← Free Kindle edition of evolution book

Free Kindle edition of evolution book - Comments

mjs31's Avatar Comment 1 by mjs31

Free, well in that case.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:33:15 UTC | #867647

mjs31's Avatar Comment 2 by mjs31

Woah, I saved 69.99, that's a good deal.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:34:25 UTC | #867648

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 3 by Chris Boccia

Just got mine. thanks.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:46:17 UTC | #867655

vega's Avatar Comment 4 by vega

Warning - download contains viruses... :)

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:47:28 UTC | #867656

Moderator's Avatar Comment 5 by Moderator

Comment Removed by Author

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:49:03 UTC | #867657

/Mike's Avatar Comment 6 by /Mike

I didn't get a virus warning on my download. I'm using Virus Barrier X6 on a Mac running 10.6.8

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:53:37 UTC | #867659

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 7 by Chris Boccia

Comment Removed by Author

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:01:27 UTC | #867663

vega's Avatar Comment 8 by vega

/Mike - joke...

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:02:38 UTC | #867664

some asshole's Avatar Comment 9 by some asshole

^ Stupid joke. Not just unfunny, but truly stupid.

The rdfrs Twitter post was essentially bait-and-switch. It says:

Free Kindle edition of evolution book - Jerry Coyne - Why Evolution Is True - RichardDawkins.net http://bit.ly/qYd24p

This led me to believe--understandably, I presume--that Why Evolution Is True was the book being made available for free on Kindle.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:13:06 UTC | #867669

OldGreyBob's Avatar Comment 10 by OldGreyBob

That was slick. 1 click to Amazon.com. 2 clicks to get the book and click refresh on my iPod 2 Kindle app. There it is. Thanks for informing me about the free book.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:43:50 UTC | #867679

mjs31's Avatar Comment 11 by mjs31

Comment 9 by some asshole

Why Evolution is True is the name of Coyne's blog, it's referenced that way every single time an article is referenced from it on this website from what I've observed, the blog is the source for where the information about the free book came from. There's nothing deceptive in this.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:49:21 UTC | #867683

lazarus's Avatar Comment 12 by lazarus

Only seems to be available in the US. My Kindle account is registered in the UK and I'm directed there when I try to buy for $0.00 only to find it will cost me £26.43.

Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:59:59 UTC | #867686

mjs31's Avatar Comment 13 by mjs31

Comment 12 by lazarus

What's that you say? Invest in foreign currency, good idea.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:18:47 UTC | #867690

/Mike's Avatar Comment 14 by /Mike

@vega :-) ( I guess I'm just paranoid)

I'd downloaded to see if it was still available. I saw on Jerry Coyne's blog that some people had trouble with it being really free and wanted to check before I posted.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:20:20 UTC | #867692

Michael Fisher's Avatar Comment 15 by Michael Fisher

What to do if you're Amazon accnt is not US:

** On the Amazon page click ‘Your Account’ [top right]

** Scroll down to the ‘Settings’ section & click on ’1-Click Settings’ & you’ll be taken to the ‘Manage Addresses and 1-Click Settings’ page [you may be asked to give your name/password to get to here, but that's OK ~ do as you're asked]

** Find yourself a US address & phone number by googling say a shoe shop & use their details [but change the unit number & phone number slightly]

** Change your address details & you will be redirected to Amazon.com

** In the Amazon search boxes at the top select ‘Kindle Store’ to the left & put “The Logic of Chance” in the right box & click ‘Go’

** Select the correct result. Check that the page reads “Kindle Price: $0.00 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet. You Save: $69.99 (100%)”

** There’s a yellow ‘Buy now with 1-Click’ button to the top right. Underneath is a drop down menu. Select ‘Transfer via computer’ from the drop down & click the yellow button

** You’ll go to a download page & a dialog box pops up ~ select ‘Save File’ & ‘OK’ & the file is downloaded to your computer

** transfer to your Kindle via USB [or read on your PC with the free Kindle app for PC]

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:33:20 UTC | #867695

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 16 by Red Dog

Comment 15 by Michael Fisher :

What to do if you're Amazon accnt is not US:

** On the Amazon page click ‘Your Account’ [top right]

** Change your address details & you will be redirected to Amazon.com

Have you tried this from a computer outside the US? I ask because its possible to tell that an IP address is coming from outside the US despite what you might enter for your snail mail address. Also, I downloaded this book but I'm not that sure its worth the trouble. Note that the summary says: "...The book examines a broad range of topics in evolutionary biology including the inadequacy of natural selection and adaptation as the only or even the main mode of evolution;..." also, the title of the Preface is "Toward a Postmodern Synthesis of Evolutionary Biology"

This smells very wu to me. But I haven't had a chance to actually read it yet so I could be wrong.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:45:24 UTC | #867697

Michael Fisher's Avatar Comment 17 by Michael Fisher

Comment 16 by Red Dog :

Yes I've did it an hour ago ~ no problem Amazon does not care about the locale of the IP address ~ only your account address. After all you can buy from Amazon on any computer when you're away from home say The Amazon $0.00 invoice was sent to my Yahoo.co.uk email inbox so they don't care about that either

I haven't 'opened' the book yet, but if it's woo that will be interesting anyway ~ find out what 'they' are saying

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 01:16:16 UTC | #867709

weavehole's Avatar Comment 18 by weavehole

Was supposed to have left my house an hour ago but instead have downloaded kindle iphone app and changed my address. Am now a few doors away from an Alabama designer show store. Nice work Michael Fisher. :)

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 01:27:03 UTC | #867714

weavehole's Avatar Comment 19 by weavehole

Shoe*

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:05:37 UTC | #867730

Michael Fisher's Avatar Comment 20 by Michael Fisher

Comment 18 by weavehole :

ty :)

I wonder how long before we can download stuff such as those designer shoes ? Or rather the data for stuff. I note that we can already do 3D printing at home in a limited range of materials. Steak'n'chips cooked, hot & ready to eat by 2025 is my guess. The wealthy could be fed by a different top chef every day of the year.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:06:42 UTC | #867733

JuJu's Avatar Comment 21 by JuJu

Has anybody vetted this book? Something smells a little fishy. The inadequacy of natural selection and adaption stuff along with the postmodernist talk seems strange.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:12:38 UTC | #867735

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 22 by Premiseless

The link comes up $42.86 so???

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 02:43:58 UTC | #867746

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 23 by Premiseless

Peculiar really because , after going to the 'free kindle downloads' section, on which this book is listed (if you can locate it amidst the thousands claimed) it suggests zero dollar but the link goes to a chargeable item. Strange? One wonders if such books do have special promotions due various geographical locations which then appear on the list (though not accessible by everyone which you only find out on selection).

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 03:03:37 UTC | #867756

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 24 by Stafford Gordon

I'm not sure I'll be able to get through it - I struggled with "The Extended Phenotype" - but, I'll give it a go!

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 07:23:32 UTC | #867780

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 25 by Richard Dawkins

I think the free offer has closed (Sept 6th, 8.15 am British time). Can anyone deny this or confirm it? Even after following Michael Fisher’s instructions above, and logging in from an American address, I see the price as $42.86.

Richard

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 07:47:03 UTC | #867785

NickD's Avatar Comment 26 by NickD

Not free here in Berkshire - $42.86

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 08:00:49 UTC | #867788

paulobg's Avatar Comment 27 by paulobg

I just got it for free at 09:19 local time for Portugal (GMT with DST).

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 08:19:54 UTC | #867792

GBile's Avatar Comment 28 by GBile

I downloaded the book from amazon usa at about 10:57 from the Netherlands. No problem and $0.00.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:28:05 UTC | #867809

weavehole's Avatar Comment 29 by weavehole

Comment 20 by Michael Fisher

I'm tearing my metaphorical hair out trying to pack a rucksack for travelling around SE Asia, and was just thinking how nice a tardis bag or at least some kind of communal teleportation device would be. Maybe, like a quantumly entangled Argos or library

Your idea is probably better though.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:01:09 UTC | #867821

mjs31's Avatar Comment 30 by mjs31

Still says free in the U.S.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:43:19 UTC | #867886