← Why I refuse to debate with William Lane Craig

Why I refuse to debate with William Lane Craig - Comments

Dianne's Avatar Comment 1 by Dianne

one word suffices - eloquent.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:55:04 UTC | #882342

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 2 by Steve Zara

Well said.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:04:06 UTC | #882346

Teknical's Avatar Comment 3 by Teknical

I would like you to pop round for tea, but that will never happen either.

I won't be twittering my mates to tell them either way, but then I don't mind. He will have to console himself with god instead.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:07:52 UTC | #882348

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 4 by Jos Gibbons

Professor Dawkins has spoken before of the trouble with lending "the oxygen of respectability" to a certain type of person, but there is always the dilemma of being considered a coward, or close-minded or whatever. One solution is to wear a clown suit; who is the real clown will become apparent as the debate progresses. Being "present" only as an empty chair achieves much the same end. Perhaps Craig's stunt there is him shooting himself in the foot.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:15:39 UTC | #882350

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 5 by irate_atheist

Well said indeed. He would, no doubt, say the holocaust was the fault of the Jews for having the temerity to live in europe. If they'd just left a few centuries ago, like people wanted them to, they'd have had no problems.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:17:30 UTC | #882352

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 6 by Steve Zara

Somehow Craig has got himself a reputation as a philosopher. That is how the BBC described him in a recent interview.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:19:09 UTC | #882353

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 7 by Rich Wiltshir

It's marketing, that's all.

There is no more substance to Craig's brand of fairy story than any of the others. His is vulgarity wrapped in sophistry. Buybull wrapped in Fox News

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:22:34 UTC | #882355

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 8 by Peter Grant

What I can't understand is why anyone wants to debate Lame Craig, that Prof Dawkins shouldn't waste his valuable time goes without saying.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:23:49 UTC | #882357

Corona Dave's Avatar Comment 9 by Corona Dave

He was destroyed by Hitchens already.

Horrible, stupid little man.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:24:35 UTC | #882358

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 10 by DavidMcC

I wouldn't want to be a son of WLC, because you never know when he might decide that I deserve to "inherit eternal life"!

It's definitely best to shun him.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:27:15 UTC | #882359

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 11 by QuestioningKat

I never heard of him. Sounds like he just wants to further his career.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:32:01 UTC | #882360

Anvil's Avatar Comment 12 by Anvil

I look forward to seeing you not appear in Newcastle upon Tyne on the evening in question.

Can't wait, so excited.

I'm bringing my copy of The God Delusion for you not to sign.

How jealous all my friends will be when I show them the much treasured unsigned copy that you didn't sign when you never appeared in Newcastle upon Tyne!

I feel so privileged that in years to come my children will be able to point at my diary entry for that auspicious day and say out loud 'Look! See! Father was there - even though Richard wasn't - and here's the unsigned copy of The God Delusion to prove it!'

Some moments in one's life are priceless - this, undoubtedly will be one.

Thank you.

Anvil.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:37:43 UTC | #882362

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 13 by Premiseless

WLC - What a Load of .....

Elitism born out of bronze age racism paraded as a myth gene of 'holy' evil, as a philosophical position? I don't think so! Brainwashed literacy worthy of debate? Hardly a rational starter! Kudos to delusions as claims upon real estate? We are naturally suspicious of your motives and why you consider we should take you seriously!

Xenophobia seems to be your thing for which you seem to want to gather support rather than seek psychological help. This is the paradox you present - a financially supported denial of the mental illness to which you ascribe your agendas.

We don't take such thoughts and feelings seriously in terms of their being worthy for consideration. They need dumping is about where it's at. End of. Anything not prepared to consider this reasonable position is a blatant request for sanctioned denial!

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:38:04 UTC | #882363

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 14 by sunbeamforjeebus

This idiot is a glutton for punishment,he was destroyed by Sam Harris a few months ago in what was an embarrassingly one sided contest.Richard would just devour him and is perfectly correct in not giving him the oxygen of publicity.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:38:28 UTC | #882364

JohnDPoole's Avatar Comment 15 by JohnDPoole

Those quotations are revealing and it's great to have them posted in full view. But beyond that, WLC's not worth wasting even one more breath over....

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:38:54 UTC | #882366

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 16 by SaganTheCat

thanks for writing this. my partner was aking why there were busses going round oxford calling you out

i would quite like to go to the debate though. just to see if he gets the irony of the fact he's debating with someone who isn't there. could throw in some audience questions like "are you sort of praying to Richard right now?" and "how can you tell it's really Richard who isn't in the chair?"

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:43:09 UTC | #882367

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 17 by SaganTheCat

the busses weren't calling anyone out, they had ads on the sides (just clear that up, sorry)

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:44:08 UTC | #882368

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 18 by Bipedal Primate

But I think he wants you to "read aloud Craig's words as quoted above, then walk out and leave him talking (...) to an empty chair", Professor. Wouldn't that be fun?

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:46:48 UTC | #882369

MrClaw's Avatar Comment 19 by MrClaw

Craig says:

"I have come to appreciate as a result of a closer reading of the biblical text that God's command to Israel was not primarily to exterminate the Canaanites but to drive them out of the land.[…] Canaan was being given over to Israel, whom God had now brought out of Egypt. If the Canaanite tribes, seeing the armies of Israel, had simply chosen to flee, no one would have been killed at all.

Now Craig is very poor philosopher (the Kalam Cosmological Argument fails on EVERY premise!); it would seem from this blabber that he is also a very poor theologian, as he obviously hasn't read his 'texts' very carefully:

And it came to pass, as [the Canaanites] fled from before Israel, [and] were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: [they were] more which died with hailstones than [they] whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.

Joshua 10.11

So Yaweh takes specific pleasure in actively slaughtering the Canaanites as they are trying to run away.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:48:16 UTC | #882370

Teknical's Avatar Comment 20 by Teknical

I am sure that many people would love to have proof of the existence of a god (although most don't loose sleep over the fact that there isn't one), what bothers me about WLC is that his arguments offer nothing in support of the existence of a god. He also does nothing to explain the existence of anything else either. I find it astonishing that anyone would want to live for billions of years which also seems to be a common thread throughout religion.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:49:26 UTC | #882372

mlgatheist's Avatar Comment 21 by mlgatheist

Blockquote You would search far to find a modern preacher willing to defend God's commandment,

I do not know how it is in England, but here in the United States it isn't that hard to find people who agree with Craig. I was sent to a Southern Baptist church, in my youth, and I have known many other evangelicals. They talk just like this guy as well as will tell you that you have such a small mind in comparison to their mythical god. So you cannot hope to understand his purpose. So you are in no position to judge their mythical god nor is commands.

you can also see me not appear in Cambridge, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and, if time allows, Bristol.

I like this.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:54:49 UTC | #882376

anonymous.shyster's Avatar Comment 22 by anonymous.shyster

One wonders why god stops at killing the men, women and children. Why not kill his chosen people too, so that they can go to heaven aswell? Let's just kill the entire world so that a mass emigration to heaven may begin. Oh please mystical fairy god, giver of gifts?

...Oh and livestock.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:57:17 UTC | #882378

pwuk's Avatar Comment 23 by pwuk

Even washing the cat is more productive use of time.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:59:27 UTC | #882380

mmurray's Avatar Comment 24 by mmurray

I always wondered what this poem was about. Now I realise it was obviously written on the occasion of Richard meeting WLC

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

Michael

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:02:24 UTC | #882381

ibelson1's Avatar Comment 25 by ibelson1

I agree eloquent. I wonder if anyone has asked WLC whether the same ethics apply in Canaan today on the West Bank because many of the settlers there use the same Biblical arguments to support their actions against the Palestinian Arabs living in that part of what was once Canaan. I say this as a Jew and an ardent supporter of Israel's continued existence as a democracy that is hopefully able to maintain it Jewish personality but with equal rights for all of its citizens.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:07:24 UTC | #882382

b612's Avatar Comment 26 by b612

Why not do it this way? A couple of persons from the audience suddenly stand up during the Q&A session (or, if you prefer, in the middle of Craig's speech) and begin quoting these words simultaneously.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:08:47 UTC | #882383

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 27 by AtheistEgbert

This is actually a disappointing rant and character assassination from you Professor Dawkins. Craig hasn't actually committed genocide or murdered children (as far as I know) but he is being consistent with Christian apologetics, that rather makes Christianity look even more absurd than it is. I never felt you had a need to justify not engaging with Craig, but now you're engaging with him indirectly, and that's undermining your own sense of moral superiority.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:09:16 UTC | #882384

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 28 by Ode2Hitch

and, if time allows, Bristol.

That was funny.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:10:24 UTC | #882385

Teknical's Avatar Comment 29 by Teknical

If someone was using my name to make money I would be peeved.

I would be impressed if god turned up, sat in the chair and told him to shut up.

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:12:43 UTC | #882386

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 30 by Ode2Hitch

Have to agree with this part of the post above. The rest seems harshly phrased, but the article is quite a lengthy way of not engaging with WLC or his acolytes

Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:15:51 UTC | #882388