← Ricky Gervais on cover of Sept/Oct issue of New Humanist – on sale 25 August

Ricky Gervais on cover of Sept/Oct issue of New Humanist – on sale 25 August - Comments

JuJu's Avatar Comment 1 by JuJu

Thy savior hath commeth.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:29:27 UTC | #863940

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 2 by huzonfurst

Is this on sale anywhere in the US?

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:50:20 UTC | #863951

ZIwxBeheld's Avatar Comment 3 by ZIwxBeheld

I have to applaud him (with only a little jealousy) about the weight loss. Although he's sucking that belly in quite a bit.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:56:42 UTC | #863954

Sara12's Avatar Comment 4 by Sara12

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 01:59:44 UTC | #863980

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Hanson

What was the one movie he was in not long ago called, The Invention of Lying, or something like that? I rather liked the image of him holding up pizza box tops as if they were the tablets with the 10 commandments on them. Fucking hilarious :)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 02:01:24 UTC | #863981

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 6 by huzonfurst

@5, "The Invention of Lying" was a great flick! Its main theme was that religion wasn't thought of until people learned to lie, and the rest as they say is history.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 04:23:13 UTC | #864007

Teknical's Avatar Comment 7 by Teknical

Yes he does have the right and so do we. However, I bet he wouldn't wrap a towel around his head and say the same thing. But then we all know what happens to high profile people who believe in freedom of speech.

Being an atheist is not about having a go at the christians, the greater problem is the evil extremist religions which will fill the gap left by the christian decline. They will not go away and evidence seems to show that they are on the increase.

When will we see Monty Python doing, "The life of Mustaffa" with hordes of believers and non-believers sitting next to each other crying into their pop corn? Not in my lifetime methinks.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:38:56 UTC | #864051

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 8 by hemidemisemigod

He gives some very good Bible classes.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:48:57 UTC | #864054

emastro's Avatar Comment 9 by emastro

Quite frankly, Teknical, it's also a matter of priorities. I don't see Muslims causing the same amount of sheer damage to equal rights (gay marriage/adoption, anyone?), education, science and in general to knowledge as Christians anywhere in the Western world. Abortion wasn't illegal in my home country (Italy) because of Muslims, and it wasn't Omar Bakri Mohammed who kept it illegal to this day in Ireland; it was not Muslims who left 6000 death threats to atheists on the Fox New Facebook page; it is not Muslims who are desperately trying to screw the US back into the Neolithic; it is not Muslims who shoot up abortion clinics and terrorize doctors and their families.

Being an atheist means also, often, having a go at whoever is the most active in trying to damage your life because their imaginary friend says so - and in spite of media hysterics, in the West the most active are not the Muslims

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:53:36 UTC | #864055

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 10 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Comment 7 by Teknical

Your right about there being greater problems. But it makes me laugh that the best slogan Christians can come with these days is:

"We're not as bad as Muslims!"

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:41:45 UTC | #864063

Teknical's Avatar Comment 11 by Teknical

Prioritising sounds fine at first but start mocking islam and see where you end up. The priority should be to be free to mock 'anyone' afflicted by religion without fear of death.

There are many atheists who are against abortion, human rights, equality and diversity etc. Being an atheist does not sign you up to an exclusive group of people attempting to make the world a better place, it just signifies that you have no religion.

I could't care less who's religion is the worst, I do care when any of them believe it is their divine duty to blow away their opposition.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:05:34 UTC | #864067

milliee's Avatar Comment 12 by milliee

Comment 8 by hemidemisemigod :

He gives some very good Bible classes.

Thanks. It was a good laugh. I don't know much about Ricky Gervais, but I thought that his "The Invention of Lying" was pure genius. The message of the movie should have been obvious, but I don't know how many people who watched it have been able to understand it.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:26:50 UTC | #864073

jel's Avatar Comment 13 by jel

Comment 8 by hemidemisemigod He gives some very good Bible classes.

That was funny. At the end Noah builds an alter for a sacrifice. As the only animals still alive are on the ark, it seems a bit of a waste, saving all those creatures just to wipe one complete species out as soon as the waters recede.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:44:24 UTC | #864091

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 14 by Ignorant Amos

Jump to comment 13 by jel

He does better than that jel, he grows a vineyard, ferments grape juice into wine, and gets shitfaced drunk, lies about the tent stark bollock naked, then curses his son and his lineage to slavery for the audacity for seeing him with his arse in the air (or was that all he did? nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say na' more), they don't mention that bit in the kiddies book either...sick fucks.

BTW, where in the name of blazes did the Dove come a cross the fully developed Olive branch?

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:51 UTC | #864096

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 15 by aquilacane

Not sure I get the cover.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:48:51 UTC | #864102

Phen's Avatar Comment 16 by Phen

I'm a big Gervais fan myself, very funny guy. His "Animals"* show bible lesson was when my first encounter with him. Anyone know if New Humanist is available in Irish stores?

*Sorry if it's not great quality, it's not easy to find.(or maybe it is, but I just haven't looked hard enough. Either way, stop complaining dammit!)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:55:36 UTC | #864105

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 17 by Red Dog

Comment 9 by emastro :

I agree. I would also add that there is something else going on at least in the US. We spend apx. the same as the rest of the world combined on "Defense". We have bases all over the world even in places like Germany where there is no conceivable threat to us or our allies. All this is very big business, what Eisenhower called the Military Industrial Complex (MIC). There are a lot of people invested in keeping this spending going no matter what and to do that they need an official enemy. Noam Chomsky and others have shown how the US MIC was literally in a panic when the USSR unilaterally gave up the cold war and they have been looking for a new enemy ever since.

Of course 9/11 gave them that enemy: the Muslims. In the US there is a never ending stream of propaganda about how Islam wants to establish the Caliphate and make us all follow Sharia law Of course they ignore the fact that the most radical Muslims hate each other (e.g. Shia vs. Sunni) as much as they hate the west. When we focus so much energy on the crimes of Islam we are inadvertently helping the MIC in their goal to create never ending war at the expense of the planet.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:06:38 UTC | #864128

ergaster's Avatar Comment 18 by ergaster

I love most of Ricky's comedy, but the reason I admire him is that he's such an outspoken atheist and he's happy to tell anyone that he is.

Ricky was recently inteviewed for an upcoming documentary made by this man. Now, that's something to look forward to.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:26:50 UTC | #864137

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 19 by alaskansee

@ Comment 7 by Teknical

To be fair Ricky is talking about his life and his loss of religion.

I think your call for him to cover your topics of preference is just silly, also he's a comedian.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:06:00 UTC | #864150

J.KEARNS's Avatar Comment 20 by J.KEARNS

He sacrificed his moobs for you! O,O

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:32:56 UTC | #864158

drgoode's Avatar Comment 21 by drgoode

[Comment 4] [Sara12]: He debuted a similar photo back in April on The Daily Show as an "Atheist Easter Card." Ricky Gervais on The Daily Show What was most interesting to me was Jon Stewart's initial reaction. Totally shocked, almost as if he were shocked on behalf of Christians. The comment on Thor had me laughing for hours.

I love the Thor comment!

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:42:02 UTC | #864174

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 22 by Robert Howard

Comment 17 by Red Dog :

Of course 9/11 gave them that enemy: the Muslims. In the US there is a never ending stream of propaganda about how Islam wants to establish the Caliphate and make us all follow Sharia law.

I always love the reaction the release of some new poll revealing Muslims' desires to see the rest of the world become Islamified provokes from the likes of Fox News.

"Newsflash: x percent of Muslims living in America would like to see Islam become the country's official religion!!!"

Well, yeah. This is what you do if you espouse a particular faith: you try to share it with everybody else. If you're a true believer you may even wish that the entire world would come to adopt its precepts. This is why there are Christian missionaries in Africa; why Jehovah's witnesses go from door to door; why those shaven-headed guys in pajamas hang around in airports.

There's plenty about Islam that's sinister (most of it, come to think of it), but the desire to see your neighbours adopt a belief system that you've been taught, rightly or wrongly, will make the world a better place is the most natural thing there is.

I personally would love it if the whole world were atheist, but I honestly don't see that happening for a good ten to fifteen years.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:27:33 UTC | #864186

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by Stafford Gordon

The image reminds me of an experience I had.

I was playing Atheist in a Rock Musical called Pilgrim based on Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, and we were at the Round House in London, an auditorium holding about twelve hundred.

One schools matinee an actor was about twenty five minutes late, and the captive teenage audience weren't best pleased, chanting why are we waiting, and slow hand clapping etc; we listened to the decibel level rising alarmingly.

By the time the late company member arrived the teachers had more or less lost control and the audience had almost become a mob.

The show started with everyone except me performing the overture, which under the circumstances could bearly be heard as a huge cheer greeted their entrance.

As they came off I went on to deliver the first piece of dialogue, and another deafening cheer went up.

What to do?

"Bunny" was out of the question!

So, I stretched my arms out wide with palms forward, lolled my head to one side with my tongue hanging out, eyes popping and looking up to heaven, and put one foot on top of the other.

Within about five seconds I had pin drop silence in which to chuckle, laugh and then guffaw and segue quietly into the first dialogue.

A sweet moment!

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:43:55 UTC | #864189

Sensitive Outsider's Avatar Comment 24 by Sensitive Outsider

Sorry,i find Ricky Gervais a sanctimonious unfunny wanker(just my opinion)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:29:39 UTC | #864206

Pitchguest's Avatar Comment 25 by Pitchguest

Comment 3 by ZIwxBeheld

Don't take this the wrong way, but... to applaud someone about weight loss is a bit... well... a bit like applauding someone for taking their hands off of a hot stove. It's a bit pointless. Instead you should give them a boot up the arse and say 'That was stupid, wasn't it, you fat git!' Unless you have a condition that prevents you from losing weight in which case, yeaahh, that'd be kind of embarassing. Or big-boned... HA! Yeah. No. Couldn't say that with a straight face. But weight loss?? C'mon! He got there on his own! You know what I mean? I've been sober most of my life and nobody's giving me a standing ovation!

I've been trying to GAIN weight actually, but my overactive metabolism ENSURES that I'll always look skinny and redundant. What is it, is it a bird, or a plane? A leaf? No, it's ME, getting swept off my feet by a gust of wind! Anyway. I'm mostly kidding. Don't take this too seriously. ;-)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:46:51 UTC | #864214

blitz442's Avatar Comment 26 by blitz442

Comment 25 by Pitchguest

Your antidote

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:52:13 UTC | #864216

Teknical's Avatar Comment 27 by Teknical

@comment19 by alaskansee

I have not called for him to cover anything. My comment was about the right to be offended and offend others, and the possible outcome facing those who offend certain religious groups.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:20:30 UTC | #864224

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 28 by Robert Howard

Comment 24 by Sensitive Outsider

Sorry,i find Ricky Gervais a sanctimonious unfunny wanker(just my opinion)

You're not alone. I loved The Office and Extras was alright, but watching his stand-up routine is like having major dental surgery. He performed a Top 10 list he'd written himself a while back on the David Letterman show and it was excruciatingly unfunny.

Worst of all, though, is when he throws his head back and does that stupid, cackling laugh. It's so fake it's little wonder he's become such a success in Hollywood.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:50:09 UTC | #864237

Richie P's Avatar Comment 29 by Richie P

Is that really Ricky Gervais, I thought it was Robert Downey Jr for a minute. Wow, he's lot a lot of weight, I'm a touch jealous.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:57:15 UTC | #864238

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 30 by alaskansee

@ Teknical

Sorry, I confused your statement -

"However, I bet he wouldn't wrap a towel around his head and say the same thing."

Once again sorry for the confusion, when you said "bet he" I thought your were still talking about Ricky?Perhaps you'd like to let me know who you were talking about?

So to review, yes you were asking Ricky to cover your topics not his, why pray tell would "he", Ricky, talk about muslims when talking about his own loss of religions. Doesn't invalidate you following statement but it's has nothing to do with it nor is it reasonable to ask why someone's not talking about islam when they say something about christianity. (or any other crazy mystical imaginary friends)

It's the "more important issues" logical fallacy. Leave those poor little semi-harmless christians alone, look at those nasty muslims, is - as mentioned by Jumped Up Chimp as piss poor excuse.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:32:48 UTC | #864267