← New Item in Store - RDFRS Bumper Sticker

New Item in Store - RDFRS Bumper Sticker - Comments

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 1 by Chris Boccia

I'll buy one. It'll go well with my Darwin Fish.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:52:01 UTC | #863291

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 2 by Agrajag

Hmmm... if I put one of those on my car, it would make it easier for dim-bulb fundies to appreciate my IXNAY fish, :-D
Steve

Mon, 29 Aug 2011 00:47:53 UTC | #865052

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 3 by Charliewhite

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:10:03 UTC | #867552

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 4 by Steve Zara

Comment 3 by Charliewhite

One approach to such accusations is to heartily embrace them. I don't know if Richard is a vain man, but then why should I care? What matters is whether or not he is right about religion, and as far as I am concerned, he is. I would be very happy indeed to put such a sticker on my car. I would also wear a T-shirt even if it was of Richard happening to look particularly vain.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:17:16 UTC | #867554

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 5 by Paula Kirby

Charliewhite: Why would I want a bumper sticker? This worship of the Richard is getting a bit 'religious'. He is accused as being a vain man by the christian right and this kind of name on a sticker stuff is fuel to that argument.Thought provoking messages yes but a name no way!

This from the author of this?!

Go to: Put the "X" back in Xmas
Jump to comment 21 by Charliewhite

I have thought for a while that we should celebrate Richard with the world. A day in March to promote critical thinking may get a bit of media attention. The 12 days of Dawkins could be a way to debunk the nonsense in the world.
Sunday, 26 December 2010 at 9:05 AM | #568904

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:25:10 UTC | #867556

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 6 by All About Meme

Comment 3 by Charliewhite

Why would I want a bumper sticker?

It's a meme war. Don't you get it?

Exposing people to the meme "Richard Dawkins" will cause some percentage of them to Google the name, or perhaps to recognize it when they see it crop up again, which may lead them to this website -- where they might learn a bit about science and atheism.

It's not that difficult a concept.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:02:09 UTC | #867566

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 7 by Charliewhite

Yes it is from me. Was testing the water with the original post to see if anyone jumped on it. One thing that has disturbed me over the last few years is the attraction of non critical thinkers to organised atheism. I see people getting into it because they think it makes them look clever by association. The kind of people who blindly follow religion can also blindly follow atheist thinkers. They look for idols and badges in the same way as any of the fish on the car brigade. Nobody responded to my first post so I guess I was wrong about idolotary of Richard. But equally disturbing nobody told me it was a daft idea. I do still maintain the direction of promoting RD as an idol to the masses is wrong. If I committed an offence with that first post then please throw the book at me. Bumper sticking messages is absolutely the right thing to do if it promotes thinking e.g. There is no God campaign. Putting RDs name on your car as the main message does not, it just antognises others and fails to get any message over. People will find this site if they want to. Richard does a pretty good job of putting an atheist opinion across which will get people thinking critically. The point is it is an opinion, a learned one at that but we are anti religion and grouping on the word of one and promoting one mans name is getting very close to religion.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:14:51 UTC | #867567

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 8 by All About Meme

Comment 7 by Charliewhite

People will find this site if they want to.

This isn't critical thinking. It's nonsense. If someone doesn't know the name Richard Dawkins, all the "wanting" in the world won't lead them to his website.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:40:50 UTC | #867580

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 9 by Paula Kirby

Comment 7 by Charliewhite

Oh for goodness' sake. If the bumper sticker said 'Richard Dawkins' and nothing else, you might have the beginnings of a point. But it says 'The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science'. So it's the exact equivalent of having a bumper sticker that says 'Macmillan Cancer Support' or 'The Suzy Lamplugh Trust' or 'Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice' or 'The Esther Benjamins Trust' (to pick a few at random from a list of UK charities). Are they in danger of becoming religions too?

Is it vanity to include your name in the name of a Foundation you set up? If you are otherwise unknown, you could argue that it is. But when your name is as well known as Richard Dawkins's is - when the values it stands for are as instantly recognisable - you would be absolutely barmy NOT to include it in the name of the Foundation you set up to promote those values. It's called branding. If it didn't work, big corporations wouldn't spend a fortune on doing it.

Finally, I'm sorry, but we need a new Law, the equivalent of Godwin's Law. This law will be as follows: "As an online discussion involving atheists grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving religion approaches 1 (100%)." It'll need a name, though. I'm proposing Charlie's Law, in honour of the fact you achieved it by Comment 3.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:50:04 UTC | #867581

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 10 by Charliewhite

Look hard at what you have just written, replace the words Richard Dawkins with Billy Graham and tell me how you would react. I like your law it makes me fell suitably small but I am not comparing Atheism to Religion just the following of one man so prominantly.....I think that is a different point. If it is a frequently made point on here then perhaps you have a point to name a law after me and I would be honoured.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:04:29 UTC | #867583

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 11 by Paula Kirby

Charliewhite: Look hard at what you have just written, replace the words Richard Dawkins with Billy Graham and tell me how you would react.

I'd say Billy Graham understood the power of branding. It seems you don't, and that's fine: no one is expected to understand everything. But in that case, perhaps better not to make an idiot of oneself by publicly commenting on it, eh?

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:11:24 UTC | #867585

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 12 by Tyler Durden

Comment 7 by Charliewhite :

People will find this site if they want to.

Has someone been reading The Secret during his lunchtime?

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:15:47 UTC | #867587

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 13 by Charliewhite

He did and he was most certainly a vain man but this is not going anywhere productive. I withdraw.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:16:36 UTC | #867588

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 14 by Tyler Durden

Comment 10 by Charliewhite :

Richard's site (and foundation) freely promotes the work of others (Krauss, Myers, Harris, Dennett, Hitchens etc) so your point is unfounded.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:21:32 UTC | #867590

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 15 by Charliewhite

At the risk of going off topic what is the secret?

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:23:16 UTC | #867591

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 16 by All About Meme

New Item in Store - RDFRS Bumper Sticker:

THAT ENGLISH ATHEIST DUDE

(Website URL: You'll find it if you really want to!)

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:29:35 UTC | #867594

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 17 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:32:52 UTC | #867596

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 18 by All About Meme

Comment 15 by Charliewhite

At the risk of going off topic what is the secret?

You'll find the secret if you really want to.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:42:43 UTC | #867602

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 19 by Charliewhite

Tyler - Fair enough point about the site and Richard promoting the views of other thinkers.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:45:37 UTC | #867603

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 20 by Robert Howard

Comment 13 by Charliewhite :

Don't give up, son. If you believed what you said and were being truthful, then stick to your guns. And certainly never give in to bullying.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:47:26 UTC | #867605

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 21 by Charliewhite

Thanks Robert, not giving in just no point going with a particular discussion when the constructive comments dry up.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:55:40 UTC | #867607

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 22 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:03:08 UTC | #867613

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 23 by All About Meme

Comment 21 by Charliewhite

So in what possible manner was your original comment constructive? Were you attempting to cancel the bumper sticker project? Were you encouraging people not to buy the sticker? Were you proposing an alternative design, perhaps? What would that new design entail?

Constructive? I see nothing but destructive criticism in your posts. And poorly written, to boot.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:04:26 UTC | #867614

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 24 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:16:58 UTC | #867621

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 25 by Charliewhite

True. I would admit not a constructive comment as it was a little provocative to get a debate started on a subject. Just like RD uses fairies at the bottom of the garden and mental child abuse to get attention. The constructive part is that I think over promoting Richards name can be counter productive and we need to watch that. I notice foundation has been dropped to lower case. More moderate religious people have starting branding all Atheists under his name. I could list many articles where religous people talk about followers of RD when refering to all athiests. A sticker backs up that message. The other fact to face is that to the wider public Richard Dawkins style is not sympathetic. People switch off to the agressive stance and even mainstream comics brand him smug. Not fair just a misreading of style but look what that kind of press did to Gordon Brown. Sorry you don't think I write well, not sure of the relevance of that point to the debate. I would however be interested to know what you think I am attempting to destroy? I would like to add that none of my posts have been removed which does prove this is a place for open debate and worth promoting. Just need a different bumper sticker design. Perhaps a message in bold, with richarddawkins.net in lower case?

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:18:24 UTC | #867641

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 26 by Charliewhite

...

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:27:41 UTC | #867642

mmurray's Avatar Comment 27 by mmurray

Comment 25 by Charliewhite :

Who is this "we" and when did you get elected to lead it ? You should try to do something about your style it comes across as arrogant. Not your fault but there it is.

How does that work ? The sticker doesn't even mention atheism.

You seriously think that people will stop attacking Richard if he changes his "style" ? They won't stop attacking him until he stops pointing out the home truths about religion.

Who are you proving this to ? Not me as I knew that already.

I suggest you look up "concern troll" on wikipedia.

Michael

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:35:45 UTC | #867676

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 28 by All About Meme

Comment 25 by Charliewhite

Perhaps a message in bold, with richarddawkins.net in lower case?

What message? Let's hear it. Quit blathering on and propose something constructive.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:47:25 UTC | #867750

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 29 by HappyPrimate

I've proudly had this bumper sticker on my car for almost 2 years now. I put it there to show my support for "reason and science" more than anything else. The sticker can direct people to RichardDawkins.net to see for themselves what I support. I live in a heavily populated godbot city and I have been pleasantly pleased that the sticker has not been defaced or removed so far. I also have an "evolve fish" as well. I'm getting up the nerve to put my red "A" on, but I'm not quite there yet. Most people will just probably think I'm an Alabama football fan anyway. Most I have to worry about is the LSU fans.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 00:55:35 UTC | #874151