← Finding reason in the season

Finding reason in the season - Comments

Obi wan kolobi's Avatar Comment 1 by Obi wan kolobi

Nice article. I find the time around the solstice as a time of reflection, to re-order priorities and to feel a sense of gratitude for those who have contributed to my life. I don't need God belief to have this reflection, in fact I think it is clearer and more direct to do without God. Instead of thanking God for those whose contributions I value, I can go straight to the source.

God has not blessed me, but my family and friends sure have. During the cold, dark winter days, it is helpful to remember them and look for ways to contribute to the lives of others. That is how I find reason in the season. Best regards.

Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:07:51 UTC | #901796

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

Ti's the season to be rational! Ti's the season to be reasonable!

I will have to work on that opening.!

Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:50:32 UTC | #901806

dbl_blnd's Avatar Comment 3 by dbl_blnd

"stationary sun"?

Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:55:22 UTC | #901809

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 4 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator - spam

Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:25:08 UTC | #901817

Stella's Avatar Comment 5 by Stella

That was a beautiful article. I am so glad I read it. This is what the season means to me, too. Thanks, RD.net!

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:56:43 UTC | #901828

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 6 by rjohn19

Nice work Herb. I hope we'll meet one day to swap war stories. We battle in the same state but the gulf between us is vast.

Charleston reminds me of the BBC sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances." It's more about proper form down there. Here in the Upstate, it's about the dogma.

I celebrate Xmas by taking a day in late December to spoil my grandson rotten- and if he only got 8 gifts, I believe the little heathen would go into culture shock.

Tomorrow, we are expected to hit 70 degrees up here and I expect more for you in the Lowcountry. So if I am tempted to thank anyone this season, it will be Al Gore to whom I already owe so much for the Internet (now, let's see- just where is that button I use to create my sarcasm font?)

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 05:08:18 UTC | #901853

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 7 by Stafford Gordon

It's winging its way to all and sundry.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:16:27 UTC | #901887

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 8 by drumdaddy

Peace to Bill Upshur. Happy Solstice to all.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:18:48 UTC | #901957

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 9 by aquilacane

If you feel you have to find reason in the season, you've forgotten that you are not actually required to celebrate anything at all during periods of statutory time off.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:39:31 UTC | #901964

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 10 by TeraBrat

Comment 3 by dbl_blnd :

"stationary sun"? Sorry to be picky here, but there is evidence that the sun moves at on the order of 20 km/sec through the local interstellar medium, not even to mention the milky way's arm's motion that the sun participates in etc. :)

Stationary relative to the earth.

After all, everything is relative ;-)

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:49:11 UTC | #901968

Gnu Atheist's Avatar Comment 11 by Gnu Atheist

Look, in order to maintain airspeed velocity, a swallow has to beat it's wings 43 times a second, right?

Am I right?

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:05:03 UTC | #901994

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 12 by Alan4discussion

Comment 11 by Gnu Atheist

Actually, wrong. By comparing the European Swallow with bird species of similar body mass, we can estimate that the swallow beats its wings 18 times a second with an amplitude of 18 cm:

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:07:37 UTC | #902004

PERSON's Avatar Comment 13 by PERSON

Comment 6 by rjohn19

it will be Al Gore to whom I already owe so much for the Internet

Um, actually you do. He pushed through legislation to fund the development of the infrastructure of the internet by the US government. He was quite proud of this, which got warped into him saying he invented it. He never said that, but it's got a ring to it, so it's been repeated over and over again that he did. Despite that, it's still not something he said or claimed in any way. (no need for a sarcasm font, deadpan is better, IMO)

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:22:52 UTC | #902015

Universeman's Avatar Comment 14 by Universeman

I am so glad that Christmas is in fact a pagan holiday, and how ironic is it that Christians complain because the holiday is becoming too secular and that it is losing its true meaning!

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 05:23:27 UTC | #902124

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 15 by Philoctetes

I have gathered together some Hitchslaps and other quotes into a document which I will print, divide and then insert into Christmas crackers. Why read a lame joke when you can ponder an insight of a great but sadly no longer productive mind. Just a small tribute tinged with a bit of atheo-evangelism.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:54:14 UTC | #902248

Corylus's Avatar Comment 16 by Corylus

Happy Yule, boys and girls.

A special thank you to those who have taught me new things over this year. Knowledge, as ever, the best of gifts - by virtue of being so freely given.

Sun, 25 Dec 2011 11:34:18 UTC | #902605