← Kosher Pork in Sunnyside

Kosher Pork in Sunnyside - Comments

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 1 by Ignorant Amos

It's all just a big piss take. How to circumvent a bunch of ridiculously stupid rules because it's really all a load of shite, but hey, it's religion.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:04:04 UTC | #854887

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 2 by God fearing Atheist

Haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha!

Poor pigs. Still dead.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:22:23 UTC | #854894

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

Religion. Keeping us safe from unclean animals for thousands of years. Sometimes, inless the price is right.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:28:45 UTC | #854896

zengardener's Avatar Comment 4 by zengardener

Will they donate the pork to a soup kitchen? I think relabeling it might be more fuss than it is worth. Financially, I mean. Of course it isn't actually worth any fuss at all.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 04:11:42 UTC | #854950

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 5 by Vorlund

LMAO! They are even discussing the accuracy of the fucking labels!

Don't eat pork eat, sheep brains and get a Cruezfeld Jacob disease instead!

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:31:20 UTC | #854987

pessoy's Avatar Comment 6 by pessoy

As a non religious, jewish not by choice, Israeli student I am a witness to the religious irationality taking over Israel politics. Yet, I must say that this artical is complete non-sense. The sticker on the meat says nothing about it being kosher, it just say the name of the butcher. More than that, I think you can look at the platform pig farms as a rediculouse thing, or as a disguised liberal way to bypass religious sensitive issues. Israel is not a religious free country yet, it is a state ment for jews and therfore must respect the jewish laws. Still, there are many jews, like me, who consume pork meat and that is why it is allowed. I can assure you no religious jewish would eat that meat, so if you want to call it irrationality, call it politics. Give us facts, not stories, otherwise your'e not doing any better.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:59:53 UTC | #854995

Tony d's Avatar Comment 7 by Tony d

The belief that animals need to be ritualistically slaughtered is a very sick one. In my eyes the people who endorse this kind of thing are as ridiculous, as those tribes who at one time believed that having there photo taken would capture their souls. It all smacks of magic and voodoo. when will people grow up?

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:48:43 UTC | #855040

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 8 by Nunbeliever

Still, it does not make it any less absurd. That you are able to circumvent a law in such a silly way. Or the law is in my opinion silly in first place but this illustrates how things get absurd when you have absurd laws and rules.

I worked in Israel for some time and I have many good examples of how absurd these rules really are. As you probably know in many hospitals the elevators automatically stop at every floor on Saturdays so orthodox jews can use the elevator in hospitals even on the sabbath. For some strange reason ortodox jews are not allowed to press buttons on the sabbat. I can't imagine the Torah mentioning anything about buttons, but what do I know. In the house where I lived there was this old woman who would knock on my door every Saturday morning and ask if I could push the elevator button since she was not allowed to as an ortodox jew. At the office we had a janitor who bragged the whole year about what a superb barbeque chef he was. Then finally we had a pool party and he promised to show his skills. Well, it turned out that this party was on a Saturday. Unfortunately as an ortodox jew he's not allowed to use or light fires on the sabbath so he was not able to show his superb skills... The next thing he did after proclaiming this was to light a cigarrette. My embassy (on which I worked) funded this project that dealt with how the old city in Jerusalem could hypothetically be transformed into a free-zone where Palestinians and Israelis could move freely. It would not belong to neither Israel or Palestine. I remember one big problem though. Security. Yes, security is always a great concern but there was a specific problem I found amusing. Some orthodox jews are not allowed to wear identity cards. Hence it was really hard to design a proper security system.

What is the point with all these anecdotes? Well, you clearly see how absurd these religious rules are when put into practice in a modern society. People do everything they can to circumvent the rules when it suits their purposes. No one really cares about what the real purpose is with having all these rules. I am quite sure the original purpose with all these rules regarding the sabbath for example is not to prevent people from doing these very specific things while everything that is not explicitly forbidden is allowed. No, the original meaning is of course that Jahve according to the Thora created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. Hence, on the sabbath you should rest, not work, etc. I am pretty sure that to ask other people to push buttons instead of you is not in line with the original spirit, so to speak. This just goes to show how absurd things get when you have absurd rules...

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:19:45 UTC | #855048

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 9 by hemidemisemigod

God: "Thou shalt not make fire on the sabbath."

Chosen People: "Okay, we'll pay some non-chosen people to do this for us."

God: "Doh!"

God: "Thou shalt not carry things between a private area and a public area on the sabbath."

Chosen People: "Okay, we'll set up a perimeter wire on poles around the entire district and consider the area within private."

God: "Doh!"

God: "Thou shalt not raise pigs on holy ground."

Chose People: "Okay, we'll raise them a few feet off the ground on wooden planks."

God: "Doh!"

Chosen People: "Any more rules?"

God: "Don't rush me! I'm thinking! Oh yes, here's one. Thou shalt not… no, wait a minute that's too easy… erm... er.... um... I'll get back to you."

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:11:02 UTC | #855111

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 10 by Nunbeliever

To hemidemisemigod:

No, stop hahaha I am literally ROTFL! Please! Some mercy, please! :D

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:49:05 UTC | #855129

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 11 by Saganic Rites

Going off on a slight tangent, I've often wondered what the desert ramblers had against the inoffensive porcine beasts. I never bought the 'unclean' slur; the pig is no more unclean than goats, sheep, cattle. etc, so there has to be something else behind it.

The only thing that comes close to explaining is cannibalism; I've often read that human flesh is so similar to pig flesh as to be almost indistinguishable, so could it simply be a reaction to unscrupulous 'Sweeney Todd' style bronze age meat traders?

"Nice dinner Ibrahim, the pork trotters were cooked to perfection. I wasn't aware that pigs had toenails though"!

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:35:29 UTC | #855151

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 12 by Ignorant Amos

Kosher Wine, Mevushal Wine, Definitions, Explanations, has to be up there with the daftest of all Yahweh's silly foibles, but then the Lord has his mysterious ways.

There is an hilarious part in Bill Maher's "Religulous" where he takes the piss out of some gadgets to circumvent the mosaic laws.

The Zomet Institute is hard at work with innovations to bypass breaking a bunch of rules that beggar belief in the first place.

Well, it least it's all good for a laugh, knowing all this was to come, as god would've, ya can't help feel a god with a sense of humour, I mean electricity ffs, what was god thinking about?.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:42:23 UTC | #855154

G*O*D's Avatar Comment 13 by G*O*D

Comment 6 by pessoy

Not so, according to expert opinion.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:43:26 UTC | #855155

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 14 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 11 by Saganic Rites

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, but Wiki has a few ideas that work as well as any.

Prohibition of pork consumption in Jewish law

Perhaps someone here will know the reason.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:53:56 UTC | #855160

G*O*D's Avatar Comment 15 by G*O*D

Comment 11 by Saganic Rites

If I was an inoffensive porcine beast, I would not call this 'against'.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:00:24 UTC | #855162

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 16 by Saganic Rites

@ GOD Comment #15

Point taken, I'm sure that the pig wouldn't care (if it had the ability to care) why it wasn't being eaten, although if it could care I'm sure it would rather be called 'sacred' than 'dirty'. I just can't quite get my noodle around the apparently arbitrary 'unclean' label affixed to some and not to others.

I'm aware that in the days before refrigeration, pork was (and still is) more likely to cause food poisoning than beef or goat, but it's no more or less 'dangerous' than chicken and fish, which are allowed. We know that religion poisons everything, but so will pork after a day or two in desert conditions, so maybe the cult leaders couldn't handle the competition.

I suppose when all is said and done there's no definitive answer, it's just one more religious contradictory rule that makes no sense but MUST be unquestionably obeyed.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:42:33 UTC | #855210

GPWC's Avatar Comment 17 by GPWC

Comment 16 by Saganic Rites :

This is the reason for all unnecessary religious rules. Most followers are happy to follow whatever nonsense they are told, and those who don't are, by this means, singled out and isolated until they too are cowed.

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:17:43 UTC | #855555