← UPDATED: Muslim medical students boycotting lectures on evolution... because it 'clashes with the Koran'

UPDATED: Muslim medical students boycotting lectures on evolution... because it 'clashes with the Koran' - Comments

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 1 by Dhamma

"Religion is completely compatible with science".

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:40:25 UTC | #893748

steveclark57's Avatar Comment 2 by steveclark57

So shouldn't they fail the subject?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:44:20 UTC | #893750

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

As if the medical community is all that well informed about the theory of evolution by natural selection anyway!

I would not want one of these physicians attending to my case and as a VA patient I might just get one of these nutters. I did run into a phlebotomy tech. that was as described here and it was not a pleasant experience meeting such ignorance in a professional setting.

Perhaps a bit of academic punishment here? Not granting these people licenses? Expulsion?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:44:46 UTC | #893751

Quine's Avatar Comment 4 by Quine

What is this "Darwinist theory" they mention? I know about Darwinian theory, but not any "Darwinist."

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:50:24 UTC | #893752

timtalkstoomuch's Avatar Comment 5 by timtalkstoomuch

Flunk them and send them to divinity school...

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:54:25 UTC | #893753

Quine's Avatar Comment 6 by Quine

Comment 2 by steveclark57:
So shouldn't they fail the subject?

If they fail the exam, then yes. However, I suspect that some were in the walkout for political reasons among their friends and family, but will also do the study on their own to get the grade.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:56:10 UTC | #893756

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 7 by El Bastardo

Are we sure that we are getting smarter a a species?

On a side note, one of the comments on that site...

I look forward to Dawkins attacking Islam as enthusiastically as he does Christianity. - Punk in Drublic, Radcliffe, 27/11/2011 14:16

Seriously, no knowledge, but an opinion, and an internet connection to make them feel validated.

It's bad enough that they don't know, but if you try to educate them they go and storm out. You just can't win with some people.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:08:33 UTC | #893757

ghuckin's Avatar Comment 8 by ghuckin

OK, it's of some concern, but then again, the source is The Mail.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:12:22 UTC | #893758

some asshole's Avatar Comment 9 by some asshole

I find frightening the possibility that someone I love may one day be under the care of someone like this in a medical setting.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:52:57 UTC | #893760

Dexteronly's Avatar Comment 10 by Dexteronly

Warn them, and ask...."these immunization shots contradict you're religion on a fundamental level, do you still want them?" Unfortunately we know people who express strong religious convictions will almost always trust god over science. If it wasn't detrimental to our collective health I'd be tempted to let them crack on and destroy themselves via inbreeding and ignorance.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:56:10 UTC | #893761

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 11 by The Truth, the light

They should never ever get their degree. Wilful ignorance of the facts should never be excused.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:33:01 UTC | #893763

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 12 by fuzzylogic

That is their right, as long as they don't mind forfeiting their MD as a consequence.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:47:28 UTC | #893764

Universeman's Avatar Comment 13 by Universeman

There is an F-22 pilot in my LDS ward (I happen to be a Mormon atheist, I know weird) and he taught the lesson in Melchizedek priesthood today which was on receiving personal revolation, on a positive note, no claimed to have ever received any bonifide revolations. The sad part was that they cited a general lack of worthiness as the reason that God does not broadcast more revolations to them, sigh. I just wanted to jump up and scream, there is no God, that is the reason you are not receiving any personal revolations! The level of Cognitive dissonance was painful to watch, how such intelligent and well educated people can be so blinded is beyond me, although I used to believe in this stuff not all that long ago myself and looking back I still could not tell how I managed to believe for so long.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:47:45 UTC | #893765

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 14 by robotaholic

I thought the purpose of school is to learn...As always, religion poisons everything.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:20:04 UTC | #893770

Sameer Siddhanti's Avatar Comment 15 by Sameer Siddhanti

May God spare people of facing such fanatic Doctors who doesn't know where to draw the line between reality and fairy tales... :-)

I wonder if people of all religions are equally fanatic! Any thoughts...

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:31:31 UTC | #893773

deesklo's Avatar Comment 16 by deesklo

WTF? Students don't attend lectures? Then purge them from the uni, what's the problem?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:49:46 UTC | #893774

gingerninjalee's Avatar Comment 17 by gingerninjalee

Im sorry. But isnt the cure for leporacy based on the evolution of the disease?(correct me if I'm wrong)

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:52:10 UTC | #893775

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 18 by Nunbeliever

I have a simple solution. Throw the trash out of our medical schools! These people are not just ignorant. They are utterly arrogant as well. They don't want to learn. The choice is of course theirs to make, but it should have grave consequences.

You should not be allowed to practice medicine if you deny the most fundamental tenets of biology. It's time to show the religious they don't run the show anymore. We have religious freedom and they can believe (or refuse to believe) anything they like. But, they have to realize ignoring basic science will come at a price. Such a person should not be entitled to any respect or in any way be considered an authority or considered suitable for any respected position in our societies. There's just no room for people with a bronze age mentality in modern societies.

Still in these horrible times of post modernism and relativism I am sure some dean (probably forced by some despicable politician) will excuse and suck up to these students and invite them back to school. Heck, why not throw in a public apology for exposing them to reality in such an insensitive and arrogant way as well. Just because all the evidence point towards evolution does not mean we shouldn't regard some collection of random bronze-age myths as equally valid and worthy of respect.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:55:52 UTC | #893776

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 19 by rjohn19

I find it almost a relief that we god-fearing gringos have not totally cornered the market on rejecting rock solid science in favor of piffle but not such a relief that I hold out much hope for our future.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:05:52 UTC | #893777

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 20 by Steve Zara

comment 18 by Nunbeliever

I think that it is important to emphasise as you have that creationism really is an arrogant rejection of science. There can be much talk about the humility associated with faith, when in reality it is anything but. Someone who treats science as a second-best (or worst) way of looking at reality really should not be in a medical school.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:07:13 UTC | #893779

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 21 by huzonfurst

What is stopping the entire teaching staff across the country from refusing to allow anyone who does this, muslim or otherwise, into their classes? What will the colleges do, fire them all?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:11:44 UTC | #893780

pagan4's Avatar Comment 22 by pagan4

The case is simple: they should all be exmatriculated by their Universities without exception! But as it happened in the past: their will be some special arrangement for them because of this political correct capitulation before an aggressive occurring Islam in European societies. It's a shame.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:13:26 UTC | #893781

gingerninjalee's Avatar Comment 23 by gingerninjalee

They could at least have the decency to attend the lectures. Whether they believe in what the lecturers are saying or not.

The whole concept of religious people studying medical practices is somewhat hypocritical. I mean instead of praying for a cure they decide to learn the more modern and hands on practices of the doctors of today. Yet they ignore our concepts and ideas! wtf!?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:22:43 UTC | #893783

mr_zero's Avatar Comment 24 by mr_zero

Is this story available from a reliable, ie non-Daily Mail, source?

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:25:57 UTC | #893784

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 25 by Vorlund

We need competent doctors not witch doctors. Evolution is hopefully an examinable and summative component of their final exams. Students who do not attend lectures should be kicked out.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:41:41 UTC | #893787

Rara192's Avatar Comment 26 by Rara192

At my university (Macquarie University, Australia) one of the first year biology courses is "Evolution and Biodiversity" and I noticed at least one muslim student participating in it. Another first year bio course that I completed last semester was on cellular and molecular biology, but our professor dedicated the first lecture to explaining the concepts of science and evolution, including pseudosciences from astrology, to the supernatural, to intelligent design — he's very in-tune with public understanding of science. I'd say the other first year courses, like human biology, introduce evolution too. So, I think every medical science student will be exposed to evolution, but they can probably get away with not understanding it. However, we also have a chiropractic degree in our science faculty (I'm not sure how it's supposed to be different from physiotherapy) but students have to partake in some pretty heavy duty science courses, e.g. chemistry, biochemistry, organic and biological chemistry, so there's no mercy for those suckers: learn how to be a scientist or no degree.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:36:07 UTC | #893789

Blue Powder Monkey's Avatar Comment 27 by Blue Powder Monkey

The Daily Mail.

Seriously?

Richard Dawkins' website is presenting the Daily Mail as a reliable source on a story that is attacking an ethnic minority? Have you ever read that paper? What on Earth would lead an intelligent person to believe that this is anything other than another bit of knee-jerk intolerance designed to whip up hatred of a minority, on the flimsiest of 'evidence'? Shameful.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:48:01 UTC | #893791

carlmosconi's Avatar Comment 28 by carlmosconi

Instead of hanging various leaders of the world in effigy, Muslims will be far better off when they start hanging Al Ghazali in effigy.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:08:16 UTC | #893794

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 29 by strangebrew

If this report is factual...fail the lot of them until they realise that they will not become a doctor much less a student unless they learn it.

No debate no excuses and no special dispensation..simples.

There are many other students desperate for a place in a medical university that accept and look forward to a medical education. It would not only be unfair to those students that want to complete all modules and do so only to find out you apparently do not have to learn evolutionary theory!

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:20:18 UTC | #893796

millefolia's Avatar Comment 30 by millefolia

If that's true, then it's only an indication of the presence of religious extremists. I've met very many Muslim colleagues who wouldn't even think of knocking down Darwin on religious grounds. Interestingly, I clearly remember the world in which it was unusual for any religious adherent to reject Darwin (or any other scientific concept) with a possible exception of some backwards areas of the USA. Since the advent of the Internet (which was and still is American-dominated) the rejection of science is on the rise and rise.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:55:49 UTC | #893803