← Explaining science’s magic to the young

Explaining science’s magic to the young - Comments

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 1 by Ignorant Amos

(Or “good sex,” he said over the telephone.)

Go ahead my son! A man after my own heart.....

“You might ask, ‘What are the factors that led to the Big Bang?’ ” Dawson says. “But ‘who’ suggests that it was some kind of agency. ‘What made it?’ is a legitimate question.”

Ah....that explains it, the ghost of Les made him say it....

"My wife is a sex object - every time I ask for sex, she objects." - Les Dawson

He was also great tinkler of the ivories. 7mins 5 secs for the Atheist reference.

As for the review.....why are these reviews so hung up on the religion?

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:25:53 UTC | #877752

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 2 by Daniel Williams

I'm reading this to my 5 year old at the moment. She has just lost her first tooth and she said to me the other night (while reading this to her that the tooth fairy is real. So I asked her why she thinks it's real (Carefully I don't want to shatter her dreams). So she said: We'll she comes and takes the tooth and leaves money under your pillow. That's evidence that she's real. Fantastic the way her mind works. Looking at the evidence and basing her decision/beliefs on the evidence. (I’m ever so proud)

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:30:52 UTC | #877753

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 3 by Daniel Williams

Comment Removed by Author

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:31:23 UTC | #877754

Dover Beach's Avatar Comment 4 by Dover Beach

I was slightly taken aback at the good sex over the telephone till I noticed the punctuation!

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:08:44 UTC | #877766

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 5 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 4 by Dover Beach

I had a double take maself.

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:13:45 UTC | #877768

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 6 by Anaximander

What are the factors that led to the Big Bang?

They are the "Big Bang producing factors."

Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:47:59 UTC | #877881

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 7 by Helga Vieirch

I might point out that, with reference to the following:

“I haven’t shied away from myth,” he says, referring to the story that Jesus turned water into wine. Like any other “miracle,” Dawkins says, that could have been stage magic (a conjuring trick — though he doubts it) or supernatural magic (like a Cinderella spell).

That this is probably not even magic - it is metaphor. natural processes turn water into wine all the time, and not just in grapes. I have seen moose drunk on fermented berries, and elephants on fermented marula fruit in Botswana (on a hill called "Toto-ya-marurla" in Kweneng district).

Helga

Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:53:01 UTC | #878498

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 8 by Helga Vieirch

As for "good sex" that is NOT something you usually get over the telephone, and as others have pointed out, this is clear even to the author of the remark. That good sex qualifies as a miracle is. well, perhaps a topic for another discussion with a slightly different audience… I personally, have to allow that it certainly SEEMS to be miraculous sometimes, but I generally lay the blame directly at the door of biology and, by implication, the evolutionary process. Surely, if sex were not good, at least sometimes, none of us would be here.

Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:57:47 UTC | #878502