← Scientologists, Catholics and More Money Than God

Scientologists, Catholics and More Money Than God - Comments

Scruddy Bleensaver's Avatar Comment 1 by Scruddy Bleensaver

I never knew the 'Church' of Scientology used a cross as a symbol until I saw this picture. Unlike the Mormons, I've never heard of them trying to be considered a Christian sect before, either. Curious.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:02:20 UTC | #853232

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 2 by Vorlund

Want to make a fortune? Start a new religion.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:02:42 UTC | #853233

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

That cross symbol and big bucks go well together and always have.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:33:21 UTC | #853245

mcek's Avatar Comment 4 by mcek

Religion poisons money!

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:26:38 UTC | #853283

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 5 by Stevehill

I shall never ceased to be amazed at the willingness of the (often poor) faithful followers to join in these endless Ponzi schemes, designed to enable the ruling monarchs of these cults to reign in obscene comfort, and in a manner which would embarrass a petty despot in charge of a tinpot dictatorship.

Such people are not a source of morality, but an affront to morality. Always have been, always will be.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:40:30 UTC | #853289

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 6 by QuestioningKat

Yes, that crucifix stood out to me also.

A few years back, I ran across some Scientology pamphlet on the internet. It sounded interesting since it was about ethics that are free of religion. When I signed up online to get it sent to my home for free, I did not include my phone number. As I recall, within that day, I got a phone call from a local Scientologist. Imagine, that means that they searched for my phone number to call me. (Fortunately, I'm very tactful at blowing people off.)

Money=power. The person with money holds the power. Yet, "If you don't take money, they can't tell you what to do. That's the key to the whole thing." - Bill Cunningham. I found this comment to be profoundly true. Ultimately, churches will make "errors" in judgment and act in the best interest to keep the money and this will be their downfall. Expose a church's money issues and no matter how big of a believer a member may be, this understanding hits to the core of people's sense of fair play and security.

I was a member of a church in which the minister ran the the finances like a for-profit organization. When a small group of members stepped up to try to help the minister fix the finances, the minister responded by kicking them out of the church. They just wanted to help. One of these members was was a woman who tithed $90K per year. Imagine kicking out your largest supporter, the most involved person in the church. Needless to say, the church split in half and the minister struggled to keep afloat.

Show people how churches deal with money, taxes, etc. and they will wake up. Only a true non-profit will have staying power.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:58:01 UTC | #853482

Papalinton's Avatar Comment 7 by Papalinton

Comment 1 by Scruddy Bleensaver :

Scruddy Bleensaver, might be worth our while next time we see clergy from the CofE or catholics to say, "I didn't know you were a Scientologist".

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 14:00:49 UTC | #853486

njwong's Avatar Comment 8 by njwong

If you want to read a very informative and exciting article about the Church of Scientology, nothing beats the New Yorker article "The Apostate: Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology" (The New Yorker, 24 Feb 2011):

The Apostate: Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology - by Lawrence Wright

Wright's exposé actually explains how the weird origin story of Xenu in the Scientologist mythology was revealed to the public despite the Church of Scientology's attempt to keep it secret. I was always curious about that, and thus learning that it was actually a lawsuit that forced the Church to reveal the origin story in court made fascinating reading.

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 09:53:41 UTC | #853747