is exactly how Christians view me after learning that I used to be one), and shunted you off to be punished by the Christian system instead of Common Law. If they had influence in the courts, they would still probably not get to this point of ludicrousity (ludicrous-aliciousness?) because the genius of the Koran is that it actually states that no one can leave Islam.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:51:51 UTC | #851764

helena!'s Avatar Comment 23 by helena!

But judges ruled that only Malaysia's Islamic courts could decide on the case because Ms Kamariah was born a Muslim.

Wrong. She was born a baby girl human being that's it. Religion poisons everything.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:01:19 UTC | #851769

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 24 by KRKBAB

I'm with Cartomancer, but this sentence (and accompanying picture) clearly moved me to laugh. "The group's buildings were attacked in 2005, but the teapot survived"- The "teapot" in the picture looks like a prop from The Wizard of Oz! Not being allowed to leave a religion that you never even accepted in the first place is pretty awful, but that teapot- THAT TEAPOT!!! (my apologies, Carto)

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:02:03 UTC | #851771

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 25 by KRKBAB

I'm thinking I saw that teapot in the Lollipop Guild scene in the Wizard of Oz. I wonder if the people who have rights to the film have a case for copyright- what do you think, Stevehill?

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:08:23 UTC | #851772

ScientistX's Avatar Comment 26 by ScientistX

No wait, there must be a gene that confers religiosity....apparently!

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:09:30 UTC | #851773

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 27 by Stafford Gordon

At first glance I thought this was a Russellian break-through in Malaya.

It is about on the same level of absurdity anyway.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:10:01 UTC | #851774

Galatian 4 24's Avatar Comment 28 by Galatian 4 24

Wasn't the Great Teapot bulldozed in 2008 by outraged islamists who felt insulted because the deviationist leader claimed to have a direct link to god that bypassed the prophet.?

Or is there another one somewhere ?

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:22:59 UTC | #851781

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 29 by KRKBAB

Comment 26 by ScientistX- I could be oversimplifying things, but I'd bet that the overwhelming reason for people to make lateral moves like this are not genetic, but due to poor education or low intellect. If your comment was only just for a laugh, then I feel pretty goofy right now!

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:24:04 UTC | #851782

JCott24's Avatar Comment 30 by JCott24

This makes me think about The Salem Witch Trials. That poor woman... I agree, the cult thing is crazy, but imagine being in the same situation. How cruel and depressing.

Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:27:03 UTC | #851785