← Proton-based transistor could let machines communicate with living things

Proton-based transistor could let machines communicate with living things - Comments

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 1 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:15:36 UTC | #873592

achromat666's Avatar Comment 2 by achromat666

Comment 1:

What?

I thought this was an article on a process with machines commincating directly with living organisms, and the resulting possible practical applications.

What are you reading that infers sinful commitments?

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:30:26 UTC | #873600

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 3 by prettygoodformonkeys

badeepbadeepbadeep Say what again? Oh...from your website:

Fancying about and flirting around material world sharply contrast to finding out and fitting into our real destiny

..never mind.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:31:34 UTC | #873602

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 4 by KenChimp

Comment 1 by [Edited by moderator to remove quote of deleted post]

Huh?

Any technology can be used for purposes most would consider "good" or for purposes most would consider "evil". Technology itself is not "good" or "evil". It is all in how we use it and why we do so.

What do you mean when you say sinful commitments?

In my opinion, this represents a classic example of how human beings overcome all obstacles in their quest to explore and change their world in accordance with their own "will".

That, my friend, is the only magic there is or ever need be. Regardless of whether you envision a future with giant death robots controlled by individual human thought through electromagnetic transceivers, or human beings controlled like slave drones by other human beings (or machines) through the same, or whether you envision cybernetic prosthetics allowing physically crippled people to move in ways their disability prevents today, and allowing all humans, crippled or uncrippled alike, to move in ways we can only imagine doing today, such as running at 100 km per hour, or being able to reach a third story balcony with a single, standing high jump. Or perhaps prosthetics which replace the crude "companion" prosthetics we have today such as artificial heart pace makers, or kidney dialysis machines. Imagine those with chronic renal failure who no longer have to struggle with dialysis treatments, but who have artificial kidneys controlled by their own bodies through the same natural communication means the body uses with its natural kidneys. All of this made possible by such cybernetic technology as these transistors.

There is nothing inherently sinister here. But human beings are more than capable of being their own demons.....or angels. Those are the only angels and demons that exist......at least on this planet. Who knows what bizarre and perhaps sinister or benevolent (if only in initial human perception) life forms there are elsewhere?

By the way, I wasn't "born into sin". I'm not Semitic, and therefore not a descendant of the "Biblical" Adam and Eve. I'm descended from the "Other" people who existed in Europe already at the time discussed in "Genesis" as the beginning of humanity in 4004 BCE.

;-P

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:59:04 UTC | #873618

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 5 by nancynancy

It's exciting to read about these kinds of breakthroughs. A device like the one being proposed could one day revolutionize the treatment for many medical conditions.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:33:21 UTC | #873629

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 6 by DamnDirtyApe

I forsee this technology leading to Aron Ralston being the real life equivelent of Ash from Evil Dead.

Groovy.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:20:56 UTC | #873654

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 7 by Sjoerd Westenborg

Now I'm really curious about comment 1, but I assume the moderators had a good reason to delete it. Could any of those (un)lucky enough to have seen it reproduce it in non-offensive terms? It's always good to know what ingenious arguments are being brought forth by theists :P

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:39:47 UTC | #873730

Moderator's Avatar Comment 8 by Moderator

Comment 7 by Sjoerd Westenborg

It wasn't offensive. It was merely a link to screeds of off-topic woo.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:47:14 UTC | #873733

Quine's Avatar Comment 9 by Quine

Interesting technological development. I could be wrong, but it does not seem to be a "breakthrough" to me because it does not enable something that cannot be done, otherwise. I am looking forward to direct nanotube wiring to the internal workings of cells.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:21:46 UTC | #873744

hypnoticbob's Avatar Comment 10 by hypnoticbob

Comment 4 by KenChimp :

Comment 1 by [Edited by moderator to remove quote of deleted post]

Huh?

What do you mean when you say sinful commitments?

;-P

This article, and those like it, remind me of the recently released Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This computer game has a very well thought out story line that ought to be made into film, or even better, extended to book form to explore more ideas (albeit, the game has a lot of text and dialogue). Since "Comment 1" has effectively been removed, I can only assume what the contents were, but based on the responses thus far, it's probably quasi-religious or purely religious babble about things which the author's "holy" books mention only via metaphorical (clearly not literal) allusion. In any event, how much should science be given blame for what 'evil-good' doers, or just evil doers in general, create or use technology for? In the pursuit of knowledge, knowledge that has improved life more than it has harmed it (asserted without being able to appropriately quantify this at this given moment), there will be those who abuse that knowledge. This seems an obvious assertion backed up by simple observations over time. I know of no real way to circumvent or defend against this, nor do I know of a perfect way to defend against the mistaken use of information which leads to harm; that is, the misuse of information due to misinterpretation or lack of sufficiency of information to make a 'better' educated decision. This of course, must take into consideration ethical forms of science, of course. However, considering our scientific ethics have changed over time, perhaps this arena needs to be addressed?

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:55:27 UTC | #873764

Scoundrel's Avatar Comment 11 by Scoundrel

We've found a witch, may we burn her?

Its really strange how some Luddites have to be so out of stop with tech, I wonder when the catholic church will decide that god actually doesn't mind condoms and abortion(well god is the worlds most prolific abortionist)- give it a few centuries for them to receive a "revelation".

Honestly i would love to have some of these devices inside of me if they were discreet would be nice to be able to connect with technology more, the possibilities are quite awesome when you think about it. Then of course there is the obligatory military applications but really isn't that just something that's bound to happen anyway?

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:17:26 UTC | #873770

iamscoutstfu's Avatar Comment 12 by iamscoutstfu

Honestly Kenchimp I think by the time we've developed the materials and procedures to do all those thoings we'll be well into stem cell therapy. But you brought me some food for thought. I honestly wonder if, offered synthetic replacements for my limbs that are super strong or fast or durable etc. etc. Would I not willingly trade in my organic parts? Upgrade myself to a cyborg? I suppose it would depend on the level of mantenance required for the prosthetics but I imagine with synthetic muscles and skin made of carbon nano-tubes, bones of high density light weight ceramic compounds and frictionless liquid joints I imagine those prosthetics would last much longer than my dumpy, natural limbs. However there's also the affect these will have on the body, their susceptibility to electromagnetic interference/radiation power supply etc. All the same I think I'd be on board if viable solutions were found for these problems...I'm gonna go lay Deus ex for a while haha.

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 03:32:27 UTC | #873817

Quine's Avatar Comment 13 by Quine

We are defined by our limitations; removing those redefines us. It's like the line within which young children must lean to color. However, it is the nature of human intelligence to find ways to move those lines or even color outside them. Sometimes the pictures will be monsters. It is what it is, and we have to deal with it. Best to think ahead.

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 04:07:10 UTC | #873819

smitemeifudare's Avatar Comment 14 by smitemeifudare

I look forward to the day when my tired arthritic body can be dumped, and my conciousness and memories uploaded into a super efficient self repairing prosthetic body,with a thousand year guarantee.

Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:10:49 UTC | #878883