← NCSE offers a preview of The Magic of Reality

NCSE offers a preview of The Magic of Reality - Comments

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 1 by rjohn19

Not going to read it. Amazon has assured me my audio copy will be delivered tomorrow. I'll be waiting by the door.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 02:09:36 UTC | #896337

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 1 by rjohn19

You will miss out in so much by not investing in the book version....this book relies to much in the visual content of the book.....I have both.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 02:18:18 UTC | #896339

helena!'s Avatar Comment 3 by helena!

Excellent! Thank you for the sneak peak I will be buying this in the new year.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 03:36:30 UTC | #896355

Sample's Avatar Comment 4 by Sample

I just saw the hardback in our largest local bookstore the other day (I have the iPad version). For some reason I was under the impression that the book was oversized. I'm very glad to see it isn't as I feared such a book would have been marketing challenge.

An acquaintance of mine has a child who, by her description, would LOVE this book. Unfortunately, the father is Catholic and his extended family is Jehovah Witness. Sticky situation, but I think I have the Mom (only culturally religious) convinced to give the book a chance.

Mike

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 03:43:52 UTC | #896357

Metamag's Avatar Comment 5 by Metamag

Comment 4 by Sample :

Mike

Why are you even mentioning religious stuff? Just say it's a book that got great reviews and it is great for teaching children about the world.

They are not against science or education, are they...in fact most catholics think science supports catholicism. "Sophisticated" theologians made sure of that, so use the door they unintentionally opened.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 05:05:00 UTC | #896367

Sample's Avatar Comment 6 by Sample

Metamag, you could not know the background that initiated discussion of this book (which was religious [the background, not the book]).

You're right, it's a great book and under different circumstances I certainly would do just as you say. Recommend it for what it is. Well, in fact that's what I am doing like I said, you could not have known the background to this story, I didn't think it was relevant, so I apologize for the confusion.

You'd be surprised, or I think you would be, how little attention is paid to sophisticated theologians by the worshippers in the pews. This is going to sound awful, but the religious I know have no energy to clarify theological pronouncements unless it is going to change how much they tithe or what team they root for. A cynical observation, but there it is.

Mike

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 05:37:06 UTC | #896372

ina.j's Avatar Comment 7 by ina.j

My personal, subjective, totally unqualified opinion - I hate the illustrations completely, throughout the excerpt and without exception. In addition, I doubt that the style of the drawings would appeal to the target audience of the book.

As for the narative, I think the stylistic device of the direct address to the reader is engaging and should be effective; the text is informative, clear and simple. However, regardless of the fascinating facts described... isn't it a bit boring? (A fan of other Richard's books, btw).

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:49:59 UTC | #896409

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 8 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 6 by Sample

Not so cynical....this is my experience. The straight out denial from those that I encounter when I start going into any sort of details on their holy book is flabbergasting. They haven't the foggiest because they haven't read it and those in the pulpit who preach the nonsense are reluctant to relay the truth, as in what is written not in it's historically accurate, and for very good reason in my opinion. So I'm not a bit surprised how little attention is paid to sophisticated theologians by the worshippers in the pews, that fact that 'sophisticated theologians' is a bit of an oxymoron is another discussion.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:13:43 UTC | #896424

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 9 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 7 by ina.j

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:20:46 UTC | #896426

Sample's Avatar Comment 10 by Sample

Agree with Ignorant Amos on this one, the work is anything but boring, imo. While I can't take away a personal objection to style, I disagree that the artwork wouldn't appeal to the target audience, at least in the West.

Mike

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:07:20 UTC | #896439

Free2011's Avatar Comment 11 by Free2011

It is interesting to me how this publication is always referred to as a childrens book. I'm an adult and found the book fascinating and educational. The topics covered are complex but the way Dawkins explains them makes each easy to comprehend. It is brilliant to begin each chapter discussing the myths that were and still are used to explain these natural events. This is the perfect book to read with your children as both parent and child will learn a lot about, well, reality.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:42:30 UTC | #896448

AtheistBlacksmith's Avatar Comment 12 by AtheistBlacksmith

I really enjoyed The Magic of Reality in both Audio and book form. I highly recommend it for young AND old.

The fascinating facts being boring comment really struck a chord with me, though. My instant reaction was to clench my fist and declaim. "How can a fascinating fact ever be boring?"... until I think back to what school was like as a child. Those seemingly endless childhood hours in science classes of various disciplines, no one moment of which stands out as inspirational or transcendent, never mind educational. Then I contrast it with the first time, decades later, I read, then listened to, The Blind Watchmaker or The Greatest Show On Earth, or the first time I watched or read COSMOS. Those decades in between now seem to be such a terrible waste. What could I have become had I enjoyed teachers of that caliber in my early years? What wonders could I have seen? My life is more than half over and I finally know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a scientist.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:17:34 UTC | #896481

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 13 by rjohn19

Ignorant Amos- Dang, forgot about the illustrations. Also, it's 11:20 AM and the package has not arrived. Might just peek at the sample chapter.

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:20:22 UTC | #896482

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 14 by Alan4discussion

Comment 11 by Free2011

I think unless it is taken one chapter at a time, with parents discussing it with their children as they go, it is more for teens than for younger children.

I thought the illustrations and photographs (such as galaxies) were excellent, often illustrating scale or a sequence of events,- very much validating "a picture is worth a 1,000 words".

Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:00:51 UTC | #896756

SpEcImEn128's Avatar Comment 15 by SpEcImEn128

A port to android would be cheap and easy... Please, you need to port it to android :(

Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:40:03 UTC | #897147