← Artists Announce They've Found All The Beauty They Can In Urban Decay

Artists Announce They've Found All The Beauty They Can In Urban Decay - Comments

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 1 by ZenDruid

NO! Don't quit! I want to see the huge carnivorous cockroaches!

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:41:46 UTC | #853200

skiles1's Avatar Comment 2 by skiles1

And being from Detroit, I can confirm it. Time to move on.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:30:16 UTC | #853242

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

Satire? Not so sure of that.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:35:13 UTC | #853247

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 4 by helen sotiriadis

love, love, love this.

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:52:47 UTC | #853258

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 5 by Mrkimbo

Brilliant. We all know nature recycles shit but there's no need for artists to it ad infinitum. I prefer Poussin, Lorrain and the Dutch Italianates myself.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:53:17 UTC | #853329

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 6 by Sean_W

hehehe(belly laugh), excellent.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 03:08:15 UTC | #853354

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 7 by Marc Country

Is this one filed under Reason or Science? Biology? Religion? Evolution? Creationism? Why is this here?

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 04:40:26 UTC | #853375

mmurray's Avatar Comment 8 by mmurray

If it is in The Onion it is satire. It is also tagged Humor.

Michael

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 05:27:57 UTC | #853382

skiles1's Avatar Comment 9 by skiles1

Comment 8 by mmurray :

If it is in The Onion it is satire. It is also tagged Humor.

Michael

This one, from a few days earlier, is pretty good, Michael: http://www.theonion.com/articles/god-urges-rick-perry-not-to-run-for-president,20981/

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 05:41:57 UTC | #853387

mmurray's Avatar Comment 10 by mmurray

Comment 9 by skiles1 :

Comment 8 by mmurray :

If it is in The Onion it is satire. It is also tagged Humor.

Michael

LOL. The Onion is brilliant. I loved the article a year ago about police arresting Jesus as a terrorist and commenting that he was hard to catch because he "moved in mysterious ways".

Some of their video/TV things are great as well.

Michael

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 05:48:47 UTC | #853388

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 11 by aquilacane

Ha ha. Nice kick to the ass. Art's as full of shit as any religion, as much blind worship too.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:31:08 UTC | #853462

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 12 by QuestioningKat

Comment 2 by skiles1 :

And being from Detroit, I can confirm it. Time to move on.

I was just there yesterday. Stopped by to visit the art museum after the Ann Arbor street fair. Yes, this article was a joke, but not to people living in economically depressed areas. It's hard knowing people who have been out of work for over a year. Rusted cars may have a wabi sabi appeal, but not when you know the driver or you are the driver. It IS time to move on and find a new vision. Frankly, I've been enjoying painting meaningless happy plein air paintings lately. I'd rather not comment on any of the politics and economy of the day. To each their own. By the way, I hear fantasy sells well at the movies during economically difficult times.

Regarding comment 11. Could you please support your comment. Yes, I think that there is BS in art, but I will trust art and nature before any sermon any day.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 14:11:49 UTC | #853487

skiles1's Avatar Comment 13 by skiles1

Comment 12 by QuestioningKat :

Comment 2 by skiles1 :

I've got a sense of humor about it. The Onion is pretty funny.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:33:55 UTC | #853531

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 14 by QuestioningKat

Yeah the soulless suburban sprawl is. Not a lot of great art using this subject matter.

There is still lots of room for "urban decay to create deeply moving, socially conscious works of art" Driving home I was thinking that someone should collect the massive amounts of tire treads scattered all over the highway because of all the blow outs from the heat (I saw a couple blowouts yesterday) and then create some art or even recycled purses or art objects.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:20:33 UTC | #853558

skiles1's Avatar Comment 15 by skiles1

Comment 14 by QuestioningKat :

Have you seen the Heidelberg Project? Did you get a chance to go there while you were here?

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:43:43 UTC | #853571

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 16 by Marc Country

Comment 11 by aquilacane

Yeah... stupid museums and art and paintings and sculptures and stuff. And music, and books, what a bunch of junk. I only like beakers and science stuff. Right, everyone?

Isn't real urban decay a bigger problem than its artistic depiction? A more fertile source for satire, non?

And what, again, is this satire on art doing on the Richard Dawkins "News" list? I'm honestly baffled. It seems so jarringly out of place, unrelated to anything else I've ever read here before...

Don't get me wrong, I love the Onion, but this is a pretty lame one-liner. The subject matter is never the problem with art, anyway: it's all a matter of execution. A plate of fruit isn't all that interesting, either, until an artist makes it so.

Hopefully, not all science nerds are ignorant of this common sense art stuff.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:52:33 UTC | #853591

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 17 by QuestioningKat

Comment 17 by QuestioningKat :

Oh Grrr! It was on my list of art places and I obviously drove passed the streets. I didn't know what it was, otherwise I would have looked for it. I tried going to a few galleries and after they were closed or in between exhibits, I decided to have lunch at that Raw food/juice place. By then it was time to head back to Cleveland. Talk about another depressed city. At least they cleaned it up a bit during the White mayoral years. I heard when Hollywood shot that film about Danny Green, they actually had to go to Detroit to shoot some Cleveland scenes because (of tax breaks) and Cleveland was too cleaned up.

Comment 16 "Hopefully, not all science nerds are ignorant of this common sense art stuff."

I'm pretty aware/involved in the "common sense" art stuff. It's the science I'm ignorant about which is why I'm here to learn. I'm glad for the occasional art topics tossed in this site. It gives me incentive to read some of the more science-heavy topics.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:42:39 UTC | #853632

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 18 by Marc Country

This, for example, would have made sense to me, to be posted here:

It's a joke about genetics, get it? Science related, etc...

The Onion is great, but, again, this article has no business being here. The context is off, and the joke isn't one of the Onion's best works, not by a LONG shot (the link I put above is WAY funnier).

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 02:36:49 UTC | #853690

gordon's Avatar Comment 19 by gordon

Unfortunately art is full of shit. Unfortunately, those of us in the arts who don’t subscribe to the shit on offer and whose art is inspired by science and reason can’t get our work shown. At its best art should challenge and inform, fire imagination and aspire. Most current art is either wallpaper or non comprehensible. It is then subsumed into the establishment to avoid the threat. I read a line this morning that British Airways is sponsoring and artist to work with the ‘famous’ Tracey Emin to put something inspiring onto their aircraft. One wonders how many people will want to fly BA with a pair of dirty knickers hanging off the tail fin. Art and science where once bedfellows but this seems not to be the case now. I have tried to initiate a discussion thread about this on this website but it seems to art allergic or possibly thinking I’m trying to advertise. Either way it’s been rejected.

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 09:03:29 UTC | #853735

njwong's Avatar Comment 20 by njwong

Comment 18 by Marc Country :

This, for example, would have made sense to me, to be posted here:

It's a joke about genetics, get it? Science related, etc...

I agree! The male heir article is way funnier!

...The direct result of several million years of evolution in which tree-dwelling primates moved to the land and began walking upright in order to take advantage of available resources told reporters he had not seen the film since his childhood, when he watched it frequently, and added that he "really enjoyed" the scene where Tom Hanks ate the sardines....

Classic Onion absurdity at its very best :-)

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:05:16 UTC | #853750

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 21 by QuestioningKat

Comment 19 by gordon :

This is supposed to be a site about reason as well. So far, I've only come across a couple of people who are art literate here. That's probably a good reason why people complain about these types of topics. Maybe if you approach the topic as art and science divorced and are now getting back together again, you'd get some responses. Anyway, I think this post has seen it's life and others have moved on, so I'm willing to give it a go.

You commented that "whose art is inspired by science and reason can't get our work shown." I don't think that is actually true. I find that there are few reasons for this happening. First, the art isn't actually good and no one has stepped up to tell the artist why. Second, the artist does not know his market and is looking in all the wrong places. Third, the artist is not making use of the internet or non-traditional outlets. Fourth, the artist is not involved with some sort of group art support or organization. Fifth, the artist is in need of finding artists doing similar work and finding ways that they could help support each other in some form of movement. Sixth, the artist is using excuses and rationalizations to keep himself stuck.

The internet allows me to look at art from an artist living in rural Russia. If I want to find someone, anywhere doing anything, it can be found. Today, art is like a buffet, the challenge is realizing that it is not all laid out on one table for you to quickly pick up and go. I bet if you started searching, you could find 20 artists who are combining science with art.

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:34:19 UTC | #853997

gordon's Avatar Comment 22 by gordon

Comment 21 by QuestioningKat

Let me just come back at you with one or two things.

1, The Art isn’t very good.

I know how good my work is. I have a work in the Chatsworth collection, a nude Madonna, a direct challenge to the pious rubbish promoted by the church, bought by the late Duke of Devonshire.

2, Doesn’t know his market.

There are many art markets. As my work has been expensive to produce, it is limited to wealthy individuals or groups. It isn’t painted for a market. It is painted because the subjects are ones which I am passionate about. I have never painted to please another or for a market or for any other taste than my own. Anyone who does this is not an artist; they are simply manufacturers of images. 99% of art is sold to hand above someone’s sofa, little more than wallpaper. This isn’t a bad thing but it is like saying that science is about an hypothesis without following through and doing the exploration. That would be science lite as they are art lite. Others in the ‘high’ echelons of the art world produce work which is so abstract as to be devoid of any meaning. You could stand in front of most of the work in contemporary galleries today and as long as you uttered a few platitudes like, iconic, the humour or irony of the artist, vision, huge breadth, from her tortured soul, etc, you wouldn’t know which piece you were in front of. I tend to paint in a manner that can be directly understood, which means figurative not abstraction and I don’t hold back. More PZ Myers than RD.

3 Use the net as an outlet.

Difficult for me as the collection will take four years. The pictures are very large, some 6mtrs, one 9mtrs. They are also difficult to photograph. They are also expensive to create, the frame on the celestial teapot cost me £14k to produce. The frame for the dance of death which I am just starting is in excess of £28k. I am reluctant to put it out on the net until I have found a method of presenting it correctly. My point was, that to get a picture shown with content that directly challenges faith is very difficult. As soon as I send them a picture it is rejected.

4 Not involved with other groups or artists

Agreed, Can’t stand art speak or other artists. Hate the idea of being in a group of any sort. I am a cantankerous old bastard.

5 Stuck

Hmm. A Tracyism. Of course I am stuck. I want to explore human nature, global climate change, population overload, religion, science, the universe and everything. What am I supposed to move on to within my short lifetime?

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:33:17 UTC | #854139

gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by gordon

If the mods will allow me to reply I will try and answer QuestioningKat

Let me just come back at you with one or two things.

1, The Art isn’t very good.

2, Doesn’t know his market.

3 Use the net as an outlet.

4 Not involved with other groups or artists

5 Stuck

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:06:30 UTC | #854210

gordon's Avatar Comment 24 by gordon

Dear Mods, am I allowed to answer comment 21? Or not.

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:22:35 UTC | #854251

Moderator's Avatar Comment 25 by Moderator

Gordon - be our guest!

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:15:38 UTC | #854273

gordon's Avatar Comment 26 by gordon

Thankyou

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:08:16 UTC | #854293

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 27 by aquilacane

Comment 16 by Marc Country

Comment 11 by aquilacane

We finally agree! Smart ass

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:45:07 UTC | #854780

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 28 by aquilacane

Comment 19 by gordon

Feel your pain brother. You have to find a stunt to be an artist not a purpose.

Comment 22 by gordon

4 Not involved with other groups or artists

I'm not old but I am a bastard. We could be the group of Two Bastards. I'll be the lazy one with the shittier art. Ignore my scribbles as reliable examples of my work.

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:47:23 UTC | #854783

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 29 by QuestioningKat

OK, Here's my perspective. I think when you have limited time, there is a need to focus on what you really want to do and achieve. Do you want to just create? Do you want money? Recognition? An Audience? A balance of all?

My advice is to not try for perfection - four years - the perfect photo - the perfect next step - or whatever. I would try to find someone who could help you start a blog which can then be linked to a website that you create later down the road. You need to find ways to get connections even if it is a link on someone else's site. Preferably, you should join forces with other artists of a similar perspective and have an art show, even if it means renting a warehouse space for a couple of months. Think of nontraditional ways of promoting your work. Friday gallery walks. Open studio events...I think you also need to find nontraditional spaces, businesses, and such. Maybe even galleries outside of your country. Google "Art Biz Blog." Not sure if this will help....

Notice you said your work was more PZ than RD. Who is the PZ follower? Young smart ass twenty-year-olds without enough money to buy those pricey frames. Following the traditional route with non-traditional work has put you at a disadvantage. You need to find a way to get "1,000 true fans" this may require bypassing the gallery scene (at least most galleries unless you research heavily) and getting directly to your buyer via the internet. What type of sites would you guess that your buyer would frequent? What products or services would the person use? Where does this person go?

Not sure if I'm any help, good luck

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 02:32:50 UTC | #854921

gordon's Avatar Comment 30 by gordon

QuestioningKat/Aquilacane

I have a business plan out to some investors at the moment. Not hopefull. Going down the crowdsourcing route next, as in aiming for a private show in Cork St in four years. Offering 50% of company set up to investors. Content is a problem as my work can be very explicit. I first read Richards work 30 yrs ago and it has influenced me ever since. I was always an atheist, even my degree show offered this type of work but it took me time to realise that it is sometimes important to make it plain to others, particularly when the faith heads tend to get away with postulating 'facts' regarding their beliefs. After spending a long time working in Yemen, the full implication of belief hit home. That started me on a series of paintings regarding belief. We shall see.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:10:08 UTC | #854998