← Wrong sort of people

Wrong sort of people - Comments

brighterstill's Avatar Comment 1 by brighterstill

Bahahaha! Well done!

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:01:06 UTC | #895326

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 2 by Starcrash

That's pretty funny. It would seem to work in both directions, though - why isn't the church upset at sharing a street with a brothel? Or maybe they are - it's impossible to know with just the info given.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:16:44 UTC | #895333

PBrain's Avatar Comment 3 by PBrain

The brothel is for adults only...

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:31:11 UTC | #895340

IDLERACER's Avatar Comment 4 by IDLERACER

I had to Google "Chatswood" to find out that this "news" comes from Australia. To us Americans, "The North Shore" usually refers to Hawaii's legendary surfing outpost.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:47:52 UTC | #895346

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 5 by ZenDruid

Yeah, the deacons would all expect a 'charity' discount or something.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:50:55 UTC | #895348

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 6 by quarecuss

There is a mosque near where I live which was a Korean christian evangelical church a few years ago. A few years before that it was a "gentleman's club" (North American euphemism for strip/lapdance joint) called Private Eyes. I think the mihrab is where the pole dance was performed.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:17:39 UTC | #895352

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 7 by Dhamma

Who's the redditor?

I'm not so sure he's making a joke. Perhaps he fears that once the church is established, they will do their best to take his brothel down?

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:18:22 UTC | #895353

brighterstill's Avatar Comment 8 by brighterstill

Comment 5 by ZenDruid :

Yeah, the deacons would all expect a 'charity' discount or something.

Or a 'chastity' discount!

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 19:00:13 UTC | #895361

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 9 by Rich Wiltshir

At least prostitutes are honest in the motives for their endeavours; maybe they'll be a good influence on the deceitful ignorance-imposing buffoons of religoon.

Whilst research my family, I've found a possible priest from early 1800's CE. I sincerely felt nausious at the thought of such an unsavoury occupation amongst all the honest grafters on the tree - carpenters, carters, seamstresses and stokers. Truly, I'd rather find a sex working in my ancestry!

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 19:11:02 UTC | #895366

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 10 by SomersetJohn

Comment 3 by PBrain :

The brothel is for adults only...

If it's a catholic church I imagine the "Ladies of negotiable affection" might be a little long in the tooth for the religiots.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 19:12:23 UTC | #895367

jel's Avatar Comment 11 by jel

@SomersetJohn: If it's a catholic church the priests won't be interested, they prefer little boys.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 20:48:44 UTC | #895387

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 12 by AnthropicConstance

I'm glad to assume the brothel workers will be better taken care of in a legal brothel. After all, somebody has to pay taxes so the gov't can donate to the church!

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 20:49:32 UTC | #895388

LeCoeurSec's Avatar Comment 13 by LeCoeurSec

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 21:20:29 UTC | #895394

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 14 by Mrkimbo

Delicious. If it's a legal brothel at least everyone being felt up and shagged inside it will be an adult. No so in a church!

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 21:32:03 UTC | #895397

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 15 by Alan4discussion

Comment 9 by Rich Wiltshir

Yes we all have our black sheep! On my mother's side, a great uncle was a church minister in an English country town, who was in danger of being defrocked for getting a young girl pregnant. He fled to the Southern USA where he spent the rest of his days as a well paid pastor of an evangelical mission church.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:14:25 UTC | #895402

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 16 by rjohn19

Too funny. Where I live, there is a restriction against adult enterprise within several blocks of a church. Since I live in the most religious part of the holy state of South Carolina where there seems to be a chuch on every other street corner, this means no adult businesses unless you wish to set up shop by the sanitary landfill or sewage treatment plant.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:59:47 UTC | #895410

mmurray's Avatar Comment 17 by mmurray

Comment 16 by rjohn19 :

This reminds me of the old joke about god putting the waste outlet near the recreation area. There is a divine precedent for this kind of colocation.

Michael

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:12:17 UTC | #895412

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 18 by -TheCodeCrack-

Love it!

I love this, this is excellent.

Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:24:31 UTC | #895415

non-jumbuck's Avatar Comment 19 by non-jumbuck

This is quite old - maybe 8 to 10 years? I used to work in the Zenith Centre, a building right across the street from La Petite Aroma, and I remember when this story hit the local newspaper, a good laugh. There was also another story about some guy going into La Petite Aroma based on the name, expecting to be able to buy perfume for his wife. :-)

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 04:38:37 UTC | #895459

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 20 by Functional Atheist

This was definitely worth a chuckle.

And honestly, as Churches are immune from most taxation here in the US, I can see a sane fiscal rationale for not wanting a new church to set up shop: as it would remove property from the tax roles, it would decrease the tax base of the municipality, no joke in this time of severely squeezed budgets.

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 05:33:46 UTC | #895464

Dirty Kuffar's Avatar Comment 21 by Dirty Kuffar

Brilliant ! - all churches & mosques should be turned into strip pubs,brothels and swing clubs anyway ! On a more serious note, there is currently a campaign in the Islamic Borough of Tower Hamlets in London's east end by an alliance of feminists and islamists to close down striptease venues.

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 06:21:46 UTC | #895472

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 22 by Cook@Tahiti

Reminds me of the story of Francis Crick and Churchill College, Cambridge...

Crick had agreed to become a fellow on the basis that no chapel be placed at Churchill. A donation was later made by Lord Beaumont of Whitley to Churchill College for the establishment of one, and the majority of fellows voted in favour of it. Crick claimed that Winston Churchill wrote to him saying that no-one need enter the chapel unless they wished to do so, and therefore it did not need to be a problem. Crick, in short order, replied with a letter accompanied by a cheque for 10 Guineas saying that, if that were the case, the enclosed money should be used for the establishment of a brothel. This story was repeated by Crick in an interview with Matt Ridley (Crick's biographer[9]), quotes from which are reported in the Daily Telegraph.[10]

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:36:19 UTC | #895512

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 23 by Mrkimbo

I've never even considered going into a strip joint but if one thing could convince me to tuck dollar bills into a cleavage or two it would be 'an alliance if feminists and islamists.' How I hate anti-sex puritans!

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:49:34 UTC | #895519

Reginald's Avatar Comment 24 by Reginald

Comment 2 by Starcrash

why isn't the church upset at sharing a street with a brothel? Or maybe they are - ".

I expect they see it as an evangelising opportunity.

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:24:24 UTC | #895597

Reginald's Avatar Comment 25 by Reginald

Comment 13 by LeCoeurSec

Depends on the type of brothel :P Who knows, church fathers and their congregation might find it interesting after all!"

Probably sado-masochistic flagellation, seeing as how they churches are so fond of corporal puniahment.

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:32:42 UTC | #895600

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 26 by AnthropicConstance

Comment 19 by non-jumbuck

You didn't finish the story. By finding the neighborhood on Google Earth I see the Mosaic Life Church has been permanently closed. (Some scandal perhaps?) I can't find L'Aroma unless it changed it's name to the Chatswood Club (which looks like a posh place indeed.)

Sun, 04 Dec 2011 20:00:47 UTC | #895644

non-jumbuck's Avatar Comment 27 by non-jumbuck

La Petite Aroma is the old red roof building here:

Corner of McIntosh St and Railway St.

Mon, 05 Dec 2011 04:40:26 UTC | #895761

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 28 by AnthropicConstance

Thanks, but do you know, did the church ever get to move in?

Mon, 05 Dec 2011 06:04:19 UTC | #895771

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 29 by Schrodinger's Cat

I would have thought that an institution that practices the ritual worship of the biggest act of self-inflicted sado-masochism in history would be right at home in a street full of kinky establishments.

Mon, 05 Dec 2011 06:54:29 UTC | #895782

PERSON's Avatar Comment 30 by PERSON

Legal brothels? Which country is this from? It's not the UK.

Ah, OK, Australia. How did that work out? Reportedly it was a disaster in the Netherlands (also, it's a bit weird that WP has radical feminists as the primary opponents; I'd have thought it was the churches, mosques, etc, a much larger group).

Mon, 05 Dec 2011 09:17:39 UTC | #895800