← [UPDATE - iPad app]UK & US release info - The Magic of Reality

[UPDATE - iPad app]UK & US release info - The Magic of Reality - Comments

Tim VI's Avatar Comment 1 by Tim VI

Stunning cover!

I'll be buying this for my nephew (right after I read it first, of course!).

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:48:28 UTC | #866025

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 2 by alaskansee

Thanks Dawkins, one for the kids!

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:13:48 UTC | #866040

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 3 by Michael Austin

Is this book fully in color like the PDF that was uploaded(then removed) a few months ago, or is it like TGSOE and it has colored pages in groups around the text?

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:31:55 UTC | #866050

Notched's Avatar Comment 4 by Notched

While I have no doubts as to the informativeness and exellence of the content of his new book, I personally think the Prof should have written this under a pen name, as having his name emblazoned on the cover will likely ensure it does not get to anyone who might really benefit from reading it. Definitely, it shall be much enjoyed and appreciated by the converted audience and their offspring, but had it been written by Mr. Bob Johnson, the book could have ended up in the hands of a kid of Christian/Muslim/Zoroastrian parents, and might give them some food for thought quite different from what they had been hearing previously.

That might be a bit too underhanded and sneaky, though. After all, atheists are never happy to find religious motivations concealed in seemingly innocuous places, so it seems hypocritical to do the same to them.

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:58:22 UTC | #866068

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 5 by Michael Austin

Comment 4. I also suggested this in the last thread. It seems to be a great gift for children who read, but this has almost zero chance of getting into the hands of any fundamentalist's child.

Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:33:34 UTC | #866107

GregGorey's Avatar Comment 6 by GregGorey

preordered already. can not wait to read this with my daughter :)

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 01:27:00 UTC | #866143

Tord M's Avatar Comment 7 by Tord M

I disagree with those who have been suggesting that Richard should use a pen name:

• A book written by Richard Dawkins will get a lot more publicity, wider circulation and a bigger audience and than one written by Mr Bob Johnson.
  • People who read this book will probably be interested in seeking out more books by the same author, and that will make them discover Dawkins' other books.
  • If the book is successful people would soon what the know who was hiding behind the pseudonym, and since Richard has long been saying that he wanted to write a book for children, and described what it should be about, it wouldn't take long before Mr Johnson's real identity was known. Think about what sort of criticism that might lead to.
  • I don't think Richard should adopt the tactics of the ID movement, by sailing under false colours. I think it would be a fundamental mistake to use disguise or dishonest methods when promoting reason and science.
  • Fundamentalist would probably not let their children read the book anyway.
  • Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:46:01 UTC | #866227

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 8 by KenChimp

Comment 2 by alaskansee :

Thanks Dawkins, one for the kids!

One for kids like me! ;-}

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:02:04 UTC | #866260

clear---thinker's Avatar Comment 9 by clear---thinker

What a stunning front cover, no doubt it will live up to its expectations and beyond. Looking forward to reading it.

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:49:01 UTC | #866297

NealOKelly's Avatar Comment 10 by NealOKelly

Unfortunately, that's about 10 days too late for me to take it on holdiay to read by the pool. Bugger! Does anyone know where I can get an advance copy?

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:02:19 UTC | #866368

Wake_Up's Avatar Comment 11 by Wake_Up

A new book for my son and I to read together, thanks Dawkins!!!

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:15:05 UTC | #866376

skiles1's Avatar Comment 12 by skiles1

I'm going to order a copy soon; thanks for the link!

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:22:14 UTC | #866410

Confident Christian's Avatar Comment 13 by Confident Christian

I have to admit, this book does sound very good, and I also like the appearance of the previews; the colourful diagrams and clear concepts shall, no doubt, inspire many. I do realise that the 'Richard Dawkins' connotations may put some people off, but this is quite unnecessary - he could quite easily be thought primarily as an evolutionary biologist and scientist, and writing this book for the excellent and virtuous purposes of scientific education. As long as people are reassured about this, it should be helpful to people of many backgrounds.

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:49:50 UTC | #866416

shuckster's Avatar Comment 14 by shuckster

Why the difference in front-cover illustration?

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:54:22 UTC | #866418

ktflint's Avatar Comment 15 by ktflint

I read the extracts of Magic in Eureka (The Times). If they are representative of the whole book then we have a true classic about to emerge. As the introduction (in Eureka) states, Richard Dawkins will join Ernst Gombrich in producing a brilliant window to a huge and complex subject.

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 20:07:13 UTC | #866438

Buerggiste's Avatar Comment 16 by Buerggiste

@ Confident Christian

You gave a polite comment, good for being honest. Science is the way to know reality and if you know you have no evidence to state otherwise, for human’s sake behave like a human. RD is just doing his part as a helpful human to bring our species out of unneeded superstitions, no need to reassured anyone else, just to live in reality.

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 20:15:13 UTC | #866442

wolfhoundGrowl's Avatar Comment 17 by wolfhoundGrowl

Pre-Ordered ... and half-price too!!!

Cheers Richard & Amazon.

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:18:59 UTC | #866465

Vitalic's Avatar Comment 18 by Vitalic

Typical militant atheists trying to indoctrinate children with your dogmas about the universe, you are just as bad as religious people.

Just kidding (but i bet some agnostic accommodationists are thinking exactly that)

This book looks incredible though

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:39:49 UTC | #866490

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 19 by Robert Howard

Comment 13 by Confident Christian

I do realise that the 'Richard Dawkins' connotations may put some people off, but this is quite unnecessary..

Yeah, I know what you mean. I felt the same way the last time I went out to purchase Stephen King's latest book. I knew that I was going out to buy Stephen King's latest book, but somehow the fact that I knew it was Stephen King's latest book almost put me off buying Stephen King's latest book.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 00:01:51 UTC | #866508

Bazinga's Avatar Comment 20 by Bazinga

Comment Removed by Author

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 04:28:40 UTC | #866544

Bazinga's Avatar Comment 21 by Bazinga

I’m super exited, can’t wait! When will the book be released in South Africa?

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 04:30:55 UTC | #866545

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 22 by All About Meme

I demand equal treatment. Richard's next book must be written for us old fuddy-duddies.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 04:47:26 UTC | #866546

RDfan's Avatar Comment 23 by RDfan

Comment 22 by All About Meme:

Out of curiosity, what would it be called? Perhaps, The Magic of Impending Death? The Wrinkled Watchmaker? Hahaha; just kidding!

Incidentally, it seems that, in the UK, having a prominent "Richard Dawkins" font on the book's cover is intended to boost sales whereas in the USA "Richard Dawkins" needs to be reduced in font size to achieve the same result. Or am I imagining things?!

Anyway, I literally can't wait to get my hands on several of these books/audios! My nieces and nephews are all getting the same pressies this year, lol.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:43:51 UTC | #866554

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 24 by Daniel Williams

Pre ordered it.

It's a steal at only £10,- on amazon.co.uk

How can anyone be making any money if you slash the price by that much. The cheapest I can find it here is €22,39 that's twice as much as on Amazon.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:12:02 UTC | #866557

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 25 by Premiseless

Pre-ordered!

A bargain that's full of sense.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:15:14 UTC | #866618

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 26 by Stevezar

I am ordering this in hardcover.

I have a question for anyone who has bought Penn's latest book. I would like to get it for the Kindle, are there any photos or illustrations I would miss out on? I can't seem to find this information in any reviews.

I know Richards book has pictures, and anyway it is more kid friendly as a book than a app.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 16:28:14 UTC | #866665

Egoch's Avatar Comment 27 by Egoch

I hope it will be translated into French soon so that I can read it to my kids.

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:49:14 UTC | #866722

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 28 by Ohnhai

Is there a Kindle/iBooks/app version in the works?

Sat, 03 Sep 2011 11:06:23 UTC | #866835

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 29 by Functional Atheist

Jealousy isn't a very attractive quality, but I much prefer the UK edition's cover.

The lonely figure on a peak, gazing at the twilight sky, is reminiscent of something from the New Age section. I suppose the marketing geniuses at the American publisher insisted on it, but I find the image to be a tiresome cliche.

Still, no one has gone broke underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American public, or so goes another cliche, but one would like to think that buyers of Dawkins books would be an exception to that rule.

Cliches are like weeds--one spawns another which spawns another--because I just heard some wiseguy chime "You shouldn't judge a book by the cover!" Which in this case is very likely true. But I'm still jealous of you Brits, with your nifty book covers, and universal health care, and intelligent-sounding accents.

Sat, 03 Sep 2011 13:10:43 UTC | #866869

Reasonable Ape's Avatar Comment 30 by Reasonable Ape

I know I should not judge a book by its cover, but this cover is just amazing, and I'm sure the content is even more so!

Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:19:37 UTC | #867182