← In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011

In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011 - Comments

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 1 by -TheCodeCrack-

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it!

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:21:47 UTC | #899396

xsjadolateralus's Avatar Comment 2 by xsjadolateralus

Shame. I actually pity us, the living. We're in so much more trouble than him now.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:22:43 UTC | #899397

palmyra's Avatar Comment 3 by palmyra

Vale to Hitchens - a great thinker and communicator to everyone who listened. He will go down in history as a gentle warrior against myth and malevolent dogma.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:23:51 UTC | #899398

NilsPihl's Avatar Comment 4 by NilsPihl

And with his final act, dying, he finally proves beyond any doubt that there is no god.

You will be greatly missed, remembered and admired.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:24:06 UTC | #899399

Obi wan kolobi's Avatar Comment 5 by Obi wan kolobi

Rip Hitch. I knew this was coming but dreaded it never the less. Damn. =-(

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:24:07 UTC | #899400

MMAtheist's Avatar Comment 6 by MMAtheist

R.I.P. Hitch.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:25:55 UTC | #899401

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 7 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Christopher Hitchens, please Hitchslap God for us. :)

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:26:49 UTC | #899402

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 8 by mirandaceleste

It's so heartbreaking, even when you know it's coming

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:27:27 UTC | #899403

I Deny's Avatar Comment 9 by I Deny

Cheers to hitch, I regret not having a chance to meet.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:27:45 UTC | #899404

Filip's Avatar Comment 10 by Filip

R.I.P. Hitch.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:28:03 UTC | #899405

caseybvdc74's Avatar Comment 11 by caseybvdc74

You can't live forever. He had a hell of a life and I'll always remember him as one of the most independently minded individuals I've ever read.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:30:23 UTC | #899407

Quine's Avatar Comment 12 by Quine

Comment 1 by -TheCodeCrack-
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it!

Exactly how I feel about it. I am so sorry for all humanity's loss.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:30:47 UTC | #899408

Big City's Avatar Comment 13 by Big City

He was an intellectual giant. We're lucky that he was on our side.

RIP Hitch

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:33:10 UTC | #899409

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 14 by Ode2Hitch

Just awoke to this, the worst news....

I'm flying to Ireland today for a work Christmas party - certainly not gong to feel like celebrating.

I will, however, raise a few glasses of Johnnie Walker to Hitch.

Christopher thank you so much, for your influence on my own thinking and for fighting the good fight, right to the end.

Love and respect for the rest of my days - you changed me forever.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:33:22 UTC | #899410

squeegee's Avatar Comment 15 by squeegee

RIP Hitch...oh boy, what a loss.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:37:43 UTC | #899411

Angelrosas999's Avatar Comment 16 by Angelrosas999

Intellectuals lost our hero today. His legacy will live forever. Thanks for inspiring us to do better.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:38:08 UTC | #899412

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 17 by mordacious1

I am very sad. This man, through his oratory and writing, made the world a better place. I will miss him.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:38:13 UTC | #899413

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 18 by InYourFaceNewYorker

All the sentiments you guys are expressing... that's just how I felt when Dr. Kevorkian died on June 3, 2011. I even briefly had tears in my eyes.

I never really followed Christopher Hitchens, but I do have his book God is Not Great. I should probably get around to reading it already!

J.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:38:59 UTC | #899414

Sci Fi's Avatar Comment 19 by Sci Fi

This. Hurts.

And the haters and delusional have already started (see comments after the abc News article).

Condolences and thoughts to his family.

I'm so glad he 'lives' on through his writing.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:42:05 UTC | #899415

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 20 by susanlatimer

The world has lost a great thinker. His words have changed the world and will continue to do so.

I am deeply grateful for his contribution. I'm sure he had so much more to say.

It's a very sad day.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:46:29 UTC | #899417

Eric G's Avatar Comment 21 by Eric G

Terrible news, but we all knew it was inevitable. He will be missed by not only me, but legions of people. His intellect and way of words will live on forever in his books and his lectures.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:47:41 UTC | #899418

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 22 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Comment 19 by Sci Fi :

This. Hurts.

Condolences and thoughts to his family.

I'm so glad he 'lives' on through his writing.

I just read them. Ugh, people are so stupid and don't think. Too bad Christopher Hitchens isn't here to Hitchslap the people who are making those brain dead comments on abc.com. I wonder how long it's going to take for rumors of a deathbed conversion to start. If these rumors start, well... in absence of the Hitchslap, perhaps I can in-your-face-New-York the hell out of these people. Damn, in-your-face-New-Yorking doesn't sound nearly as catchy as Hitchslapping...

When Dr. Kevorkian died there was this huge outcry of idiots who said he was hypocritical for dying on his own in the hospital instead of committing suicide. Oh right, because he owed that to people. Come on! He obviously wasn't ready to die yet! And even before he died and it was announced that he was in the hospital (and expected to recover), people made "pull the plug" jokes as well as, "The only way he's leaving is in a garbage bag." Stupid, stupid, stupid! Oh well. I bet he would have laughed at the people who made the "pull the plug" jokes, that is, at their stupidity for not being able to come up with something better.

Julie

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:51:18 UTC | #899419

Carlinlives's Avatar Comment 23 by Carlinlives

We all knew it was coming but I think we all hoped to hear more from him, since he obviously had so much more to say. Big loss for both sides of the Atlantic. Damn.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:51:53 UTC | #899420

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 24 by Alternative Carpark

Why is it that I feel a greater sadness today than I did when some of my relatives passed away last year?

A terrible loss to the world.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:54:34 UTC | #899421

GregGorey's Avatar Comment 25 by GregGorey

Rest in Peace Hitch.

I am toasting you right now with Johnny Walker Black.

Cheers!

Greg

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:55:33 UTC | #899422

M D Aresteanu's Avatar Comment 26 by M D Aresteanu

This is a sad day. Hitch... you will be missed wether you know it or not.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 06:00:11 UTC | #899423

Glucagon's Avatar Comment 27 by Glucagon

There used to exist a great video of a Hitchens closing argument from a debate. Someone had set it to a very powerful sequence of photographs depicting graphically the tragic content that he was describing. Now I cannot seem to find it, and I'd really like to see it to say goodbye to him. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where it is hosted online?

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 06:06:47 UTC | #899424

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 28 by Laurie Fraser

So it's happened, finally, as we knew it was going to. But it still hurts. He was ours - a brilliant standard-bearer for atheism, reason and justice - and I am the poorer for his passing.

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 06:12:41 UTC | #899426

mmurray's Avatar Comment 29 by mmurray

What a loss for us all. Condolences to his family and many friends.

Michael

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 06:13:41 UTC | #899427

AndyJames's Avatar Comment 30 by AndyJames

I'm sad to hear he will never again thrill with his insight and wit. The appropriately anticlimatic end of a life lived in constant embrace, brilliance, and for loving life lived in light of logic and learning. His clarity will continue to inspire.

Now it is up to us to make our mark for reason. His work will continue to move minds for millenia as long as we are strong enough to keep them from the pyres.

Gentle thoughts to his family, who must be forced to miss him personally.

Farewell Mr. Hitchens.