← Atheist Ugandan works his magic on British humanists

Atheist Ugandan works his magic on British humanists - Comments

RDfan's Avatar Comment 1 by RDfan

Wow. Amazing. At last. I never thought I'd ever see any good news emanating from Uganda here on RD.net. You've restored my dying hopes for this website with regard to Uganda!

Onen, who sounds like a great guy, is someone I will be seeking out as soon as possible! Uganda does have lots of reasonable people, contrary to popular belief, and he is just one of them. I will seek ways to see how I can help the atheist movement in Ug. to move forward. Incidentally, Pentacostal Christians in Uganda date back to the turn of the century, the 20th century! Many of them did much good, what with the schools that they established and what not, but the harm that they did - spreading belief in irrational things like God, for example - is still playing itself out in the country. But, of course, before they arrived, the country had its own brew of superstitious nonsense.

Anyway, well done to Rd.net on digging up this rather positive story on Uganda! About time too.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:18:09 UTC | #881096

Dexteronly's Avatar Comment 2 by Dexteronly

Onen, borrowing from Randi, calling out superstitious Bullshit with hard cash.

Dude is an inspiration, hope he is for the people of Uganda too.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:20:58 UTC | #881109

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 3 by SheerReason

This is some of the best news I've read in a long time! I worry about this guy though. Martin Ssempa would be a really bad enemy to have in that country!

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:42:38 UTC | #881114

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 4 by drumdaddy

Evil pentecostals from the USA played a large part in the Ugandan hatred. Religious filth is being exposed everywhere. March on.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:10:24 UTC | #881120

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 5 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:18:18 UTC | #881126

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 6 by aquilacane

He and 12 others. Kind of funny. The rational 13. Sounds like something I could get behind.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:24:19 UTC | #881128

Metamag's Avatar Comment 7 by Metamag

American Evangelicals really turned that country into a hell hole. Americans should be ashamed of themselves.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:30:43 UTC | #881129

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 8 by Karen Hill Anton

{Joanna Sadgrove, the specialist) "... went on to say: "Witch doctors, child sacrifice and belief in demon possession have been around for years in Uganda, they are just more talked about at the moment because of an increasing western presence in Uganda. Journalists feed a western fascination with these stories and child sacrifice certainly makes the headlines."

... she almost sounds like she has a problem with this.

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 23:26:46 UTC | #881189

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 9 by Functional Atheist

Comment 7 by Metamag :

I'm not responsible for the actions of others, so I decline to feel ashamed. And in fairness, can't at least some of the problems of Uganda be attributed to British colonialism, Idi Amin and a variety of local factors?

American Evangelicals have had a nasty impact on Uganda, but laying all the blame for Uganda's woes on them is inaccurate.

Sun, 16 Oct 2011 01:34:36 UTC | #881200

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 10 by mjwemdee

I wish this guy good luck. Sounds like he'll need it.

Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:31:11 UTC | #881238

Raven Rise's Avatar Comment 11 by Raven Rise

Awesome. Someone from Uganda who isn't going around spewing the evils of "eating da poo poo." In all seriousness, I'm glad someone there is speaking up for equal rights.

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 02:04:08 UTC | #881364

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 12 by MilitantNonStampCollector

A tiny bulb of reason in a pitch black cave.

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 02:45:29 UTC | #881367

calvinball's Avatar Comment 13 by calvinball

I had the pleasure of hearing James speak in Belfast last week.

He seemed like a genuinely charming and witty guy, with a lot of interesting things to say. When he was asked if he felt under any physical threat, after ‘coming out’, he said no, and that he was reasonably well thought of. I didn’t get a chance to expand on this point, but I would assume it’s because, at present, he’s not perceived as posing any real opposition to the status quo. He also seems to be trying the ‘friendly’ approach which, I guess, is the only sensible way to try to influence others in his current environment.

He appears to be gaining some support via his various online campaigns, but, as I discussed with him, only a very small percentage of Ugandans have access to electricity e.g. (and even then only intermittent), so it seems the campaigns are addressed mainly at the affluent, with the hope that there will be some kind of trickle-down effect, with those in the capital returning ‘home’ to rural areas, to spread these new ideas.

I’m not sure how successful the campaign(s) will be, or how much influence James can have, but it is certainly great to see him exploring the avenues currently available to him.

Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:33:36 UTC | #881810