← Christopher Hitchens Memoirs

Christopher Hitchens Memoirs - Comments

CaptainJonSmith's Avatar Comment 1 by CaptainJonSmith

I came to know Hitch many years after I became an atheist, and the sheer joy I felt in finding a champion for my rights as a nonbeliever was almost palpable. I was waiting for the words of his friend Richard, because I knew you could clearly state what we're all feeling. Thank you.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:44:39 UTC | #900185

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 2 by nancynancy

A very fitting tribute to a singular man.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:47:33 UTC | #900187

BiOFaNaT1C's Avatar Comment 3 by BiOFaNaT1C

Richard,

Thanks for re-posting these words during this difficult period. These sad circumstances seem to breathe new meaning into that speech. I usually don't post comments, but if fans like myself do not post, I fear that ignorant and crass may appear to be a majority.
                                                    Stephanie

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:59:44 UTC | #900190

Obi wan kolobi's Avatar Comment 4 by Obi wan kolobi

Nice article and tribute. Been feeling in a funk all day over his parting, notwithstanding the fact I had never mert him. Luckily, his words like all greatmen of letters will live on long after his parting. In that there is some consolation.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 06:15:58 UTC | #900196

_ThinkingAtheist_'s Avatar Comment 5 by _ThinkingAtheist_

I was really trying hard not to cry when I was reading this article. When I got to the "Farewell..." part though, I couldn't control my tears anymore..

We all love you Christopher. You were indeed the symbol and dignity of atheism. The only difference now, I think, is that now Dawkins is the voice and symbol of atheism. And from the bottom of my heart, I really hope that Dawkins lives for another 20 years. There is no one to replace these two legends..

Farewell, great voice. Great voice of reason, of humanity, of humour. Great voice against cant, against hypocrisy, against obscurantism and pretension, against all tyrants including God. Farewell Hitchens!

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 06:32:57 UTC | #900200

mmurray's Avatar Comment 6 by mmurray

Nice one from the comments

"I heard Christopher Hitchens had a deathbed conversion. He asked for a priest and converted him to atheism."

Michael

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:11:44 UTC | #900205

Chris Boccia's Avatar Comment 7 by Chris Boccia

I'm so glad that his final interview was with Richard Dawkins, though I'm sad he had a final interview. I've been watching videos of him all day and it's not enough to make the pain go away.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:19:26 UTC | #900206

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 8 by Michael Gray

Were it not so crass and syncretic, (perhaps apt: if applied to political outlook, if not the theological), I should be sufficiently bold to venture that we have a new atheist 'saint' to add to the pan-atheon.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:59:45 UTC | #900214

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 9 by drumdaddy

A loving tribute. My condolences on the loss of your close friend.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:40:58 UTC | #900221

Dr. Colossus's Avatar Comment 10 by Dr. Colossus

No one ignited my enthusiasm for non-belief and reason more than Christopher Hitchens. My condolences go to his family and his friends, including Richard Dawkins, whose eloquent obituary moved me to tears. The feeling of loss for him is surely greater than the one I feel.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:46:39 UTC | #900225

Dixiedog's Avatar Comment 11 by Dixiedog

A wonderful tribute, Richard, as eloquent a Hitch.I've noticed some drivel written on the Independent's website about what you've written but to them allow me to paraphrase the poet Robert Hayden:

What do they know, what do they know

Of love's lonely and austere offices?

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:57:44 UTC | #900227

Don Quijote's Avatar Comment 12 by Don Quijote

I see it didn't take long for the "gilipollas" to turn up on the comments at the Independent.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 11:56:14 UTC | #900258

Ruggles1's Avatar Comment 13 by Ruggles1

Hitchens has been an inspiration to me for years. His courage deeply moves me and makes me hope I can one day face death with such dignity.

Has anyone here heard George Galloway's comments on Hitchens? You can listen to them on the second link on this page:

Any thoughts?

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:59:46 UTC | #900288

Bravenewworld's Avatar Comment 14 by Bravenewworld

Christopher Hitchens changed my life. And I thank him for this.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:51:43 UTC | #900312

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 15 by Anonymous

Accidental double posting by Moderator

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:55:01 UTC | #900315

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 16 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:16:15 UTC | #900320

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 17 by rjohn19

Richard- thank you for posting this. Words fail most of us on occasions such as this. They seldom fail you and never failed Hitch.

I loved the comments about stridency, though most of us should be cautious: stridency without wit and humor is merely shrill and the tone can obscure the words and misrepresent the underlying ideas.

Hitch and you have put new faces on our intellectual currency and there is no doubt it is working. The face of my youth was Madalyn Murray O'Hair, who legally changed some behaviors but won no hearts or minds. How far we have come...

We have lost our star quarterback so here's hoping the rest of the team can step it up a notch or two.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:16:54 UTC | #900321

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 18 by kaiserkriss

Great tribute Richard- Thank you. You have lifted my spirits since hearing of Christopher's death. The world has lost a great intellect.jcw

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:18:39 UTC | #900322

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 19 by prettygoodformonkeys

Comment 13 by jdcastro

You are patently and obviously wrong.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:21:08 UTC | #900323

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 20 by Rich Wiltshir

Today I received a message from my sister; "...sorry to hear about your friend, life is cruel."

I'm a guy who reads books, watches YouTube and goes to humanist, athiest and secular meetings. I confront street preachers and cold callers. I tell the world that I don't react well to lies. Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, Dilahunty and many others have equipped me.

My selfish grief for a friend I never met is miniscule compared to that for a friend and colleague, compared to a brother, compared to that of a wife or daughter, grandchild....

Hitch was one great general in the growing army of peace and reason. Onward and upward is more certain thanks to the way he helped us equip ourselves.

A great man is no more, but the world's a better place for the time he spent in it.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:29:11 UTC | #900326

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 21 by Premiseless

Handing him a first edition of Hitch 22, hand involuntarily trembling, mouth dry,

"Thank you for changing the way I think!"

"That's the kindest thing you could say to me."

And a look in his eye of inquiry lost, as if he'd occasioned many a conversation ill served the time and circumstance.

(My only, briefly personal, encounter with the maestro!)

A month later his illness was announced.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 16:03:32 UTC | #900332

JLIVES25's Avatar Comment 22 by JLIVES25

Although not even proven to exist, love best describes feelings towards Christopher.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:00:06 UTC | #900361

BenGrimm's Avatar Comment 23 by BenGrimm

Feel entirely free to profit from the collection I've been maintaining since the news broke. The links are on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106166434029666510237/posts/fFLFW95Sei2 and on my weblog: http://weblog.bengrimm.net/?p=1394. No need to do it twice ;)

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:09:30 UTC | #900366

markg's Avatar Comment 24 by markg

If you need a good laugh, check the Vanity Fair photo collection. In the description at pic 10, see the 3rd grayed link for an hilarious essay from Hitch.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:23:44 UTC | #900429

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 25 by Cartomancer

I can't say I ever met Christopher Hitchens. I've seen a number of his recorded lectures and debates, and I've read some of his articles and one of his books - god is not great, it will be no surprise to learn. I am now reminded of the time I read that book. I bought it a couple of months after it had come out, and it was the only book I had with me in my bag when circumstances conspired to strand me alone all night on the platform of Thames Ditton railway station on a chilly November night in 2007. Christopher's engaging style and stock of interesting anecdotes, bon mots and allusions quite banished all need for sleep or warmth from me that night, as I ploughed through chapter after chapter by the light of the electronic announcement sign. By the time morning came I simply had to share the book with my colleagues and all the students I was teaching at the time. I never did get the thing back, but I don't mind - books like that one deserve to be shared round as widely as possible.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:41:05 UTC | #900432

bigwullie862000's Avatar Comment 26 by bigwullie862000

In one of CH's debates he suggested that if a certain man took an enema you could later bury him in a matchbox. With George Galloway he wouldn't even need a matchbox.

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:59:38 UTC | #900439

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 27 by I'm_not

Comment 24 by markg :

I know what your avatar is you naughty person...

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:24:10 UTC | #900449

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

Comment 27 by I'm_not

I know what your avatar is you naughty person...

It's a vast difference ;-) from yours.
Steve

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 03:10:07 UTC | #900514

Enders's Avatar Comment 29 by Enders

Comment 26 by bigwullie862000 :

He was talking about Jerry Falwell there.

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 06:33:00 UTC | #900539

Enders's Avatar Comment 30 by Enders

I am actually at a complete loss of words. I wasn't expecting to see this when I thought this morning: " I haven't been around Richard Dawkins' website for quite some time now. Let's go there now."

I just want to agree with Stephen Fry. If Mr. Hitchens is in Hell, I want a front row seat in all his debates there. Because that is what he would be doing there, if it wasn't all made up bullshit.

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 06:38:37 UTC | #900540