← Ala. town's criminals get choice: Jail or church

Ala. town's criminals get choice: Jail or church - Comments

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 1 by Stevehill

We've done this to death before. Somebody please tell the judge that it's unconstitutional, and has been so ruled by far higher courts than his own.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:45:23 UTC | #874537

7StringJerry's Avatar Comment 2 by 7StringJerry

(sigh)

All I can manage right now. I feel like I'm drowning in stupid today.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:56:13 UTC | #874539

Jay G's Avatar Comment 3 by Jay G

Outrageous!!! This "judge" ought to be removed immediately.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:56:40 UTC | #874540

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 4 by aquilacane

The relationship between the court, an institution devoted to evidence, and religion, an institution devoted to denying evidence, is all the proof I need to accept my disrespect of the legal system as justified.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:57:21 UTC | #874541

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 5 by Atheist Mike

Church or prison? Tough choice to make. In both cases you've got almost equal chances of getting molested.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:01:22 UTC | #874546

OneChess's Avatar Comment 6 by OneChess

It is unconstitutional and will be found to be so....but I love the admission that jail and church are pretty much the same!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:09:20 UTC | #874549

Blackaddera's Avatar Comment 7 by Blackaddera

I sincerely hope that someone will sue this judge for this is truely a violation of the constitution of the US.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:13:26 UTC | #874550

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 8 by Jos Gibbons

Let's see the people responsible say on TV, with a straight face, this isn't church-state entanglement, as they always do. On arguably an even more important topic ... these people can still offend while they're doing this program!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:20:59 UTC | #874553

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 9 by Neodarwinian

Well, the honor of Alabama has been self besmirched again! Nothing new there, but you think they would learn something sometimes.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:21:47 UTC | #874554

The Darwinian's Avatar Comment 10 by The Darwinian

It raises the question: where does our moral sense come from? There may well be some moral lessons in this church offenders have to go to that may rub off to the offender's benefit but why a church? Where is the evidence ? Behind all this laughable stuff there is a more insidious force at work. Michele Goldberg explains it well in her very well researched book 'Kingdom Coming'. The political class in cahoots with the Christian nationalist movement etc.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:22:16 UTC | #874555

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 11 by Chris Boccia

The link doesn't work.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:28:53 UTC | #874559

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 12 by BanJoIvie

Oooops...broken link.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:38:06 UTC | #874562

Jodi de Z's Avatar Comment 13 by Jodi de Z

Comment 6 by OneChess :

Great comment, OneChess.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:43:56 UTC | #874564

wisnoskij's Avatar Comment 14 by wisnoskij

So is there the choice of a Atheistic church?

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:45:46 UTC | #874565

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 15 by Mr DArcy

Real prison is a material shackling of the human being, which ends with the sentence. Church, or the religion it promotes is a mental shackling which can be lifelong. For all that I, personally, would rather attend church for a year than go in the nick! I doubt the preachers would have much effect on me, and at least I could sleep in my own bed! Did the judge make any stipulation about HAVING to believe?

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:48:17 UTC | #874567

ridelo's Avatar Comment 16 by ridelo

From my 7 till my 18 I was obliged to go to mass practically every day. What a criminal I must have been!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:49:56 UTC | #874568

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 17 by Sean_W

Long term rehabilitation for misdemeanors? Like what, possession of marijuana?

There should not be such a discrepancy between what the elite know to be true and what men with guns 'n badges suppose is true. -long term rehab for misdemeanors- lol

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:51:16 UTC | #874569

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 18 by SheerReason

When you hear a politician in the United States speak of "States' Rights", this is the sort of direction they want things to take. They have no regard for the separation of Church and State. I as an American was forced under penalty to recite the pledge of allegiance every morning at school in which the words "Under God" appear ( added in 1954 ) throughout my education in public schools.

This is a very complex subject relating to many issues including disregard for the personal religious rights of individuals such as stated in the article in which apparently offenders were forced to consider attending Church every Sunday for a year regardless of their particular beliefs.

The far right is a very strange breed indeed. These are the people who claimed that Obama's healthcare plan would set up "Death Panels" to decide who lives and dies. These are also the same people who apparently cheered the idea of letting people die without insurance coverage at a recent rally during a speech by Ron Paul. These are the people who think that states like Texas haven't gone far enough in their zeal to see the Death Penalty used even in cases where there appears to be doubt to the person's guilt or in cases in which the person was denied proper representation due to their economic background.

The new "Far Right" scares the hell out of me and should scare everyone else as well.

We should issue a fatwa of sorts that these people all be slapped silly by the noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:06:51 UTC | #874577

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 19 by Chris Roberts

I'd chose jail.

But what if you're a Jew? Can you go on Saturdays?

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:07:19 UTC | #874578

/Mike's Avatar Comment 20 by /Mike

Link updated

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:14:13 UTC | #874584

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 21 by The Truth, the light

What's the going rate for jail versus church? If I had the choice of 2 weeks in jail versus 1 year of Church on Sundays, it's a no brainer for me to choose jail.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:22:12 UTC | #874590

Metamag's Avatar Comment 22 by Metamag

Wow, so some states in US are officially theocratic now...

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:35:08 UTC | #874594

Chris Langstaff's Avatar Comment 23 by Chris Langstaff

This is an article from the Onion right? No? Oh, it's in Alabama.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:51:01 UTC | #874599

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 24 by Nunbeliever

I would choose jail anytime. Church EVERY Sunday for a whole fucking year. That has to be a clear case of cruel and unusual punishment ;-)

No, seriously! This is fucked up! What the heck is wrong with USA!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:10:54 UTC | #874603

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 25 by cornbread_r2

What if the offender was already a church goer?

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:14:31 UTC | #874606

Rikitiki13's Avatar Comment 26 by Rikitiki13

Well, for me, I'd choose the year-of-church. 'cause I'm imagining the sentence wouldn't say anything about what I'd have to DO at my church attendence -- yep, I'd wear an atheist T-shirt, the louder the better, and sit smack dab in the front row...never kneel or stand, or sing or mouth any mumbo-jumbo: just sit there through the whole service and creep out all the folks. They'd be glad to be rid of me after a year, oh yeah!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:26:13 UTC | #874610

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 27 by Rodger T

Nice, the choice of getting locked up physically or locked up mentally.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:23:49 UTC | #874618

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 28 by Nunbeliever

To cornbread_r2:

What if the offender was already a church goer?

Hello??? Church goers don't commit crimes, do they! ;-)

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:26:06 UTC | #874620

ShesTheBeth's Avatar Comment 29 by ShesTheBeth

Comment 25 by cornbread_r2

What if the offender was already a church goer?

The chances that a perpetrator in Alabama is Christian and attends church regularly? EXTREMELY likely!

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:29:29 UTC | #874622

ShesTheBeth's Avatar Comment 30 by ShesTheBeth

Comment 26 by Rikitiki13

I was thinking the same thing. So long as the judge didn't stipulate otherwise, what an awesome opportunity to turn the recruiting toward the Christians on their own turf, and ask all kinds of questions that they don't like to answer about jebus, AND possibly get national news coverage to boot. Of course, doing this in Alabama you run the risk of a Christian blowing your head off. I wonder how many Sundays of church the judge would consider as sufficient penalty for that?

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:38:02 UTC | #874624