← Preview: Richard Dawkins interviews Christopher Hitchens

Preview: Richard Dawkins interviews Christopher Hitchens - Comments

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 1 by Premiseless

When someone accuses excellent reason of stridency they are usually fixed in the position of beating it into a submissive reform en route to taking away any of it's firepower. Dogma is an emotional contrivance wired up to networks of tribalisms pseudo reason and utilising vulnerability, wild aggression, victim psychology, deviance and reverse psychology through a full blown anxiety reaction to anything staring it in the face.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:52:23 UTC | #898619

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

" ventriloquise the divine "

Never heard that phrase before. The spell check does not want to accept ' ventroliquise ', but I will change that and keep this phrase in my mind as the remembrance of a master word smith and a exemplary human being.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:57:34 UTC | #898620

helena!'s Avatar Comment 3 by helena!

"Never be afraid of stridency" A brilliant statement.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:22:58 UTC | #898628

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 4 by sunbeamforjeebus

'Ventriloquise the divine' yep I am definitely going to use that! Looking forward to buying my copy of N.S. tonight.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:32:38 UTC | #898630

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 5 by nancynancy

I live in the US and would love to read the complete interview. Is there any way for me to purchase a single edition of the PDF version? I know that single issues of the print magazine are available, as well as six or twelve month PDF subscriptions, but those are expensive.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:49:30 UTC | #898636

Mumbo-Jumbo's Avatar Comment 6 by Mumbo-Jumbo

Is there any way for me to purchase a single edition of the PDF version?

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:50:16 UTC | #898658

Moderator's Avatar Comment 7 by Moderator

The first sentence of the OP contains a link to the New Statesman website, where it is possible to purchase this edition.

Here's the link again:

http://www.newstatesman.com/subscribe (scroll down a bit to where it says Richard Dawkins Christmas Special).

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:54:28 UTC | #898659

btheist's Avatar Comment 8 by btheist

Two of the most brilliant and eloquent minds to ever walk this earth, together. Gotta get me a copy of that!

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:39:18 UTC | #898678

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 9 by Premiseless

Paraphrase CH, "One consistency - being against totalitarianism on either the left or the right, it being born of theistic sorts of mindsets."

There is mileage in this.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:29:38 UTC | #898693

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 10 by drumdaddy

Delightful! I love the mental picture of god as ventriloquist and the preacher as his dummy.

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:16:33 UTC | #898744

DaveDodo007's Avatar Comment 11 by DaveDodo007

I can listen to Richard and Christopher all day. Oh first name terms well I consider them both to be my friends even though I have never met them. I glad I have lived in a time when such educational opinions can be freely expressed. Lets hope medical science can keep Christopher with us a little longer as I would miss him as much as a loss in my own family.

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:45:52 UTC | #898763

vikasgates's Avatar Comment 12 by vikasgates

if i really want to know how to reach richard dawkins itself

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 03:35:08 UTC | #898778

JuJu's Avatar Comment 13 by JuJu

The comment thread on the other side is an interesting back and forth.

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 05:10:29 UTC | #898785

chulinn's Avatar Comment 14 by chulinn

Comment 12 by vikasgates if i really want to know how to reach richard dawkins itself

Very easy, post your comment here. Richard seems to read most of them.

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:03:24 UTC | #898801

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 15 by nancynancy

Link to amazon listing for New Statesman Kindle edition

[Comment 6]  by  [Mumbo-Jumbo] )          :

Is there any way for me to purchase a single edition of the PDF version?> You can get the 14-day free trial Kindle subscription. (You don't need to own a Kindle: you can download the Kindle application for PC/Mac/iPhone...) Hope that helps.

Thank you Mumbo-Jumbo for your very helpful information. I already have the Kindle for PC on my computer and just went to the Amazon website and learned I can purchase a single digital issue for a very reasonable $2.49. -- which I think is safer than a trial subscription I may not remember to cancel. I haven't purchased the magazine yet because the only issue that's available for purchase is dated December 12th (Jesus on the cover), rather than the Christmas Special issue which is dated December 19, 2011 - January 4, 2012 (Christmas tree on the cover). I will check back with Amazon tomorrow to see whether the new issue is listed.

Note that the link to the amazon listing for New Statesman's Kindle edition is listed at the very top of my comment.

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:02:26 UTC | #898880

BDJ's Avatar Comment 16 by BDJ

Diary of a Madman: Rare Mengele Memoir Unearthed by Auctioneer - In-Depth Exclusive

January 20, 2010

By Gustav Wynn

"We point by contrasting the notions of 'beautiful' and 'good'...you cannot find anything 'good' in the realm of biology. Now, I would like to look at humanity through religious eyes and under the assumption that human beings have an immortal soul. This is the notion of 'goodness' in a typical human idea. It's a ploy to separate mankind from his or her biological existence...

Hermann Goering

I don't believe I will go to either heaven or hell when I die.

I don't believe in the Bible

258