← Republicans insane; want to establish theocracy

Republicans insane; want to establish theocracy - Comments

thebaldgit's Avatar Comment 1 by thebaldgit

There is no doubt that religious republicans like this think that this crap will get them elected next year but i expect some of this is an attempt to find out the religious position of Mitt Romney, who as a Mormon they see as someone who is close to the devil.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:42:42 UTC | #892249

S. Gudmundsson's Avatar Comment 2 by S. Gudmundsson

Republicans insane; want to establish theocracy.

In other news: It has been discovered that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:44:46 UTC | #892250

genes4all's Avatar Comment 3 by genes4all

"The missiles are flying,God bless America"

Scary that one of these loonies will have the power of the Nuclear arsenal at their disposal.

What on earth do they have to offer to the majority of US citizens who don't want God in the Whitehouse?

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:44:58 UTC | #892251

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 4 by Cartomancer

The very fact that the prayers and jingoistic effrontery at the beginning last for thirty-six minutes should be enough to confirm how insane these people are. Thirty-six minutes! Anywhere else people would think it had gone on for far too long if it hit three...

But I ask myself - how did this happen? America wasn't always like this. The founding fathers were highly educated secular rationalists, deep thinkers and sophisticated intellectuals. They had a profound commitment to equality and justice and inquiry and all the values of the European Enlightenment. Yes, there were plenty of religious zealots in the early years too, and yes they weren't great on issues like slavery and gender equality, but the political classes were men of vision and foresight and a commitment to human flourishing.

And we don't even have to go back that far. Even in the middle years of the twentieth century you had a thriving culture of civil rights progress and technological optimism. You came up with the space programme and put people on the moon.

What went wrong? And, more importantly, how are we going to set it right again? Carl Sagan, in the mid 90s, seemed to think this sort of thing was an inevitable consequence of declining educational standards in American schooling.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:51:10 UTC | #892254

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 5 by Tyler Durden

"Somebody’s values are going to decide what the Congress votes on or what the president of the United States is going to deal with. And the question is: Whose values? And let me tell you, it needs to be our values—values and virtues that this country was based upon in Judeo-Christian founding fathers . . . in every person’s heart, in every person’s soul, there is a hole that can only be filled by the Lord Jesus Christ." - Gov. Rick Perry (Tx)

Bat-shit crazy.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:05:20 UTC | #892256

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 6 by hemidemisemigod

This demonstrates the power of religion to corrupt and it is a serious problem. When god's law is seen to contradict society's laws then the latter must be changed. This is not an extremist view, it's a very simple idea, which might appeal to sufficient voters to make it happen.

I find what's happening in US politics to be quite scary. Living in a democracy is fine but if a sufficiently large proportion of the electorate are brainwashed sheep, following a holy shepherd, then it's bye bye democracy. Education and enlightenment has never been more important.

I grew up in a catholic family and went to church here in the UK until I was old enough to dodge attending without upsetting my Father, who was a believer. A few years ago I attended a christian church service in the US. I was invited to a friend's house for the weekend and he wanted me to attend his church. I wasn't interested but decided to go as a thankyou for his hospitality, for all the beer, letting me shoot various guns in his back yard and letting me zoom around town on his ATV.

I was stunned by one of the messages in the sermon. It was something I'd never heard in the UK and would never expect to. The priest called upon the congregation to support the state of Israel because the Jews were god's chosen people and therefore giving them aid was his will.

We live in interesting times.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:13:25 UTC | #892258

Eolbekk's Avatar Comment 7 by Eolbekk

It's interesting to see how they undermine their own statements as they make them. Quoting Santorum 45 minutes in. "Unlike Islam, where the higher law and the civil law are the same. In our case, we have civil law, but our civil laws have to comport with the higher law." That is a very frightening statement to hear from a potential president of one of the world's major powers, or indeed any nation.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:24:08 UTC | #892260

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 8 by Marc Country

So, what about Ron Paul...?

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:29:41 UTC | #892261

mr_DNA's Avatar Comment 9 by mr_DNA

Comment 4 by Cartomancer :

I would say it has been a consequence of relativism, the notion that there can be competing versions of reality and that it is offensive to question somebodies beliefs about reality; coupled with a general anti - science movement that is an alliance of anti-progess lefties and anti state fundamentalists. Rationality and reason, the ideals of the enlightenment are no longer ideals for most people. Because it is no longer cool to be sceptical or rationale its open season for any idea as long as it has an appeal to somebody. Its not just religion that is rampant; new age practices, alternative medicines and so on are now huge industries with real political clout. As to how you reverse the decline of reason, I have no idea but I would be interested to hear peoples opinions. Education does not exist in a bubble and is not a 'magic bullet'

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:51:07 UTC | #892266

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 10 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:14:08 UTC | #892269

Free2011's Avatar Comment 11 by Free2011

The scariest thing is that these are very intelligent people. If they were a tribe of ignorant people without access to education in the sciences I would understand it. Granted some of this is just to get elected but I think they really believe a majority of this BS. And I'm a republican ! It would be nice if a moderator would have the guts to ask them "Where is the evidence for your belief ?"

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:19:37 UTC | #892270

some asshole's Avatar Comment 12 by some asshole

Rick Santorum:

Unlike Islam, where the higher law and the civil law are the same, in our case, we have civil laws. But our civil laws have to comport with the higher law.

Absolutely! We need to start getting serious with our children:

He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. (Exodus 21:15)

He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. (Exodus 21:17)

The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it. (Proverbs 30:17)

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. (Psalm 137:9)

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

And, of course, women:

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. (Ephesians 5:22-24)

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. (Corinthians 14:34-36)

(Since Michele Bachmann has "Biblical worldview", she'd no doubt be strongly in favor of these new civil laws regarding women.)

Can't forget those filthy, filthy queers:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)

And on, and on, and on, and on...

Of course, Christian nuts will claim this is all taken out of context. But the only context that would make it acceptable would be to preface each excerpt with "You'd have to be a bloody moron to believe that..."

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:25:11 UTC | #892271

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 13 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 2 by S. Gudmundsson :

Republicans insane; want to establish theocracy.

In other news: It has been discovered that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Exactly. This isnt really news! These Republicans have been bat-shit crazy for nearly 30 years now.

Albert Einstein beautifully described their economic plan. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:40:27 UTC | #892274

78rpm's Avatar Comment 14 by 78rpm

Finally heard from another American who is pulled in two directions like me (Comment 11 by Free2011). I'm a Republican too, and I don't know how the hell to vote this time around, with the Republican party taken over by theocrats. I'm almost ready to defect....

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:41:08 UTC | #892275

achromat666's Avatar Comment 15 by achromat666

While you can take the simple political position that through lack of education (and more often misinforming education) as well as political obfuscation that these are just attempts to appeal to a political base. The problem is the undercurrent of the zealous religious views that have not only existed for a long time in this country but are being encouraged more and moderated less.

I agree that there is no magic bullet, but part of that is because there is no one simple front that we can take to eliminate the whole problem. Education would be a great start and is a necessary part of the process. But what of the people that don't accept what is scientifically proven? What does one do to fight the ignorance embraced by the religious that refuse to accept the truth about existence and themselves?

This is a problem that didn't happen overnight, and there's going to be a long haul to push progress forward in the minds of the zealously faithful.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:45:29 UTC | #892276

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 16 by Stafford Gordon

Oh, I can't be bothered to waste my time watching this depressing tripe.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:45:34 UTC | #892277

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 17 by drumdaddy

These pandering scumbags would tear down the Jefferson Memorial and replace it with a large statue of a hanging tortured corpse. These evil minions of oil and finance want to ruin the planet while cramming Jesus F. Christ down our gullets. (yes, the 'F' is for 'fictional')

I, for one, will not silently submit to the crescendo of psychotic godness that is ruining a great country and soiling our international reputation. They've had their say. Now it's time for full-throated rebukes of their ancient delusions and of their wholesale rewriting of history. I honestly feel that atheists are being baited to come forward to serve as evil foils in the election year passion play of the right-wing manipulators. That is from an excuse to remain silent and thereby tolerant of the growing religious menace.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:47:39 UTC | #892278

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 18 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 14 by 78rpm :

I don't know how any one could call themselves a Republican after their racist party has intentionally tried to sabotage the country just to insure they get elected in 2012. And anyone with an IQ above a typewriter could see that fact plain as day. The current Republican party is a cancer within the US.

And I am not a Democrat.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:48:18 UTC | #892279

Saerain's Avatar Comment 19 by Saerain

Comment 18 by mysticjbyrd :

Comment 14 by 78rpm :

And I am not a Democrat.

I am, and I just want to offer that aligning yourself with a political party needn't mean that you support everything that even most of it does.

Republican candidates are notoriously more openly religious, yet there are plenty of atheists (here, even) that vote Republican.

Democrats are largely opposed to nuclear power and prone to using ‘tolerance’ as a euphemism for ‘condescending ignorance’, whilst I'd like to think this doesn't apply to me.

I've met a lot of Republicans this year that are dumbfounded by the 2012 candidates and feeling very divorced from their party.

You get the idea.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:09:58 UTC | #892285

peter mayhew's Avatar Comment 20 by peter mayhew

Ugh.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:29:36 UTC | #892292

RDfan's Avatar Comment 21 by RDfan

Is it too much to hope that the other percentage of Americans (even if they are believers) who do not vote Republic can be relied upon to save the US and the rest of the world from these maniacs?

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:30:18 UTC | #892294

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 22 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 19 by Saerain :

Comment 18 by mysticjbyrd :

Comment 14 by 78rpm :

Finally heard from another American who is pulled in two directions like me (Comment 11 by Free2011).  I'm a Republican too, and I don't know how the hell to vote this time around, with the Republican party taken over by theocrats. I'm almost ready to defect....

And I am not a Democrat.

You get the idea.

It's good that they dislike the 2012 candidates. But what about the actions of the party for the past couple decades, especially the past 3 years? That is far more deplaurable than the bad representation they will recieve in 2012.

Their politics are now so skewed to the right that the only way they can get 49% of the population to vote for them is to nose-dive to country and blame it on the democrats. Otherwise that brainwashed 49% wouldn't vote for the plutarchy that the Republicans advocate.

I didn't know Democrats were opposed to nuclear power.... Even if they were, its not necessarily a bad thing. Its at best a stepping stone, as we would run out of uranium within another 30 ish years. Also, Wind and Solar, true green technology that offers unlimited clean energy, are now just as cheap as Nuclear.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:36:41 UTC | #892295

Layla's Avatar Comment 23 by Layla

Wow. I understand that given most people are Christian there, the wider culture will be heavily influenced by Christianity, but I really think a political event should be secular in nature. This is more like a Church event than a political event. Mind you, I suppose that if your entire moral/political perspective is founded in Christian beliefs it would be difficult to discuss them without reference to your religion. These people probably don't actually have any kind of objective, rational basis for their (political) beliefs that they could expound upon at an event like this anyway.

Are the democrats as religious as this?

Thank God I don't live in America.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:42:34 UTC | #892297

Odalrich's Avatar Comment 24 by Odalrich

It is very sad to see what was once a great nation is gradually sinking into ignorance, bigotry and total stupidity. I think this is due to the lack of ideas to overcome the crisis we are all in. Political parties no longer know what to do except manipulate the emotions and fears of the population. Unfortunately, there is a population (a populace, I would say) who is willing to buy any crap that any second-rate petty politician is giving them. This is a clear sign that society is entering into a long period of decline. I think this may be the beginning of the decadence of the West and other nations (in Asia?) will take the baton of leadership. The Western educational system has fallen to very low levels and people don't want to pay more taxes to provide a high level education for all.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:51:36 UTC | #892301

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 25 by AtheistEgbert

Are the democrats as religious as this?

You only have to listen to a few speeches made by Obama to realize that the democrats have jumped upon the religious bandwagon long ago. Of course, democrats are in denial of this, they think Obama is a secret atheist and must therefore be fine, without realizing that is the same game played by the republicans and the neoconservative agenda.

I have often said that religion is evil, well the same can be said of politics. Nothing good can come from it. In fact, religion is politics, at least the bits we criticize, actual religion or spirituality, which we largely ignore, is actually insightful.

That is why I don't understand my fellow atheists who think that separating church and the state somehow solves the problem of religion, when the American form of secularism has made religion literally above the law, or that secular politics is somehow healthy and good.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:52:58 UTC | #892302

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 26 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:53:59 UTC | #892303

Layla's Avatar Comment 27 by Layla

Comment 25 by AtheistEgbert : That is why I don't understand my fellow atheists who think that separating church and the state somehow solves the problem of religion, when the American form of secularism has made religion literally above the law, or that somehow secular politics is somehow good.

But the American form of secularism, from what I can see, is not actually secular at all, is it? God is on the money, in the pledge of allegience, the political events like this are like church events complete with hyms and prayers and testimony, and I gather the president talks about God in speeches. On what planet is that secularism? They're not even religious without being specific about which religion. It's all 100% Christian.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:00:01 UTC | #892307

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 28 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 27 by Layla :

You are right, separation of church and state never actually existed in the US. For instance, there has never been a president elected who did not affiliate himself with some religion.

In fact, you could probably argue that every year the two become ever more intertwined.

Comment 23 by Layla :

Are the democrats as religious as this?

Thank God I'm not American.

This is mundane compared to what the Texas Governor Rick Perry did.

As wildfires scorch Texas due to droughts, Governor Rick Perry decides to take some action. He's not a Republican who will turn a blind eye to what's happening to our climate! What does Rick Perry decide to do? Call for Texans to pray for rain, of course! He declared April 22-24th official days of prayer for rain to combat the intense drought and wild fires all across Texas.
Video

Of course it was a massive failure.

Rick Perry then went on to state that the problems the great state of Texas face are too difficult for mere men to solve, so what did he do? You guessed it, another prayer session. Obviously the problem with the first prayer session was that the people didn't pray hard enough. So this time he rented out a huge stadium for all the Christians to come pray away the bad economy. Video2 Video3

In a country, that is supposed to pride itself in its separation of church and state, we are condoning prayer meetings to Yahweh to solve our problems. And the funny thing is that the problems are largely caused by republican policies.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:13:48 UTC | #892310

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 29 by chawinwords

Frightening to the Nth degree, fully showing the extent to which religious insanity grips the political process in the U.S. and the GOP crazies in particular. And the word insanity leaps front and center. But, how in the hell could a society build that many asylums, closely guarded. Yes, more frightening than a nuclear bomb and just about as rational. Who would have ever thought that the Progressive Republican Party of Lincoln an R. Roosevelt would be taken over by crazies, and if truth is God, then the religious servants of Satan.

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:15:31 UTC | #892311

KenChimp's Avatar Comment 30 by KenChimp

Comment 14 by 78rpm :

There are many of us pulled in two directions these days.

I am a registered Republican, but I do not consider myself a "Republican". I am a "Democratic-Republican", the party founded by the third President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. The Republican party of the tradition of The Grand Old Party died when Barry Goldwater lost his bid for the Presidency, in part because he would not support this brand of theocratic religious extremism that at least five of the current Presidential candidates for the Republican Primary are advocating for. In fact he spoke out against it on many occasions.

I'm a Republican because I support smaller government involvement in the market and in private affairs, and I support fiscal responsibility. But the Republican party, or at least those who are most outspoken as "Republicans", are not small government, fiscally responsible conservatives. They are Neo-Conservative oligarchs who advocate a religious takeover of the government of the United States. They are liars, thieves, hypocrites, and in my honest opinion, traitors to this nation and its supreme law.

But the Democratic party is no better in this. The Democratic party would have us slaves wholly dependent upon government programs for our sustenance. They would have us worship the specter of pillaging socialism which has bankrupted the most vulnerable nations of the European Union, just as its more militant cousin, communism, bankrupted the former Soviet Union. At the same time, a marriage between socialist entitlement and fascist warmongering has brought the largest economy in the world to its knees.

The United States is clearly in very serious trouble. Most of its would-be leaders are criminals, and many of them traitors to every ideal of liberalism this nation was founded upon. Its people are afraid for the future, and rightly so. Its friends throughout the world are at least nervous about its government's irresponsibility, warmongering and political in-fighting, including this insane struggle between reason and the blind, idiotic faith that these warmongering, religious extremist oligarchs want to supplant the Constitution with as the nation's supreme law.

We're in trouble. I would go so far as to say we are in dire straits.

I don't know what I expect from the 2012 presidential election, except perhaps that this Republican primary election will most likely be the last nail in the coffin of my affiliation with the Republican party and with American politics in general. After all, why should I continue to pretend that I have any representation in a government that is wholly corrupt at its financial core, forcefully totalitarian in its means to ends, and wholly hypocritical in its ethics?

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:32:20 UTC | #892316