← Creationist Rick Perry wins endorsement from fellow creationist Governor

Creationist Rick Perry wins endorsement from fellow creationist Governor - Comments

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 1 by Chris Roberts

Just when you thought Bush was bad, and Palin was as bad as it could get......

The world would become a very scary place overnight with Perry in the Whitehouse.

I wonder how he would get on with Nick Clegg? Bet they could have some interesting policy discussions!

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:28:35 UTC | #875102

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 2 by JHJEFFERY

He made a C in U.S. History and a D in economics? Are you serious?

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:43:07 UTC | #875107

Jordan Wilson's Avatar Comment 3 by Jordan Wilson

This is disheartening. Although I am from the UK, I'm really worried about the US. However, what with the growing Islamic presence, we're in no position to be at ease either.

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:52:55 UTC | #875110

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 4 by Sean_W

They aren't going to govern for the handful--if that many--of extra children that may go onto jobs in cutting edge fields as a result of alienating their base of creationists. As it stands, children that go through the Texas school system already get good jobs in such fields. They must necessarily be a small number, and that will probably always be the case. Besides, who's going to believe that having a nuanced understanding of evolution or any other science is going to be conducive to a happy life working for too little money and no universal healthcare?

I don't, in fact I bet we could argue exactly the opposite. You want me to do what? Okay, where can I leave my brain?

I still like everything you said, and it is one of the reasons I hate Perry. I know him and his can teach their children to be flat earthers and it wont matter. Why he thinks he can get my vote then is beyond me. (This election will be the first time I've ever voted! -sweet)

I think we should teach it because it's true. Creationism is bullshit and has no place in education.

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:54:19 UTC | #875112

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 5 by Neodarwinian

Bobby Jindal endorses Perry?

The kiss of death, politically speaking. Jindal has already killed his own Presidential aspirations, so let us hope he can do the same for Perry. ( an F in organic chemistry!!! Tough subject, but that is why they have withdrawal )

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:01:00 UTC | #875113

alf1200's Avatar Comment 6 by alf1200

To Neodarwinian, But that is why Texas and Louisaina are two of the most uneducated and religious states. Not to mention the worst obesity, the most underinsured and,.....on and on.

Lets hope some day we are not forced to go to church like a person from Texas I once knew advocated.

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:23:19 UTC | #875119

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 7 by QuestioningKat

Nowhere else in the US can you use a name like Bobby and become Governor. OK well maybe TN, KY WV, Georgia...

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:25:17 UTC | #875120

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 8 by SheerReason

We're bringing some Jesus to the White House it looks like... Intelligent Design will be in the classrooms and Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. Look for another Scopes monkey trial.... This time there's no H.L. Mencken to convince a good attorney to represent the evolutionist...

Ok... perhaps not, but if you've seen the most recent approval ratings and you're familiar with the voter demographics of this country, you might not be so skeptical...

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:37:37 UTC | #875123

alf1200's Avatar Comment 9 by alf1200

To SheerReason, ........Eugenie Scott won't let that happen. Ncse has won every case they contested.

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:45:00 UTC | #875126

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 10 by Functional Atheist

The endorsement of Perry by Jindal is unsurprising. As others have noted, their states and their beliefs share much in common--it would be much bigger news if Jindal were to endorse anyone other than Perry.

The battle for the Republican nomination is far from over, and the general election is more than a year away. As we observe this process play out, let's try to avoid the pitfalls of irrationality and panic.

Anecdotes regarding individuals who have no association to any candidate are unhelpful, and in my view should be consciously avoided. All due respect, but the following casts more heat than light:

Comment 6 by alf1200 :

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:28:31 UTC | #875140

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 11 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 2 by JHJEFFERY :

He made a C in U.S. History and a D in economics? Are you serious?

The republican party endorses stupidity and ignorance, those grades are like a badge of honor fellow republicans.

PS: Just in case you missed it, this is Rich's Transcript

Grades

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:33:06 UTC | #875155

Quine's Avatar Comment 12 by Quine

SNL nailed Perry last night:

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:44:13 UTC | #875157

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 13 by SheerReason

Just thought I would post this in case any of you missed it. Apparently a soldier decided to come out of the closet during a live video stream at the GOP presidential debate in Orlando Florida. Of course the crowd made their views known ... still, it was hilarious to read.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:46:39 UTC | #875159

alf1200's Avatar Comment 14 by alf1200

To Functional athiest. "Anecdotes regarding individuals who have no association to any candidate are unhelpful, and in my view should be consciously avoided. All due respect, but the following casts more heat than light"

In your view is fine. And you aren't showing respect for my opinion.

This is not only a problem with candidates, its also a problem with voters. If you don't think so you are fooling yourself. How does a canidate get into office? Thats right. Religiots vote!

We need to expose these people as well as the candidates. Especially when they are managers. Otherwise we are all wasting our time.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:58:15 UTC | #875171

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 15 by TheVirginian

Even worse for Louisiana: The state has worked for years to create a medical research and biology-oriented education and technology corridor along Interstate 20 from Ruston to Shreveport (north central to north west La.) If La. gets a bad rep as a creationist zone, that will make it harder to bring in bio-tech companies and research facilities and for them to recruit top-quality biologists, doctors and medical researchers. I've lived in both northeast and northwest La., and I know there are some good, smart people there, but I also know that are lots of creationists and Christofascists, so the state ought to be working overtime to promote good science in education, instead of this bible-based gibberish about Adam and Eve, a worldwide flood, etc. It's very very difficult to dance with the stars when you keep shooting yourself in the foot! FYI, I now live in Baton Rouge and can see some of this idiocy up close and personal. I'm very angry that a state with a lot of smart, decent people, with a culture that creates lots of great music, food, and other arts (trust me, as an outsider, I can honestly say this is one of the best places to find great food, music and festivals) but also can't shake itself from the self-destructive habit of electing Jindals and similar fools or crooks to high offices. I know there must be a connection between this state's yin-yang, but I just can't figure it out.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:59:52 UTC | #875172

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 16 by Jos Gibbons

The phrase "the blind leading the blind" comes to mind.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 05:31:41 UTC | #875185

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 17 by drumdaddy

Who's behind the abhorrent actions of these clowns who call themselves governors? Who wants to keep the people dumbed down and distrustful of scientists? Who wants to keep the herd all religioned-up and focused on the afterlife as a cure for our current earthly destruction?

It's all about oil, coal and gas. The barons fight on multiple platforms to protect their turf. This is war. They are currently winning.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:13:33 UTC | #875295

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 18 by thebaldgit

Jindal supports Perry, bears shit in the woods no surprise hear. Having fucked up his own chances of winning the republican nomination he obviously feels that slapping a fellow creationist on the back may help him if the US electorate are stupid enough to elect Perry next year.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:18:49 UTC | #875318

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 19 by Philoctetes

The awful thing is that US Presidential elections are not about the power of argument, they are about numbers and the financial clout to turn numbers into votes. The US has a history of electing cretins to the top office, oh for a return to the good old days of the GOP when they were content with getting and keeping criminals in the White House.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:15:32 UTC | #875347

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 20 by KenChimp

Oh no!

We're all powerless in the face of this "Solidarity of Stupid", this "Axis of Ass-clown-ery"!

If Ricky P takes the Republican nomination, I will burn my freakin' voter registration card. But only after voting for Obama in 2012.

If he somehow wins the Presidential election, I'll move to Costa Rica to live the life of a self-exiled ex-patriot! At least I'll be able to get decent medical care for a reasonable price there!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:41:06 UTC | #875395

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 21 by Functional Atheist

@14 In a nation of over 300 million people, is it helpful or illustrative to give weight to one individual's crazy opinions? I say no, that anybody can pull an anecdote out of their pocket to grind whatever axe they may have. That style of reasoning reduces the credibility of the argument being made, in my opinion.

Right wing radio, for example, loves to quote extremist leftist villains, in an attempt to conflate one wacko with tens of millions of people. Abusing anecdotes to create guilt by association is a bad form of argument. For a site dedicated to reason and science, I believe we should avoid imitating the logically fallacious reasoning of far-right pundits.

I characterized your anecdote as casting more heat than light because I felt you were playing the same 'guilt by association' game as routinely practiced by Coulter, Limbaugh and Hannity. In my view, I'd be a hypocrite if I allowed guilt-by-association reasoning to pass without comment from a leftist, when I routinely decry guilt-by-association reasoning from a rightist.

I respect your right to disagree. I did not say your anecdote cast ZERO light on the topic, it was a proportional characterization: MORE heat than light (not only heat and zero light).

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:59:41 UTC | #875527

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 22 by Steven Mading

Comment 2 by JHJEFFERY :

He made a C in U.S. History and a D in economics? Are you serious?

The sad thing about the Republican party right now is that they are praising ignorance. They're proud of the fact that they're not "elites". They are suspicious of acedemia, for pretty much the same reason that $cientologists are suspicious of psychology. In both cases they (quite rightly) view it as something that shoots down their claims, and therefore it must be treated as the enemy.

Proper knowledge of US history makes it clear that a lot of the claims the Republican candidates are making right now are bullshit; primarily the claim about just how religious the founders of the country really were, and how much this religion of theirs was allegedly responsible for the format and establishment of the constitution. I really get rankled up when they try to claim ownership of the concept of Democracy belongs with Christianity. There's a reason the archetecture of the government buildings in Washington DC are modeled after ancient Greek and Roman stylings. If the right wants so badly to melt religion with US patriotism, then they should be praising Zues, Apollo, Athena, and their ilk, not Jesus and Paul.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:40:36 UTC | #875720

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 24 by Sean_W

Very funny Quine - thanks for sharing it.

I want to take an opportunity to call myself an idiot,

it has bothered me since I wrote it, what a stupid thing to say. I would not trade what little science I know, for anything.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:51:25 UTC | #875757

champak5501@yahoo.com's Avatar Comment 25 by champak5501@yahoo.com

Perry becoming President would be a joy for all those who wish to destroy the USA

Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:30:22 UTC | #883261

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 26 by DavidMcC

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:01:18 UTC | #889192

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 27 by Tyler Durden

Comment 26 by DavidMcC :

Oops! :)

Perry forgets his lines

How very telling:

Perry reeled off two of the three departments he wants to axe, but could not remember the third: "It's three agencies of government when I get there that are gone: commerce, education, and the uh ... what's the third one, there?"

Perry wants to cut education. Says it all really.

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:08:03 UTC | #889193

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 28 by DavidMcC

I hope this doesn't mean that Perry is simply going to be a kind of "George Dubya II"!

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:43:57 UTC | #889244