← Interview With Professor Richard Wiseman

Interview With Professor Richard Wiseman - Comments

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 1 by All About Meme

What a refreshing read. Finally, an informative article about "the paranormal", where the author makes no attempt to disingenously leave the reader wondering, if there actually are invisible things that go bump in the night.

We're lucky to have Richard Wiseman on our side. What a great job this man has!

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:07:35 UTC | #860336

JuJu's Avatar Comment 2 by JuJu

I use to suffer from sleep paralyses, I had 3 episodes when I was younger between 17 to 23 years of age. That was absolutely the most freaky thing I've ever experienced. I was afraid to tell anyone that it had happened, it wasn't until much later when I got a computer that I decided to research what had happened and was surprised to find out it was fairly common. The real freaky thing about it is that everyone experiences similar stuff. Freaky like you're gonna die right on the spot freaky, its fucked up.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:01:19 UTC | #860347

ccr5Delta32's Avatar Comment 3 by ccr5Delta32

I feel he might sell a lot more ibooks or whatever had he used a little more elusive title "Why we see what isn't there " says it all . It's a book about psychology and not about paranormal . I'm guessing here that books about paranormal sell better than fact books about psychology .A less obvious title could catch the "sitting on the fence skeptics " who think . Paranormal ! , is there anything to it ? . A little dishonest maybe but consider what titles authors on the other side of the skeptical spectrum will use . Like , Paranormal the Truth or Paranormal the real story . Leaving the reader with an impression of credibility

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:07:41 UTC | #860348

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 4 by thebaldgit

I have just finished the Paranormality book, what an excellent book both funny and informative. Who ya gonna call? Richard Wiseman. I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:42:00 UTC | #860365

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 5 by Saganic Rites

Well blow me! I only bought Quirkology yesterday (paperback, £1.99 from a well-known discount bookshop) and can't wait to read it now. Trouble is, I've just started to re-read Billions and Billions by my idol, so unfortunately Prof. Wiseman will have to wait a week.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:59:28 UTC | #860386

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 6 by SaganTheCat

Comment 2 by JuJu :

I've experienced it a few times and agree, no matter how rational you are the experience is utterly freaky and I'm glad I've had it happen to me. so many stories I've heard from people that are "definitely definitley a ghost and your so called science can't understand" have involved classic symptoms.

not being a muslim I was quite ignorant of the story of mohammed until recently when I watched that awful documentry on his life recently (awful because what I thought would be an interesting historical documentry turned out to be littered with anti-western asides but i digress) and the descriptino of his first angellic encounter bore every hallmark of the condition, including the fact he was so desperately tired before going to sleep (in my experience it often accompanies a night of sleep after an exhusting day).

Like you I wouldn't have told anyone about my experience either if my muffled attempts to scream didn't wake my girlfriend up!

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:03:00 UTC | #860387

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 7 by KenChimp

I have to add this to my reading list.

There are invisible things that go 'blurp' in the night, though. I think they're haunting my stomach. ;-}

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:23:22 UTC | #860438

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 8 by Functional Atheist

Sounds like an interesting read. I like the notion of starting with the fact that many people have seen or felt things that were uncanny--most people prefer to have their subjective experience respected, and I think you're more likely to change people's minds if that's your starting point.

While nothing remotely paranormal has happened to me, I've had a couple of bright, otherwise-skeptical friends who were convinced they'd experienced the paranormal. One believed he'd seen ghosts, while the other witnessed what she was convinced was either telekinesis, or objects being moved by spectral forces.

They didn't care much for my tepid suggestions that they were dreaming, or hallucinating, so we had to agree to disagree about the meaning of their experiences, and both friendships suffered as a result. These things happen, but the unfortunate aspect isn't so much that I was unable to change their minds, but that they felt my attempt was disrespectful. I just didn't have the information to flesh out my arguments to the point where I wasn't coming across as dismissive, and I think that's where this book may prove to be valuable.

Sun, 14 Aug 2011 06:07:02 UTC | #860891

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 9 by Zeuglodon

I finished the book. It's a good read, with a neat test at the beginning. Now I know lots of sneaky tricks to play on other people. The intermission was funny, too.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:34:16 UTC | #875706