← Scientists buzz Simon Cowell for promoting pseudoscience

Scientists buzz Simon Cowell for promoting pseudoscience - Comments

wdbailey's Avatar Comment 1 by wdbailey

I'm not entirely sure why this article headlined with Simon Cowell's vitamin shots. Everything that followed on was much, much worse.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:19:35 UTC | #903281

Save me jebuz!'s Avatar Comment 2 by Save me jebuz!

I'd have thought that would've suited snooki perfectly. Boy have I misjudged her (it?).

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:20:29 UTC | #903283

Dixiedog's Avatar Comment 3 by Dixiedog

Not only does Cowell inflict his mindless shite music upon gullible minds, he inflicts his shite ideas about vitamins. What a tool! Had an argument recently with someone who claimed that red meat stays in the bowel for five years. I asked her if she had carbon dated her stools to back up her claims. Obviously she just stared at me blankly. These so called celebs have got a great deal to answer for. Ah, come the revolution...

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:23:43 UTC | #903284

Sample's Avatar Comment 4 by Sample

You feel all the vitamins going through you. (Cowell)

Why not just feel the existence of neutrinos? Plenty of them going right through you too and likely with more benefits for doing so, I might add.

Mike

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:24:00 UTC | #903286

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 5 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Cowell also has colonic irrigation. Orally.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:31:44 UTC | #903287

Sensible's Avatar Comment 6 by Sensible

Comment 5 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Cowell also has colonic irrigation. Orally.

Or in other words, Oral diarrhea.

I guess there is always money to be made from the gullible masses by Snake-Oil salesmen.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:56:23 UTC | #903292

Eyerish's Avatar Comment 7 by Eyerish

How did Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi find out that whale sperm is salty?

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:58:33 UTC | #903293

Metamag's Avatar Comment 8 by Metamag

Comment 7 by Eyerish :

How did Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi find out that whale sperm is salty?

Snooki want smoosh smoosh

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:37:04 UTC | #903301

achromat666's Avatar Comment 9 by achromat666

Rather than going with my gut response of "who cares what you celebidiots think you solipsitsic @#$#%*&'s" I'll just say that It's bad enough that celebrities are still a major source of product endorsement since they're seldom ever experts or even users of what they're pushing.

It's refreshing to see scientist actually putting the facts out there, but it's not going to change the common celebrity perception of what ridiculous ideas they'll accept and apply. And you thought theists were gullible...

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:04:07 UTC | #903305

JuJu's Avatar Comment 10 by JuJu

Simon Cowell believes he can look and feel young by taking an intravenous cocktail of vitamins C, B12 and magnesium: "It's an incredibly warm feeling … You feel all the vitamins going through you. It's very calming."

Classic placebo. He expects to feel something because the people who talked him into this crap convinced him that he would.

The Mormon missionaries should give him a visit, he sounds gullible enough to fall for their crap too. They claim that if you think of something stressful or concerning in your life, and then pray to Jesus, you'll feel a warm, calming fuzzy feeling in your gut.

The power of suggestion can fool the mind, causing an override that distorts reality.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:44:52 UTC | #903313

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 11 by Agrajag

Comment 7 by Eyerish

How did Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi find out that whale sperm is salty?

Give the poor girl credit... she generated a testable hypothesis, and probably would be willing to do the research... O_o

In other PseudoScience News, at a family gathering on Christmas day, one of my relatives was serving wine from a bottle equipped with a WINE CLIP MAGNET. The claim:

"Simply pouring a glass with the Wine Clip in place has an immediate and salutary effect on wine molecules. The power of the Neodymium magnets both breaks down large astringent tannins, and accelerates aeration — much like decanting — resulting in a smoother, softer and more balanced taste. The improvement is obvious, easily verified, and improves flavor and bouquet as you pour!"

She told me that it worked, because she had "tested it"... and got huffy when I asked if it was a blind test with multiple samples and multiple tasters. >sigh<
Steve

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:59:50 UTC | #903316

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 12 by Tyler Durden

Comment 7 by Eyerish :

How did Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi find out that whale sperm is salty?

Day trip to SeaWorld?

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:14:04 UTC | #903321

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 13 by Alan4discussion

After Charlie's quackology , it's good to see Camilla giving some good advice!

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who had warned of the potentially damaging consequences of dieting: "A whole generation of young women could be affected," said the Duchess. "What particularly concerns me is the rise of osteoporosis in young people and its link with eating disorders." Dietitian Sian Porter said the Duchess was on a sound footing: "During childhood and early adulthood bones develop their strength. Therefore it is very important to strengthen bones in the first 30 years of life to 'stockpile' calcium and other minerals.

Has he looked in the mirror lately before putting on his screen make-up????

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:15:55 UTC | #903322

mach1's Avatar Comment 14 by mach1

to be honest i've seen videos of 2011 american x factor with Simon Cowell and to me what he claim is vitamins is clearly Botox. Just open a recent video on youtube and look around his eyes.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:33:04 UTC | #903325

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 15 by fuzzylogic

Comment 1 by wdbailey :

Yes, I totally agree. Not being an expert in nutrition or medicine, I didn't even understand why an injection of vitamins would be as useless as it apparently is until reading the article, and even then it's just "going overboard" not total BS.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:28:53 UTC | #903366

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 16 by Neodarwinian

Why is Camilla well informed when her husband us such an ignorant twit?

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:42:48 UTC | #903382

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 17 by Schrodinger's Cat

I take Polizzi's claims about whale sperm with a pinch of salt.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 22:31:54 UTC | #903404

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 18 by SomersetJohn

I have to say Camilla has risen somewhat in my estimation. Not that far to be honest, but it's a start.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:02:30 UTC | #903416

gordon's Avatar Comment 19 by gordon

I wonder what Camilla thinks about her husbands homeopathy and woo tinctures sold by the Duchey at great expense?

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:04:53 UTC | #903417

Reckless Monkey's Avatar Comment 20 by Reckless Monkey

If I were being pedantic (which was my first instinct) then I'd ask "Where does Snooki think the salt in Whale sperm came from?", however I'm pretty sure this is a joke (but as I have no idea who Snooki is I could be wrong). It does bring to mind the general ignorance of most people of most things of course there is whale sperm in sea water (very dilute mind) but it must be there. It should be dilute enough to make some sort of homeopathic contraceptive or something. But if water has memory and is more powerful the more dilute it is then it should be a cure for absolutely everything.

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:26:56 UTC | #903420

Hugh023's Avatar Comment 21 by Hugh023

Simon's younger than me by about 3 years, has an income that would support a personal trainer, in house dietician and probably uses a truck load of products in his hair and on his face. I don't think he looks that good and I'd pit myself against him on youthful appearance and on a bicycle ride of 20+K any day . . .

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 02:42:51 UTC | #903448

Eyerish's Avatar Comment 22 by Eyerish

Well I guess that Snookie will appear in an adult version of 'Free Willy' - 'Free Willy 4 - taste of the ocean'.

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:10:42 UTC | #903497

Corylus's Avatar Comment 23 by Corylus

Well at least he didn't claim that it does wonders for the personality.

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:40:19 UTC | #903547

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 24 by Functional Atheist

I'm pretty sure Snooki is contractually obligated to say stupid things. It is a big part of her schtick. The whale sperm comment sounds calculated to me--she is trying to be cute, she is trying to be funny.

Perhaps I'm giving her more credit than she deserves, but I think including her among sincere celebrity stupidity is to play directly into her spray-tanned hands.

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:36:22 UTC | #903623

Blondin's Avatar Comment 25 by Blondin

"... Unfortunately this is not the case with many celebrities who give advice based on their personal opinions rather than being evidence-based, or recycle poor advice given to them by unqualified self-styled 'gurus'."

Like Dr. Oz.

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:00:44 UTC | #903626

alf1200's Avatar Comment 26 by alf1200

Whale sperm is the reason? I laughed my ass off when I read that!

Snookie is really funny. I mean "wooo hooooo" put me away funny.(crazy)

Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:23:32 UTC | #903668