← Lego bible too racy for Sam's Club

Lego bible too racy for Sam's Club - Comments

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 1 by QuestioningKat

Sam's Club = Walmart, need I say any more?

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:34:56 UTC | #893687

genjokoan's Avatar Comment 2 by genjokoan

They are correct, don't you know? The book is vulgar and violent. I am, of course, referring to The Bible. It should come with a NC17 rating.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:06:52 UTC | #893693

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 3 by Bernard Hurley

"I have just been informed that Sam's Club is pulling 'The Brick Bible' from the shelves of all of their retail locations nationwide due to the complaints of a handful of people that it is vulgar and violent,"

But the Bible is vulgar and violent.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:06:55 UTC | #893694

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 4 by The Truth, the light

Sam's Club received numerous concerns from our members and parents about the mature content in what is perceived as a children's book.

Obviously parents who have never read the Bible completely. I personally think the Bible should have a R Rating due to scenes of extreme violence, incest and cruelty.

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:09:27 UTC | #893696

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 5 by ZenDruid

Hmmm, maybe Smith should start publishing "Brick Tracts"!

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:58:50 UTC | #893705

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 6 by Fouad Boussetta

Lego again!!!!

Funny, because my last post was about this: LEGO MOHAMMED

(No chance that will ever be on sale. Too bad!)

Anyway, I love Lego. I had tons of pieces and hours of fun when I was a kid, building spaceships and stuff... And I had the pleasure of visiting the Lego store on Rockefeller Center in NYC lat year. Very educational and fun toy, really.

Lego Akbar!! :-)

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:40:04 UTC | #893718

Foresme's Avatar Comment 7 by Foresme

He Sam's Club Facebook page is a hoot. All the people supporting the ban are either complaining about the website, (the book was toned down), or simply the fact the author is an atheist. They can't comprehend the content is straight out of their own Bible and that if they don't like the content it's because the Bible is filled with horror.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:30:02 UTC | #893736

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 8 by Dhamma

Somehow I think they really complained in this order, "..complaints had been made by Sam's Club customers that the author is an atheist and the book is vulgar and violent."

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:55:08 UTC | #893754

Sarmatae's Avatar Comment 9 by Sarmatae

I'm behind this decision 100%. I couldn't think of anyone better qualified to decide what is appropriate for me to purchase than the management at big box stores and those at their corporate headquarters. I'm comforted to know that the annals of corporate power are protecting me from myself by only providing the most high quality vetted material.

Oh look it's a Larry the Cable Guy Christmas special on sale! I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:16:24 UTC | #893759

basti2682's Avatar Comment 10 by basti2682

if they banned this they might as well ban the source material. children have easy access to the thing!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:13:24 UTC | #893762

Universeman's Avatar Comment 11 by Universeman

I want a Lego God to play with!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:51:45 UTC | #893768

PastaPirate's Avatar Comment 12 by PastaPirate

Get those sex parts out of the bible (even though they were written by/inspired by the divine creator of the universe).

Now genocide and murder of innocent children? WOOOO Keep it in!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:06:50 UTC | #893769

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 13 by Flapjack

Now I see the problem, you can read about all those things in the Old Testament but the moment you illustrate them it's all a bit too graphic for kids.

Because kids aren't capable of forming a mental picture of Abraham stabbing Isaac or Lot's Daughters or all those acts of genocide without pretty pictures. It's either admitting the bible is way too dull to pay attention without illustrations or that if you did pay attention it should be on the top shelf wrapped in cellophane and not available to anyone under 18. That said I did chuckle at the bit in the Brick testament about the holy ghost 'visiting' the virgin Mary... not much was left to the imagination... that's the steamiest encounter involving a ghost since that movie with Patrick Swayze!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:14:56 UTC | #893782

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 14 by drumdaddy

I've seen illustrations of David and Goliath, but I'd love to round out my religious training with illustrations of David harvesting the foreskins of the Phillistines.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:12:18 UTC | #893814

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 15 by Chris Roberts

The onion again?

You guys crack me up every time.

the book was pulled after an unspecified small number of complaints had been made by Sam's Club customers that the book is vulgar and violent, and that the author is an atheist.

Just a thought, is god an atheist? After all, he doesn't believe in any other gods, and there would be no need to believe in himself, right?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:17:08 UTC | #893828

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 16 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 15 by Chris Roberts

He does believe in other gods thou......why else would he say?........

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:37:20 UTC | #893855

showmeproof's Avatar Comment 17 by showmeproof

By banning the book they brought a great deal of attention to the author. He has to be absolutely loving this outcome. I checked out his website, and he does give warnings of content in the form of ratings (N=Nudity, S=Sexual, V=Violent, and C=Content), and it is absolutely fantastic.

This is pure genius visual satire. Believers don't want to question the bible because it's sacred to them and they want to teach it to their children (often glossing over or sugar coating some of the unacceptable bits). Solution: Put the bible in a medium that is not sacred and adored by both adults and children alike (legos).

Imagine if Sunday School had consisted of building lego sets.

Richard: Set this guy up for some kind of award for promoting the teaching of the bible. That'll rile them up a bit more...maybe it'll force them to take a closer look at what they call 'sacred'.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:03:16 UTC | #893894

showmeproof's Avatar Comment 18 by showmeproof

Comment 16 by Ignorant Amos :

Comment 15 by Chris Roberts

He does believe in other gods thou......why else would he say?........

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Psalm 82:6 is bit less ambiguous "I say, 'You are gods, children of the Most High, all of you; nevertheless, you shall dies like mortals, and fall like any prince"

There are, or rather were, other gods...they just got killed off within the Jewish tradition.

Great book: The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:27:55 UTC | #893902

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 19 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 18 by showmeproof

Great book: The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith

Thanks for the reading references, Quine put a good link up a wee while ago on this point.

A History of God

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:41:34 UTC | #893905

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 20 by Tyler Durden

Comment 18 by showmeproof :

Great book: The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith

Cool. With Christmas coming soon, it's always nice to have interesting gift ideas for my theist friends :)

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:35:56 UTC | #893915

showmeproof's Avatar Comment 21 by showmeproof

Comment 19 by Ignorant Amos :

Comment 18 by showmeproof

Great book: The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith

A History of God

The information is fairly accurate. However, at minute eight when discussing the Tanaach Cult Stand he asserts that each tier refers to a different deity (is this what Karen Armstrong suggest in her book?). Most scholars think the bottom and third tier refer to Asherah, while the top and second tier refer to Yahweh. The Canaanite roots of Judaism is fascinating stuff and can be best described by Exodus 6:2-3 NRSV "God also spoke to Moses and said to him: "I am the Lord (YHWH). I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name 'the Lord' (YHWH) I did not make myself known to them."

According to Jewish tradition the patriarchs worshiped the Canaanite high god of a pantheon of gods. YHWH was one of his sons (cf. Deuteronomy 32:7-9).

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:23:52 UTC | #893931

littletrotsky13's Avatar Comment 22 by littletrotsky13

For the lego bible: "..complaints had been made by Sam's Club customers that the book is vulgar and violent, and that the author is an atheist."

For the actual bible you could retract it with: "..complaints had been made by Sam's Club customers that the book is vulgar and violent, and that the author believes he is a god."

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:55:52 UTC | #893944

Quine's Avatar Comment 23 by Quine

I find the "History of God" subject to be fascinating; I have to stop myself from wasting too much time in research, there. It goes with the simple observation that science shows that the story of Genesis is fiction, from a physical point of view, so the whole Original Sin foundation of Christianity collapses. Then, when you bring in the historical study of how polytheism went through a crunch down (one deity had to take on the stories of many) to give something that could be passed off as monotheism, it becomes more and more uncovered as what it is, a fairy tale.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:57:04 UTC | #893962

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 24 by Alan4discussion

Comment 22 by littletrotsky13

In the interests of accuracy we should really say:-

"..complaints had been made by Sam's Club customers that the book (Bible) is vulgar and violent, and that the sheeples believe the author is a god, although historically it was (re)written by numerous bronze-age scribes.."

Comment 11 by Universeman - I want a Lego God to play with!

Well do what everyone else does - start with a pile of bricks!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:32:13 UTC | #893999

Rikitiki13's Avatar Comment 25 by Rikitiki13

Evidently one of the offended ones said: "This is where it all went downhill for me. While the Web site does have a content warning on it, I feel the [paraphrasing] of the bible stories are not age appropriate and should be identified both on the Web site and the book itself."

But...I don't think Smith DID any paraphrasing, did he? Isn't that what the bible SAYS?

Someone help me out here, please...if these are real bible verses (which I think they are), then the bible itself should have big, red warning labels all over it!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:14:08 UTC | #894009

some asshole's Avatar Comment 26 by some asshole

This reminds me of how radio stations and other media outlets will bleep out words like "shit", while leaving in overt references to violence, drug use, and sex. I mean, on this very web site, I could say "I support and believe in the portions of the Koran that advocate deadly violence against nonbelievers", yet if I joke about punching someone in the face, the comment will be removed (as it was yesterday).

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who realizes how incredibly stupid this all is. This is one of those times.

It's nearly 2012.

Humanity is still cowering under a cloud of self-imposed cruelty, violence, superstitions, and other manifestations of stupidity.

I no longer harbor even the slightest hope that I will live to see the cloud removed, or even break up.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:50:28 UTC | #894016

Correct me if I'm wrong's Avatar Comment 27 by Correct me if I'm wrong

I've been reading The Brick Testament from the website today, and it's wonderful. Had me giggling away. It does go on a bit, because of the source material, but the tedium itself is kinda funny. I think I might actually make it to the end this time. Good publicity well deserved.

How people manage to struggle through that stuff without funny pictures completely baffles me.

Tue, 29 Nov 2011 00:48:35 UTC | #894026

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 28 by Starcrash

Comment 26 by some asshole :

I think the difference is that obscenities don't hurt anything other than sensitive feelings. "Offending" opinions are also as painless. Threats of violence can and do hurt people (it's a soft form of terrorism). I didn't read your comment (obviously I can't), but your "joking" tone probably didn't come through - it's very hard to convey tone in just words.

It's a very different thing to say "I'll kill you" and "a book told me that I should kill you". One of these statements is just stating a fact, but the other says you're going to act on this fact and poses imminent danger.

Tue, 29 Nov 2011 04:14:50 UTC | #894050

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 29 by Steven Mading

I'll bet these blatant hypocrites sell copies of the bible in their book section, with exactly the same raunchy content as the lego bible. The only difference is that in the lego bible you get to see it rendered and that makes it look silly.

They claim they pulled it for mature content, which is bullshit because they should pull the normal bible too for the same reason then.

The real reason for pulling it is not the raunchiness of the content, but the brutal honesty of how it makes the bible look really bad by merely illustrating what it's actually saying.

Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:24:00 UTC | #894067

Tintern's Avatar Comment 30 by Tintern

If it's not suitable for kids, put it on a different shelf and high up. Then you can let adults make their own decision about purchasing it. Problem solved. Unless, of course, you have a different agenda.

Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:24:15 UTC | #894075