← Amoebae Get Organized

Amoebae Get Organized - Comments

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 1 by Premiseless

The link only brings up an image!

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 17:26:25 UTC | #868322

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 2 by Mr DArcy

Yes! An Image that looks a bit like a holy Madonna!

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 17:49:56 UTC | #868327

jsweet's Avatar Comment 3 by jsweet

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:05:31 UTC | #868332

PERSON's Avatar Comment 4 by PERSON

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:25:03 UTC | #868339

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 5 by hemidemisemigod

Astonishing!

Here are a couple of videos from You Tube that show these single-celled chaps in action. I've no idea what kind of cell-cell communication is going on but maybe it's like this:

1st amoeba: "SLUG party!"

Other amoebae: "Slug slug slug slug..."

1) Dictyostelium aggregation

2) Altruistic, self-sacrificing amoebae

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:00:52 UTC | #868348

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 6 by Neodarwinian

Looks like a desmosome, adheren, or what is commonly called an anchoring junction.

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:21:42 UTC | #868367

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 7 by Sjoerd Westenborg

What's the advantage of a polarized epithelial cell vs. random placement of Golgi, proteins etc. within a amoeba?

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:16:56 UTC | #868375

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 8 by Sjoerd Westenborg

It's not the most beautiful sentence but you catch my drift.

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:25:36 UTC | #868376

Slugsie's Avatar Comment 9 by Slugsie

Hallelujah, I'm a converted man.

Hallelujah.

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 08:17:56 UTC | #868504

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 10 by DavidMcC

Comment 7 by Sjoerd Westenborg :

I guess it's because, at the tip of the fruiting body, the relative positions of nearest neighbour cells aren't random.

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 08:58:38 UTC | #868513

ridelo's Avatar Comment 11 by ridelo

Comment 9 by Slugsie :

Hallelujah, I'm a converted man.

Hallelujah.

For me it looked more as a mimicry for a king cobra.

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:58:17 UTC | #868608

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 12 by DavidMcC

Comment 9 by Slugsie :

As I was scrolling down through my RSS feeds I randomly scrolled to show half of that image. I swear I saw the Blessed Virgin Mary. Hallelujah, I'm a converted man.

Then I saw the rest of the image, found out it was an amoeba, and deconverted. I'm now a born again atheist. Hallelujah.

Is this the fastest ever rate of conversion and de-conversion? I'd contact the Guiness bookm of records if I were you!

I see what you mean, though. :)

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:25:44 UTC | #868809

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 13 by Alan4discussion

Dictyostelium discoideum is a social amoeba: a single-celled organism that can group together to form a multicellular slug. Although it has mostly been used as an experimental model for studying chemotaxis, cell-cell communication, and the evolution of sociality, some researchers are using it as a window into how multicellular life could have evolved.

So like sponges, - another example of bridging the gap between single and multicellular life forms.

Intriguingly, this layer of cells was polarized, arranging its Golgi, centrosomes, and proteins at either the top or the bottom of the cell—the first instance of polarized epithelial cells reported in Dictyostelium.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:10:57 UTC | #868849

Roland_F's Avatar Comment 14 by Roland_F

Wow : Holy Mary mother of god created Amoebae Dictyostelium discoideum in her own image !

Hurry and tell Francis Collins : he might kneel down and pray to the amoebae group assembling into a slug like Madonna -- after F.C. finished praying to a frozen 3 level waterfall as incarnation of the Holy Trinity of course .....

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:45:25 UTC | #869256