← Perseid Meteor Shower Light Show Peaks Tonight

Perseid Meteor Shower Light Show Peaks Tonight - Comments

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 1 by Alan4discussion

In my part of the UK the sky is solid cloud at the moment, but I recall some years ago camped with some pals in an unlit mountain valley, sitting by the embers of a camp-fire, eating barbecued pork, fire-baked potatoes, drinking beer, and watching a succession of these streak across the dark starlit sky.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:24:32 UTC | #860501

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 2 by Saganic Rites

And true to form, a complete cloud cover over here in the East Midlands that is not expected to clear.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:26:39 UTC | #860502

Prankster's Avatar Comment 3 by Prankster

Solid grey clouds here no break predicted at all and it's pissing with rain as well.....

May have to watch out for it next year.....

Shit...!

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:52:43 UTC | #860507

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 4 by alaskansee

Nice Alan4discussion, I will be in the here

enjoying some beer, sausages and good company

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:56:01 UTC | #860509

SheilaC's Avatar Comment 5 by SheilaC

For those of you under cloud in the UK, consider coming to La Palma next year. We have the best skies in Europe.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:51:22 UTC | #860526

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 6 by Saganic Rites

Yep, just shy of 9pm and still no sign of clear sky. DAMN YOU (insert name of weather-influencing deity or other non-corporeal entity here), I WANNA SEE THE LIGHT SHOW!!!

Still, I have seen the occasional meteorite (shooting star still sounds nicer, dontcha think?) over the last few nights, so mustn't grumble I s'pose.

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:52:12 UTC | #860528

Pitchguest's Avatar Comment 7 by Pitchguest

Sure, but meteorite rain sounds cooler. ;-)

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:35:07 UTC | #860537

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 8 by quarecuss

I saw a shooting star nearly two weeks ago in Northern Ontario on a clear, clear, starlit night above a quiet lake and I had my new specs on! It was like something out of a medieval depiction. A burst of light with the widest cone of "sparks" I have ever seen from a meteor. It was so brief but oh-so brilliant. It may have been because I didn't have any artificial light on for a couple of hours previous that made it so spectacular. We have a clear night here in Toronto tonight so I might get out there late but big city light pollution will put a huge damper on the effect of anything like the one last week.

Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:35:40 UTC | #860589

weavehole's Avatar Comment 9 by weavehole

I stayed up until the bright Full Moon finally set at about 4am here in Nagoya. A fairly clear night, which is unusual in itself, but no shooting stars unfortunately.

I did get to watch Jupiter rise above the horizon and slowly reach a point almost directly above me though, which was cool. Mars was following behind but somewhere in between there was another very bright star that seemed to flicker white, blue and red (maybe a few other parts of the spectrum too but not so much). The skies weren't clear enough to position it amongst any particular constellation. Looking at the Planets iphone app it may have been in Taurus or Perseus. Any ideas what star it could have been?

Will have another look tonight clouds permitting.

Sat, 13 Aug 2011 04:14:24 UTC | #860608

JuJu's Avatar Comment 10 by JuJu

North coast of California here, and its foggy as usual, dammit!

Sat, 13 Aug 2011 06:03:30 UTC | #860623

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 11 by mordacious1

ZOOM! Just watched the space station spend 6 minutes crossing the sky above my house in Grass Valley, CA. Hauling butt (of course). Couldn't see any meteorites, full moon and all. The station will be back in1 1/2 hours, but for only 2 minutes then.

Sun, 14 Aug 2011 04:23:42 UTC | #860878