← The Magic of Reality, By Richard Dawkins (Illustrated by Dave McKean)

The Magic of Reality, By Richard Dawkins (Illustrated by Dave McKean) - Comments

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 1 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Today my parents came to New York City to celebrate my (upcoming) 31st birthday with me. We went to the Museum of Natural History and checked out the evolution exhibits, marveling at the ancestral skeletons (and cousins too, of course) that Wendy Wright said don't exist. As we left the building, I said, "Isn't this a lot more interesting than any of these silly religious stories?" My father agreed as I expected him to. My mother, who is not particularly religious (agnostic mostly), is a bit of an apologist for religion sometimes. I expected her to respond with an on-the-fence kind of reply, but she actually agreed 100%, that the truth is more interesting. Now she wants a copy of The Magic of Reality as well, which I brought today to show her and Dad.

Julie

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 04:29:58 UTC | #879099

Planetary Paul's Avatar Comment 2 by Planetary Paul

Gots me the iPad version, very beautiful!

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 07:46:40 UTC | #879116

adiroth's Avatar Comment 3 by adiroth

Comment 1 by InYourFaceNewYorker :

Julie

Maybe she was just being polite & not try to ruin your special day by debating with you.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:02:31 UTC | #879120

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 4 by InYourFaceNewYorker

No, she sounded sincere-- WAS sincere-- and elaborated. She wouldn't "just be polite" like that.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 15:28:34 UTC | #879169

sandman67's Avatar Comment 5 by sandman67

It sounds like a great book, and living here in Thailand where deductive reasoning of any kind is an undiscovered country with Thai kids, and being a father of two, may I request you translate it into Thai pronto.

One more pont Prof D.....why the hell do you keep going on Fox, especially Bill O The Clown's show....you know...Mr Tides Rant At The Guest Hour? It seems as painful and pointless as delberately sticking your hand into a chip pan. If you dont debate creo-nuts because they are idiots and use debates to claim some form of authority, the same seems to apply to the rude ignoramuses employed by Roger and the Dirty Digger. I mean....how the hell can you have a conversation with an idiot who doesn't understand tides?

Just tell Brillo and the rest of the Faux drones to bugger off and bark at someone else....seems to make most sense to me.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 16:56:53 UTC | #879175

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 6 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Comment 5 by sandman67 :

I doubt it's even up to him. Probably his publisher sets everything up. That's my guess anyway.

Now, everybody, please extend your deepest sympathies and condolences to Richard during his recovery from being subjected to Bill O'Reilly's imbecilic rantings.

Meantime, I sent this PM to Bill O'Reilly's YouTube channel (whether or not he'll actually see it, who knows?):

"Bill O'Reilly,

Richard Dawkins's current book is NOT The God Delusion and has not been in 2 years. Grow up and stop bringing every interview with Dawkins back to his lack of belief in God.

Julie"

I would laugh so hard if he read it aloud on his YouTube channel and then responded with a rebuttal, similar to his How'd the Moon Get There? debacle.

J.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:40:22 UTC | #879183

PERSON's Avatar Comment 7 by PERSON

Hey IYFNY, that's a nice story :) I agree that it's a great gift for friends and family. I've got a copy I'm planning to give to someone.

Have you been down to see the OWS protests? It seems to be developing into something of a real, open democratic forum. People seem genuinely willing to learn about stuff. It would be good to have people representing reason and free thought down there, and I for one would be interested to hear your take on it.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:18:37 UTC | #879198

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 8 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Comment 7 by PERSON :

I am embarrassed to admit I haven't been down there. I really should be because I got laid off from a government job after only 9 months of being there; budget cuts were huge this year.

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:51:39 UTC | #879203

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 9 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Bla, it put what I said together with the quote and now it's too late to edit it. What I say starts with the part that says, "I am embarrassed to admit..."

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:13:12 UTC | #879208

Ian's Avatar Comment 10 by Ian

BlockquoteDawkins is not without his detractors, to put it mildly. Recently, in this newspaper he was accused of "fundamental intolerance". But intolerance does not mean questioning people's beliefs. It means denying their right to hold them, and Dawkins has never done that. Far from attempting to stifle debate, he goes out of his way to invite it.

Thank you, Mr Robshaw. Very well pointed out.

Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:24:15 UTC | #879336

Box grove man's Avatar Comment 11 by Box grove man

I'm reading this to my kids (8-10), they go to a CofE school and will have some tough questions for the teachers. Although I'm an atheist they must be agnostic until they have enough information to make up their own minds.
They love the book, but could Richard insert a chapter on father Christmas as Ive told them that he certainly does exist.

Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:15:32 UTC | #879380

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 12 by MilitantNonStampCollector

Off topic: the print book version smells as nice as it reads :)

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 02:32:57 UTC | #879623