← Male deep-sea squid seeks mate of either sex for fun in the dark

Male deep-sea squid seeks mate of either sex for fun in the dark - Comments

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 1 by DavidMcC

Thair problem may not be so much the dark (to which their eyes must be well adapted if they are to hunt, for example), but the fact that they are near to death by the time they mate. Being invertebrates, their eyes are gradually deteriorating throughout their life (since they don't have RPE cells), leaving them almost blind by mating time in any case.

EDIT: Also, because their eyes aren't the size of dinner plates (like colossal squids') they do not get to protect their opsins from damage in the manner a colossal squid does (by spreading the load over a large retina).

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:41:38 UTC | #875228

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 2 by Sjoerd Westenborg

So glad we humans have adopted another strategy. (no homophobic interpretation please)

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:27:53 UTC | #875250

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 3 by DavidMcC

The only disadvantage for us, that I can see, is that we don't get to "go with a bang" (pun intended!).

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:33:06 UTC | #875254

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 4 by DavidMcC

What the article doesn't mention is whether the sexes would even look different (to a squid) in brighter light or with younger eyes.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:26:55 UTC | #875279

Roedy's Avatar Comment 5 by Roedy

Seems to me that as a sneaky squid, if I can talk 10 male squids into wasting their sperm, that gives me a better chance with the females

It also could be I, as picky male squid, try to decide whether to have sex with an encounter. If I say no, when it was a female, I have lost out. So I am better off to always say yes because in the dark it is hard to tell. Presumably I have no shortage of sperm to handle all my encounters.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:30:50 UTC | #875281

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 6 by Schrodinger's Cat

1st Male Squid : " You can't see me.....but really I'm a 5'6 blonde babe and horny as hell for other female squids "

2nd Male Squid : " Me too ! Let's do it ! Do you come to this lesbian club often ? "

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:35:50 UTC | #875358

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 7 by alaskansee

@ comment 2 Sjoerd Westenborg

I second that, it'd be inconvenient to be covered in sperm sacks all the time.

Also personnel experience tells me that many males will waste sperm with enthusiasm!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:12:44 UTC | #875420

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 8 by Neodarwinian

A statistically valid mating strategy!!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:33:07 UTC | #875456

lackofgravitas's Avatar Comment 9 by lackofgravitas

Is that what I think it is?

Um, what????

Hair gel!!!

(answers on a postcard)

But seriously, recently read an impressive book by a guy called Peter Watts. Yes. it's kinda sci-fi, but in the best way. It's called Starfish. Made all the more believable due to the author being a marine biologist.

There are some scary things down there, but not as scary as mankind............

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:23:40 UTC | #875532

isisdron's Avatar Comment 10 by isisdron

ha ha! well good for them eh? In their defense it's pretty dark down there, and why take a chance of dying childless? If only they were like the flatworms...being a hermaphrodite would resolve a lot of this confusion. Or maybe, they're saying" hey! it's a new age, we squid are bisexual, get over it!!"

And is it just me or does a squid look like a penis that grew eyes, detached itself from some guy and swam away...?

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:53:42 UTC | #875554

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 11 by DavidMcC

To be more precise, isisdron, it is a combination of "it's pretty dark down there" and the fact that the squids concerned are half dead by the time they come to mate, and their (invertebrate) eyes are consequently failing.

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:01:00 UTC | #875935