← Hitchens: "I'm not going to quit until I absolutely have to"

Hitchens: "I'm not going to quit until I absolutely have to" - Comments

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 1 by SomersetJohn

He is one man who will most certainly not go quietly into the light.

Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:41:25 UTC | #879568

rubywolf's Avatar Comment 2 by rubywolf

Such an inspiring speech. It makes one appreciate life should not be taken for granted and not a single day wasted.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:08:02 UTC | #879579

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 3 by mjwemdee

A magnificent eulogy by Richard and Hitch's acceptance speech was as ever inspiring and moving. Thanks for showing this.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:32:58 UTC | #879587

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 4 by Steve Zara

When I consider Hitchens' death I get a catch in the throat. His ending will not be a triviality, not some gentle progression of generations. Each death is a tragedy, because each voice is never a solo, but an orchestra of thoughts and dreams. Hitchens has written such symphonies of reason, produced with pace and passion. When his voice finally goes quiet there will be a deep silence, a void that can never be filled.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:40:23 UTC | #879592

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 5 by HappyPrimate

In response to what Richard and Christopher said, words fail me. Awesome minds, the both of them.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:53:19 UTC | #879595

Sarek's Avatar Comment 6 by Sarek

Thank you, Hitch. Thank you very much. I wish I could have been there in the crowd to join in the applause.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:58:56 UTC | #879598

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 7 by Ignorant Amos

Was I the only one blubbering at the end of that?

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:59:05 UTC | #879599

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 8 by MilitantNonStampCollector

@Ignorant Amos

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 01:11:46 UTC | #879602

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 9 by Crazycharlie

He's amazing. Eloquent as ever. I wish I had command of the English language like Hitch then I could put into words how inspiring he is. I choked back tears when I found out he had cancer last year but while watching this I broke down. He's inspired thousands to stand up to and push back the vile religious insanity that's so corrosive to humanity in this world. He'll never die in my mind.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 03:28:03 UTC | #879636

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 10 by Chris Boccia

Nothing can describe accurately what I feel when I listen to him. I won't try. He looks happy, as far as I can discern. What a magnificent man.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 04:11:18 UTC | #879644

Sample's Avatar Comment 11 by Sample

Non sum qualis eram (bonae sub regno Cynarae)."I am not as I was..." Well, Christopher Hitchens, we still love you.

MIke & Rachel

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 05:56:13 UTC | #879667

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 12 by Laurie Fraser

Damn. I'm crying. What beautiful, eloquent speeches from both of these great men.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:35:37 UTC | #879702

BigBlue's Avatar Comment 13 by BigBlue

We have the same job that we have always had, to say as thinking people and as humans that there are no final solutions, there is no absolute truth, there is no supreme leader, there is no totalitarian solution that says if you will just give up your freedom of inquiry, if you will simply abandon your critical faculties, a world of idiotic bliss will be yours.

Richard. Can you not see a t-shirt coming on?

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:59 UTC | #879725

ashwinnarayan's Avatar Comment 14 by ashwinnarayan

That's right Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

Dylan Thomas FTW.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:42:55 UTC | #879758

wahee's Avatar Comment 15 by wahee

wonderful man Hitch. I wish I had been there

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:26:20 UTC | #879806

Philster61's Avatar Comment 16 by Philster61

I am in disbelief that we are going lose him.....This precious voice of reason...

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:56:12 UTC | #879816

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 17 by nancynancy

Wonderful speeches from both men. Hitch, we love you.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:08:24 UTC | #879840

calliecparrish's Avatar Comment 18 by calliecparrish

I cry for Hitchens not only because one of my lifelong heroes is dying, but I cry because we will have lost an amazing human being and one of the most brilliant men of all time. I know that the chances of him surviving his cancer is slim, but I don't give a damn... I still have hope that he can kick that cancer's ass just as he did Jerry Falwell.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:28:13 UTC | #879885

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 19 by quarecuss

comment 7 by Ignorant Amos

No. Very moving to see him so frail but so full of fight.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:22:27 UTC | #879906

AfraidToDie's Avatar Comment 20 by AfraidToDie

"When his voice finally goes quiet there will be a deep silence, a void that can never be filled."
Very well put up to this last statement. There will be a large void, but it will be filled eventually. The reason it will be filled is because there will be many more voices of reason because Hitchen's life has propelled our collective conscience to a higher plane.

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:30:09 UTC | #880045

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 21 by Dhamma

There is this nagging feeling I can't escape. When you've lived your life to the full, with an immense passion and ability to influence, I can understand the will that there must be something on the other end. To think that his voice will, in an instant, cease to exist is dull. That of course has little relevance as to what actually happens, and of that I have no doubt.

It's easy to romanticize it, that one should be thankful one had any life to begin with, though I think it's much simpler to do so when you're young and immortal, than when you realize you're not. Would be interesting to know how he copes with such thoughts.

I'm not an atheist because I prefer our views (on the afterlife), but simply because I don't think gods or afterlives make any sense. At least I'm honest.

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 05:35:50 UTC | #880070

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 22 by Helga Vieirch

No, he is not dead, nor ever will be, while we who live, remember.

Fri, 11 Nov 2011 05:51:49 UTC | #889368