← Life began with a planetary mega-organism

Life began with a planetary mega-organism - Comments

gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by gordon

I am LUCA!

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:39:12 UTC | #893351

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:52:44 UTC | #893356

louis14's Avatar Comment 3 by louis14

This is interesting stuff. I'd love to be alive when they figure out abiogenesis and a plausible history of the first half-to-one billion years of life. But did I miss something - what does LUCA stand for?

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:57:37 UTC | #893375

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 4 by HardNosedSkeptic

Comment 3 by louis14 :

But did I miss something - what does LUCA stand for?

Last Universal Common Ancestor

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:24:53 UTC | #893378

louis14's Avatar Comment 5 by louis14

I'd worked out Last Universal... but then I had a few glasses of wine, and couldn't do the rest. (Probably the easier part). Thanks!

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:37:15 UTC | #893381

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 6 by Alan4discussion

Cells struggling to survive on their own exchanged useful parts with each other without competition - effectively creating a global mega-organism.

Horizontal gene swapping could explain a lot, and would allow a huge range of experimental variations.

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:06:47 UTC | #893387

HardNosedSkeptic's Avatar Comment 7 by HardNosedSkeptic

Comment 5 by louis14 :

You’re welcome, but you got further than me Louis. I just got it from paragraph 2:

This strange picture is emerging from efforts to pin down the last universal common ancestor - not the first life that emerged on Earth but the life form that gave rise to all others.

By the way, I like to enjoy a glass of wine when I’m on this website sometimes as well. I’m having one now in fact. Cheers!

Comment 6 by Alan4discussion :

I was thinking that as well Alan. It would make sense.

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:54:03 UTC | #893394

millefolia's Avatar Comment 8 by millefolia

Am I the only one who read the title as Life began with a planetary mega-orgasm?

Actually, it still makes perfect sense.

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:43:59 UTC | #893419

PastaPirate's Avatar Comment 9 by PastaPirate

So does that mean we can officially say:

LUCA Brasi sleeps with the fishes?

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:46:36 UTC | #893421

RW Millam's Avatar Comment 10 by RW Millam

Interesting..... interesting.

I await a scientific article on the subject of FUCA......

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:48:35 UTC | #893424

Sample's Avatar Comment 11 by Sample

I was listening to an interview on NPR today about this subject or so I think, unfortunately I didn't get to finish it as I was driving and the signal cut out.

Anyway, the person interviewed worked off the premise that Darwinian evolution is "an interlude" in the scheme of life, not a principle starter. Namely, that Darwinian evolution takes hold once individuality begins or species emerge not before.

Mike

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 03:25:23 UTC | #893498

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 12 by Nunbeliever

Hate to be a party pooper... But, is there like any evidence at all that such an organism actually might have existed or is this some form of mental gymnastics abiogenesisists like to entertain themselves with?

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:59:05 UTC | #893530

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 13 by Alan4discussion

Comment 10 by RW Millam

Interesting..... interesting. - LUCA .... but if there was a "Last" universal common ancestor, would there not also have been a "First"?

I await a scientific article on the subject of FUCA......

There would be no FUCA, unless abiogenesis produced a single genetically stable organism. I think that is the point! With genetic instability from erratic copying and horizontal gene exchange, there would be be no single common ancestor beyond a certain point. LUCA would be formed from genetic from several different organisms which were exchanging material, and then it become more competitive than the others.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:53:52 UTC | #893537

RW Millam's Avatar Comment 14 by RW Millam

@Alan4Discussion --

Mine wasn't really a serious comment..... I only came up with the acronym "FUCA" because it is fun to say it out loud ....

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:28:26 UTC | #893562

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 15 by SomersetJohn

LUCA the father LUCA the son LUCA the holy.......

Can't say I'm entirely convinced!

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:44:28 UTC | #893568

adiroth's Avatar Comment 16 by adiroth

From what I can understand from this article is that there are some scientists identifying the primordial soup as a single entity they called LUCA because it exhibits the behaviours of one.

IMO, I think it's just some sensationalist gimick they're using to make their research sounds more amazing that it is. It's too far a stretch to consider LUCA a single living entity and this view just reeks of creation mythmaking. I can also see theists using this to prove their crazy theories about Scientists as spreading the teaching of the devil. Not that I care for their opinions, but it's going to be pretty annoying when this idea catches on.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:38:20 UTC | #893578

mysticjbyrd's Avatar Comment 17 by mysticjbyrd

Comment 15 by SomersetJohn :

LUCA the father LUCA the son LUCA the holy.......

Can't say I'm entirely convinced!

LUCA is like water, it can be solid, gas, or liquid.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:56:46 UTC | #893625

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 18 by Rawhard Dickins

a planetary mega-organism ?

Is that when the earth really moves?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:38:26 UTC | #893737