← Pope accused of crimes against humanity by victims of sex abuse

Pope accused of crimes against humanity by victims of sex abuse - Comments

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 1 by sunbeamforjeebus

Lets hope they can make his one stick,although I doubt they will.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:25:57 UTC | #870330

Tintern's Avatar Comment 2 by Tintern

Any chance of an international arrest warrant being issued?

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:26:13 UTC | #870331

epeeist's Avatar Comment 3 by epeeist

Ooh, I see that article isn't open for comments. Otherwise the more ultramontane Catholics who post on the site would be down on it claiming that "it was nothing to do with the current or previous popes" and that "it was just knee-jerk anti-Catholicism" and "there is no organisation in the world that provides better child protection than the church" or the classic "how many scout masters and teachers abuse children?" (tu quoque much?).

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:28:32 UTC | #870332

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 4 by SaganTheCat

at last a chance for the pope to finally have his day in court to prove his innocence and put a stop to this persicution once and for all

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:32:19 UTC | #870333

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 5 by Stevehill

the Centre for Constitutional Rights (CCR), a US-based organisation that represents the claimants.

I don't disagree with the complaint. I do however think there would be a certain amount of justice if the ICC were to say that it will entertain complaints from the US only if and when the US recognises the court.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:33:00 UTC | #870334

Egon Voolavon's Avatar Comment 6 by Egon Voolavon

Only cultural conditioning could make otherwise good people revere the face of child torture and rape. To then parade ratzinger about this planet in a bullet proof port-a-loo like some trophy, is truly sickening. What a history the institution he heads has, since it's creation (man made) has there ever been a generation that has not witnessed it's crimes against humanity. I think not.

All the Best.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:42:51 UTC | #870337

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 7 by Peter Grant

Good, looks like it's finally happening. Soon as everything is legal, I say we send in the A-Team :D

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:47:22 UTC | #870340

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 8 by Marc Country

the Centre for Constitutional Rights (CCR), a US-based organisation

that represents the claimants.

The US government may not recognize the court, but the CCR is not affiliated with the US govt. Why would denial of their complaints be any sort of "justice"?

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:51:14 UTC | #870342

Jay G's Avatar Comment 9 by Jay G

I wish them success, but I doubt this case will amount to much. How about adding a count to this complaint for the church having endorsed a strict prohibition against abortion?

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:58:27 UTC | #870346

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 10 by Sjoerd Westenborg

@ Stevehill

Isn't the ICC meant to be above such things? If I don't recognise a court I'll still be convicted when committing a crime within it's jurisdiction. Besides that, I believe (call me naive) that an international court is less biased than the Supreme Court of a 'Christian Nation', taking in account we're talking about the frickin pope here.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:58:55 UTC | #870347

Harps's Avatar Comment 11 by Harps

This isn't make a jot of difference to these slippery bastards. Call me a pessimist, but does anyone really think justice will ever be served to the RCC? Systematic rape and torture of children is completely acceptable to these oozing, boiling, puss filled flesh wounds! Only a matter of time before someone decides that systematic assassination of the clergy would be a good idea. Not me! I'm far too lazy and lack the organisational skills :) I know it's wrong to revel in the thought of another humans demise.............but I do........so there we are!

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:04:34 UTC | #870349

DaveUK9xx's Avatar Comment 12 by DaveUK9xx

While there are only 10 comments on this can anyone help? Once the comments on a thread span more than one page I can't access anything other than the first page. I can click on page 2 etc but it always reloads page 1. Maybe it's some arcane setting in Firefox but I have no trouble with any other website.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:06:58 UTC | #870350

CarolineMary's Avatar Comment 13 by CarolineMary

I use firefox at home and I don't have any trouble

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:11:28 UTC | #870353

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 14 by alaskansee

I've said it before time after time...

How can anyone still support these criminals? How can a decent thinking caring person go to church, send their kids to church, send their kids to catholic school, etc.

What little regard they have for their fellow catholics that they can stand by and accept the status quo because it couldn't happen to them, what contemptible thoughtless brainwashed idiots.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:52:15 UTC | #870365

andreasdhl's Avatar Comment 15 by andreasdhl

good news indeed.
its not going to send ratzinger to jail ofcourse but itll draw attention to the criminal malpractice of this organisation. cant wait to hear the case for the plaintiff, theres bound to be a couple of doozies.

all the best

andreas

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:59:02 UTC | #870369

DaveUK9xx's Avatar Comment 16 by DaveUK9xx

Yippee! I just upgraded to the latest version of Firefox and now it all works properly. I can see additional comment pages and I can use the quote facility when replying to others comments.

What amazed me was when I googled for an answer a few minutes after posting my question and Google had already archived my own post. Damn these interwebs are fast nowadays.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:06:03 UTC | #870373

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 17 by Vorlund

A number of high profile ICC cases involve international criminals who are fugitives. He can be tried in his absence, found guilty and a warrant issued for his arrest along with the other arseholes. That will effectively confine him to his pisspot forbidden city. No more travelling the globe in his bullet proof fume cupboard squandering other peoples money.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:17:07 UTC | #870376

achromat666's Avatar Comment 18 by achromat666

Daniel Clear,

From the article:

According to the document filed by CCR, the pope, as head of the Catholic church, is ultimately responsible for the sexual abuse of children by priests and for the cover-ups of that abuse. The group argues that he and others have "direct and superior responsibility" for the crimes of those ranked below them, similar to a military chain of command.

What are you saying he's innocent of? That he somehow doesn't know this is happening, or that it didn't happen at all?

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:18:08 UTC | #870378

scotsman2010's Avatar Comment 19 by scotsman2010

Is there a greater irony around just now than the RCC trying to tell others how to live their own lives?

Look at the bigoted drivel they came up with in Scotland yesterday, on gay marriage.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:32:00 UTC | #870382

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 20 by Steven Mading

Comment 5 by Stevehill :

Here's a free clue: The CCR is not a government organization. It is a private group that does not answer to the US Government. It also has made cases against the US government itself in US court, so it's not exactly a group that tows the official line and is in agreement with the US government.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:36:02 UTC | #870384

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 21 by Steven Mading

Comment 12 by DaveUK9xx :

That used to happen to me on this site but it stopped happening after I upgraded to firefox 3.0 and it never happened again after that with future upgrades. Whatever it was it was browser-dependant.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:38:50 UTC | #870387

Linda Ward's Avatar Comment 22 by Linda Ward

Gosh this is exciting news. Will there ever be a Vatican Spring in which the citizens rise up and take a stand for democracy? I can see buying a central Rome condo within the Vatican fortress and don't really need to perpetuate the gated community.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:37:27 UTC | #870410

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 23 by strangebrew

If it sticks....depending on the integrity of the court and not some wishy washy rights of religion malarkey they might try to weasel out of ruling...and hopefully bypassing the catholics in the judiciary..then the affect will be devastating and will bring ratty and possibly the RCC crashing down and not a sky daddy in sight!...but methinks there will be to many catholic desks between here and the court date for this to pass over with approval stamps!...but is would be a result...imagine ratty in the dock!...pure justice!

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:40:18 UTC | #870412

ShifttoRisk's Avatar Comment 24 by ShifttoRisk

Here is another article on the topic. This one is vicious. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-catholic-churchs-secret-sex-crime-files-20110906

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:59:53 UTC | #870418

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 25 by Mr DArcy

***WANTED! PREFERABLY ALIVE!

HOLY JOE & GANG!

NOTORIOUS OUTLAWS, LAST SEEN ESCAPING ROME ON DONKEYS!

FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND & IAN PAISLEY OFFER $1,000,000 REWARD!***

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:01:44 UTC | #870419

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 26 by prettygoodformonkeys

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:23:32 UTC | #870432

kennym's Avatar Comment 27 by kennym

Any other organisation would have been investigated and tried many years ago under the rico act in the US,To many catlics in powerful positions for ratty and co to stand trail.Bulletproof glass on pope mobile!thats faith for ya.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:29:21 UTC | #870436

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 28 by Stevehill

MarcCountry

Because the US will under present circumstances never, ever, in a million zillion years surrender to the ICC anybody who is a US citizen.

Whether or not they are guilty of torture, prisoner abuse, extraordinary rendition, or ordering any of the above (however elevated their rank), in clear contravention of international law.

You cannot credibly as a matter of international law let your own citizens benefit from an international court that you refuse to also let your own citizens be judged by. A man must come to a court of equity with clean hands.

Whatever you think of the Pope, as a matter of justice this case is bound to fail. Which is a pity.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:10:10 UTC | #870450

wisnoskij's Avatar Comment 29 by wisnoskij

It would be pretty awesome even just to see the Pope in court, let alone be judged guilty or punished for it. Will have to wait and see, but I doubt that even if they request his presence at a court to decide his guilt that he would show up.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:15:08 UTC | #870454

A. R's Avatar Comment 30 by A. R

Could this mean that the Pope would essentially be trapped in the Vatican? If an International Arrest Warrant were issued, I assume that the Vatican wouldn't extradite, so Ratzinger would simply be trapped in the Vatican, and other non-Extradition or devoutly Catholic countries. This could mean that the next itme the Pope visits the UK, he would be arrested!

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:20:21 UTC | #870457