← Rick Perry's God

Rick Perry's God - Comments

Cheyla's Avatar Comment 1 by Cheyla

This presidential candidate is beyond scary. . .

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 02:31:59 UTC | #865399

WoollyMittens's Avatar Comment 2 by WoollyMittens

I'm actually pretty sure that if rain had occurred after the state sanctioned prayer session, the success of it would have been milked incessantly in right wing propaganda.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 02:41:49 UTC | #865402

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 3 by mjwemdee

Nice to see the Hitch has lost none of his fiery articulacy.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 02:43:09 UTC | #865403

skiles1's Avatar Comment 4 by skiles1

I never feel like our point has really been made until Christopher Hitchens has had his say.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:05:53 UTC | #865407

mmsood99's Avatar Comment 5 by mmsood99

As you probably know, Border's book store is closing its branches. Tonight we went bargain shopping and I was in the history section. Juxtaposed with titanic writings by Churchill I(a Nobel prize winner), Stephen Ambrose (National Humanities Medal) and Shelby Foote (Ingersoll-Weaver award) were scratchings by Sarah Palin, Briston Palin and Newt Gingrich. It really highlighted to me the paucity of powerful, influential and popular writings in our modern age. It seems that cheap, tawdry and soundbiteish wins over reason, substance and evidence.

Perry is the public face of this disintegration of critical thinking and ignorance of fact, evidence and reason.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:19:33 UTC | #865410

Austin K's Avatar Comment 6 by Austin K

Hitch Slapped!

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:40:58 UTC | #865416

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 7 by Neodarwinian

Either would be more than depressing as related in Hitchen's ending understatement. One would be a nutter and the other would be a liar. Or, in short, a United States politician of the modern era.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:49:49 UTC | #865418

Tony d's Avatar Comment 8 by Tony d

Better for everybody if Perry turns out to be cynically pandering to the electorate.If he really is sincere and gets elected President then poor America will really be up the creek.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:53:44 UTC | #865421

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 9 by Crazycharlie

Look at that stupid smirk. Reminds me of G.W.Bush only less simple and more sinister. This guy is worse than Sarah Palin or GWB. I wish Hitch would've tore into him more. Like Richard did in the Washington Post the other day.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:41:22 UTC | #865432

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 10 by William T. Dawkins

Maybe Governor Perry should team up with Rep.Michele Bachmann. Then they could both confer with her brother who is an excellent local TV meteorologist here in the Kansas City area.

Great article Hitch,

William

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:05:16 UTC | #865433

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 11 by All About Meme

Good to hear from Christopher Hitchens again. I sincerely hope he is getting well.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:16:14 UTC | #865437

weavehole's Avatar Comment 12 by weavehole

Comment 5 by mmsood99

I understand and empathise with your point. 18 months ago I donated TGSOE to my local library. I went back there a few days ago and noticed it still wasn't on their shelves. Maybe someone has taken it out? No, still hasnt been processed, still in the stockroom and yet their small science section is screaming out for some modern books. This was made worse by seeing some of the claptrap on 'the science of healing energies' and such that can be found there.

On the other hand I disagree with your pessimism on the current state of available writing compared to previous years. I've no doubt that the 1950s version of Borders would have been filled with just as much crap, if not more than, as today's. Over the years we filter out most of the rubbish.

It's this same logic that leads all old people to think that music was much better when they were young. Few people will remember the Palins or Rednex(es) of this world in 50 years time.

At least I hope not.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:26:30 UTC | #865440

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 13 by SoHelpMeReason

All right. Apologies from Texas, y'all. We gave you George Bush Sr., George Bush Jr., and now Rick Perry Bush, the adopted son. If he gets elected, I'm rioting in the streets for my state to secede from the union. Not because I hold the deep desire to fence myself in with world class crackpots, but because we don't need to be handing a Texan reigns on anything that can't neigh, break the rope, kick back, and give you a head concussion. Secession keeps cowboys out of office. It's become clear bad things come from the Lone Star State.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:31:35 UTC | #865442

mmsood99's Avatar Comment 14 by mmsood99

@weavehole

Comment 12 by weavehole

I hope you are right. I am a child of the 60's and still marvel at the powerful, global writings of that era. Churchill was coming to his end, but Shelby Foote was producing wonderful quality writing. My point was that quality writing was popular. Today, the mass market is dominated by the soundbite and quick fix. We have some wonderful writers on here, and I am sad they are not more widely read and respected than they already are.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:34:18 UTC | #865444

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 15 by Roland_F

Praying for rain in the US of A : maybe some native American shamanic rain dance would be helpful.

Reminds me at the official ordering to pray for rain in all dioceses in the Philippines ordered from the Catholic Bishops Conference some year back when the El Nino delayed the usual rain season. And guess what : their prayer helped ! as it started raining heavily just 3 weeks delayed to the normal rain season. Wow rain in the rain season must be a miracle based on prayers no natural explanation possible for rain in the rain season isn’t it ?!? And it was raining so heavily for several days that it caused huge flooding in some areas, and they had to pray for the end of rain.

In Australia the faithful around Sydney encountering draught and forest fires were desperately praying for rain – well and god Yahweh send them rain, lots of rain for Australia but to the north so Brisbane was severely flooded. Well ….. Yahweh is Judean fertility god, so maybe not really the expert for making rain and not too familiar with Australia either ……

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:36:25 UTC | #865445

mmsood99's Avatar Comment 16 by mmsood99

May I share my enjoyment of the scientific method?

I know when I publish in a peer-reviewed journal that my peers will be trying to find flaws in my reasoning. It isn't personal. It isn't vindictive (often :)). It is the scientific process of assertion, proof and counter-proof. One of my greatest pleasures in writing a paper is playing the role of reviewer. I ask myself "if I were reviewing this, what would I criticize?". This pushes me to be clearer and more thorough in my work.

Compare this with the theist method. Preformed faith (and usually preformed by someone else) precedes assertion and assertion excludes counter-assertion. I could derive no pleasure from that.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:40:32 UTC | #865447

weavehole's Avatar Comment 17 by weavehole

Comment 14 by mmsood99

Check out number 2 in the non-fiction list here the-1960s-what-was-america-reading I wonder if it could be argued that Palin et al are a direct result of this book. (Confession, I'd never heard of it before and definitely havent read it so I may be well off)

Plenty of diet and cook books there too amongst the Lennon and Kennedy's. There's a lot that could depress you looking at any era in human history but I think there is far more of the good stuff on offer today that is both easy to get hold of and spread around.

Still far too much popular drivel of course and some places are far worse than others. I wonder what the bestsellers are like in North Korea. All of a sudden Texas would look like a liberal dreamland... hmm maybe.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:54:26 UTC | #865453

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 18 by Stevehill

Hey, Rick Perry prayed for rain, and New York and Massachusetts got some. He just needs to work on his aim a little.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:00:47 UTC | #865460

davedotcom's Avatar Comment 19 by davedotcom

I find myself increasingly worried about the state of Republican candidates for the US Presidency. I'm sure that there's a great deal we don't see or get to hear here in the UK but what news does filter through worries me for a few reasons.

President Obama is struggling a little to say the least. The economy is apparently in ruins and there seems to be nothing but negativity coming from the States about him.

Jokers like Perry and Bachman worry me because they're so stupid yet seem popular enough to get elected! In many ways I don't care if they pray to god for rain, wealth, help to find the fork that went down the back of the sofa, but for the sake of us all, keep it out of politics you stupid god botherers!

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:49:42 UTC | #865468

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 20 by Stafford Gordon

As the English comedian Eric Morecambe used to say when his partner Ernie Wise said or did something really STUPID, "There's no answer to that!".

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:43:59 UTC | #865476

locka's Avatar Comment 21 by locka

The problem is that whether he believes the profoundly ignorant things he says or not, he is still accountable to the people who elected him on the basis of those statements. If he makes statements that evolution is "just a theory", or that global warming isn't happening, you can sure as hell expect his actions to reflect his words in the most part.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:44:37 UTC | #865477

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 22 by thebaldgit

As usual an excellent article by Christopher Hitchens which asks questions beyond the obvious regarding the dumb-shit Rick Perry. There is obviously the important question as to whether he believe the shit that he spouts or is he just saying the things that he believes will get him the Republican nomination. It would seem incredible that he would think that the dross that he spouts would actually get him elected president but who knows?

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:56:19 UTC | #865479

alf1200's Avatar Comment 23 by alf1200

I'm starting to think this country is headed for another civil war. The extreme and religious right seem to be calling for violence.

Is there any country that will take us in case the right wing religious nuts start shooting?

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:25:51 UTC | #865488

alf1200's Avatar Comment 24 by alf1200

Don't mess with Texas.

Its screwed up enough already!

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:28:19 UTC | #865489

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 25 by Stafford Gordon

I would like to suggest that the following go viral, and been thrown in the face of any nit wit who has the arrogant temerity to question Darwin's findings.

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." Theodosius Dobzhansky. Nobel Laureate Biologist.

How about a T shirt?

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:21:45 UTC | #865506

albuterol junckie's Avatar Comment 26 by albuterol junckie

As usual, Hitch's eloquence is superb. No better satirist with possibly the exception of Vonnegut. On a personal note, as an unfortunate resident of the embarrassingly stupid state of Texas I have this to say,....Uhh, sorry, Y'all. They do tend to wander off the ranch sometimes.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:53:20 UTC | #865534

mjs31's Avatar Comment 27 by mjs31

Yes that's right in a battle of religious zeal in the Republican Party the Mormon candidates had the most sane appeal. I told a friend of mine I had a new slogan for Obama. "You deserve better America! It's too bad they're not running for president."

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:04:19 UTC | #865537

achromat666's Avatar Comment 28 by achromat666

Having discovered Hitchens when a friend and fellow musician of mine gave me a copy of God is Not Great, I've tried to catch up on most things hitch pretty much ever since. While it is truly sad to not have such a powerful voice out and debating as regularly due to health his writing never suffers and as usual he makes great points from both a religious and political perspective.

A truly sharp, informed, and insightful mind.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:17:22 UTC | #865555

Phil65's Avatar Comment 29 by Phil65

Does the Texas governor believe his idiotic religious rhetoric, or is he just pandering for votes?

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:39:46 UTC | #865559

ewaldrep's Avatar Comment 30 by ewaldrep

i wonder how well a lawsuit would hold up for the gov's earlier prayers for rain ending up in the damages caused by hurricane Irene? It would be ridiculous but I sometimes think that it is good for the legal system to highlight the absurdity of prayer to influence natural causes.

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:45:11 UTC | #865562