← A Not-So-Short Circuit?

A Not-So-Short Circuit? - Comments

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 1 by Schrodinger's Cat

. “I think it’s wrong to study joy or pleasure,” says LeDoux. “Those are abstractions of things that are happening at a much more basic level.”

Neuroscientist : " Hi babe.....wanna come back to my place for some pre-frontal stimulation of the electrochemical sodium channels in the basic neuronal pathway for species propagation that's been enhanced via differential reproduction from slug DNA "

Babe : " Oooh...I love it when you scientists talk dirty'

Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:11:40 UTC | #883804

Teknical's Avatar Comment 2 by Teknical

Utter filth, I hope this is removed by the moderator ;)

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:48:23 UTC | #883879

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 3 by DavidMcC

It doesn't seem likely that "emotional" responses is an appropriate description for animals that don't have a brain, as such, but virtually direct neural connections, as in sea slugs:

NIH article on learning and memory

Diagram

PS, although we certainly share a common ancestor with modern sea slugs, that does not make us a kind of mollusc.

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:27:13 UTC | #883888

keyfeatures's Avatar Comment 4 by keyfeatures

"I'm not even using the word emotion anymore".

????

I'm not even using words anymore.

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:23:13 UTC | #883901

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 5 by DavidMcC

Comment 4 by keyfeatures :

"I'm not even using the word emotion anymore". ????

I'm not even using words anymore.

I guess he meant that LTP predates emotion.

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:36:15 UTC | #883905

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 6 by DavidMcC

... PS, key, I hope that you can continue to use words!

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:31:12 UTC | #883916

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 7 by KenChimp

Perhaps LTP is more directly predicative of memory than it is of emotion. Are there any studies in neuroscience in which there is a differential examination of neuronal LTP, memory and emotional response?

I'd be interested to read them.

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:21:20 UTC | #883931

Dover Beach's Avatar Comment 8 by Dover Beach

Comment 1 by Schrodinger's Cat

Thanks for making both me and my partner laugh heartily. She assures me that she would find such a chat-up line irresistible.

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:31:14 UTC | #883934