← Cee Lo Green Changes 'Imagine' Lyrics To 'All Religions' From John Lennon's 'No Religion'

Cee Lo Green Changes 'Imagine' Lyrics To 'All Religions' From John Lennon's 'No Religion' - Comments

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 1 by Andrew B.

Yo, what a dick, yo.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:18:54 UTC | #904247

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 2 by kaiserkriss

And so it begins- in the not too distant future the religious will have persuaded the rest of the world those ARE the true lyrics. No disrespect "See Hoe Green" jcw

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:28:37 UTC | #904252

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 3 by Jos Gibbons

Green changed the lyrics from "Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too" to "Nothing to kill or die for, And all religion's true." The change didn't go unnoticed, and to preempt criticism, he soon tweeted, "Yo I meant no disrespect by changing the lyric guys! I was trying to say a world were u could believe what u wanted that's all."

To say we may all believe as we want isn't to say our beliefs are true, as implied in the revised lyrics (which don't serve the rest of the message the song has). "All religion's true" my foot. Either Jesus is the son of God, in which case Muslims are wrong, or he's not, in which case Christians are wrong. Now, pick your poison. (Then repeat with countless other examples.)

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:30:10 UTC | #904253

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

I had never before heard of Cee Lo Green, but I am filled with contempt for this mealy-mouthed piece of bowdlerisation. He also, by the way, turns out to be a rotten singer with a fake vibrato, and his tweet reveals him to be illiterate: "Yo I meant no disrespect by changing the lyric guys! I was trying to say a world were u could believe what u wanted that's all."

This is not the first such castration of John Lennon's powerfully anti-religious song. Another version changed 'And no religion too', to 'And one religion too', which at least makes sense (albeit bad sense), unlike Cee Lo Green's version, which makes no sense at all. How can there be an imagined world where all religion is true?

Richard

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:31:31 UTC | #904255

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 5 by prettygoodformonkeys

Hey Cee Lo, I saw you drivin round town with the girl that I love, and guess what...?

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:44:02 UTC | #904260

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 6 by Border Collie

Idiot.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:48:38 UTC | #904264

some asshole's Avatar Comment 7 by some asshole

I used to appreciate him for the song of his titled Fuck You, but now, I have no respect for him whatsoever. And his response is ludicrous. Comment 5 nails it.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:50:59 UTC | #904265

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 8 by Border Collie

Well, think about it ... Cee Lo Green gave us permission to believe what we want. Wasn't that nice of him? At 61 it was great to finally be able to think what I want.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:52:59 UTC | #904266

tembuki's Avatar Comment 9 by tembuki

I think he'd have to change more than just that line for it to really fit with the rest of the song.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:59:19 UTC | #904268

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 10 by Fouad Boussetta

Yo, fuck you, yo.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:03:35 UTC | #904269

I'm_not's Avatar Comment 11 by I'm_not

Frank Sinatra changed the lyric of Mrs. Robinson from "Jesus loves you more than you can know" to "Jenny loves you..." which was odd but set a precedent.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:05:55 UTC | #904270

The Babel Fish's Avatar Comment 12 by The Babel Fish

Ok, this has got me mad.

Normally if I post on this site, I do so as an atheist, a humanist, a rationalist, an interested observer, whatever. Tonight is different. I take this personally. I write as a musician.

Now we are always hearing from the religious about respect. Respect for their beliefs. Their traditions. Their scriptures. Their irrational notions and biases. We should respect, apparently, the views of illiterate goat herders because they are ancient.

Well what about us? The musicians? We who have entertained you, warmed your nights and brightened your days, since a time before language and, hence, religion? Are we not entitled to a little bit of fucking respect here? A bit of respect for the (very carefully chosen) words of our Bard and Maestro John Lennon?

I am deeply and personally offended by this. Do atheists go around misquoting scriptures for our own ends? Do musicians? No! So don't bloody well do it to us! If you want respect, first you have to give it, so have a bit of respect for our profession. It's older than your religion, and I'll wager any amount you like it has been a greater force for good in the world!

As for this blasphemer, he has forever forfieted the respect of his peers. He's out of the union.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:06:59 UTC | #904272

Missus Gumby's Avatar Comment 13 by Missus Gumby

Please don't delete this post - I'm am only making a point.

Can you imagine an atheist (say, me) going on Songs of Praise and changing the words to a Christian hymn? For example:

Onward, Christian paedophiles, Marching as to war. With the cock of Jebus, Up a boy of four.

...there would be total outrage wouldn't there? In the press, on the radio and TV. To me, what this Cee Lo Green has done to Lennon's wonderful song is just as disgusting. The only difference is that he will most certainly get away with it, and I wouldn't have.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:19:38 UTC | #904279

some asshole's Avatar Comment 14 by some asshole

...And he really does sound like shit, doesn't he?

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:19:54 UTC | #904280

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 15 by fuzzylogic

It miffed me slightly but honestly I don't really care that much. Change lyrics all you want it only brings attention to the original.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:19:55 UTC | #904281

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 16 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:28:14 UTC | #904282

ColdThinker's Avatar Comment 17 by ColdThinker

In the European Union, where artists still have some rights over producers and record companies, such a despicable thing is not only in bad taste, but also illegal. Unlike the US, there exists the "droit moral", which means the original artist or the creator of an art work has certain moral rights to the content, no matter who has bought the rights to make money on the piece. These moral rights are inalienable and can't be sold. This aims to protect the artistic content from inappropriate use, such as using it for undesirable political or immoral purposes.

This rewording is offensive both politically and morally. Turning the original meaning of the lyrics of a famous song upside down this arrogantly is clearly illegal. I've heard the UK follows the US and cares less about the moral rights of artists, but the rest of the EU does respect the droit moral.

So, if this idiot ever performs the song in a mainland EU country, the Lennon family should sue the bastard. If it was my song, I would (...yeah, I know, keep dreaming...).

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:29:28 UTC | #904283

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 18 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:32:15 UTC | #904285

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 19 by Richard Dawkins

I am happy to say that Cee Lo Green (whoever he may be) is getting crucified by the commenters on YouTube too.

Richard

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:33:33 UTC | #904286

Quine's Avatar Comment 20 by Quine

One of the most powerful things to keep reminding people, is that while not all religions could be true, they can all be false (as noted by Richard, above). Attempts to fool one's self (or anyone else) to the contrary should not be encouraged.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:34:10 UTC | #904287

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 21 by Ignorant Amos

Well, he really murdered the song big time...whichever lyrics he used.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:39:03 UTC | #904289

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 22 by Stafford Gordon

When I was an infant I wanted to live in a world where you could believe anything you wanted, - but gradually I have matured! And guess what...

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:39:24 UTC | #904290

evotruth's Avatar Comment 23 by evotruth

Comment 19 by Richard Dawkins :

Richard

Speaking of YouTube, this is a very emotional version of the song.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:44:56 UTC | #904293

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 24 by QuestioningKat

This brings up a whole conversation about copyright law...

Anyway that small change completely changes the intention of the lyrics and is disrespectful to the spirit in which Lennon created the song. Yet, he earns an income higher than probably most ( if not all) of us.

Anyway, Kathy Griffin cracks me up.

Evotruth, thanks for the link. Hard to keep the tears back.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:49:24 UTC | #904294

Moderator's Avatar Comment 25 by Moderator

Mods' message

We don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but may we remind users that this is meant to be a site for rational, intelligent discussion!

The Mods

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:55:39 UTC | #904296

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 26 by QuestioningKat

Happy New Year's Mods. Have a drink on us!

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:01:30 UTC | #904301

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 27 by Ignorant Amos

Cee Lo Green is taking a bashing on his own Facebook fan page....he going to regret this major 'faux pas'.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:02:06 UTC | #904302

Free2011's Avatar Comment 28 by Free2011

I'm encouraged that it was not only recognized but that has angered so many people. Although an idiotic statement since all religions can't be true. It is either one or none as far as the one true religion.

I hope this doesn't get barried by the media rather gets legs and generates open discussions.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:11:41 UTC | #904303

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 29 by Ignorant Amos

Singing about renouncing possessions last night with a million dollar watch on....sound like anyone else we know?

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:15:56 UTC | #904304

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 30 by Apathy personified

Forget this guy (I believe he has a song suggesting just this...).

Here is a proper cover of 'Imagine' - live in Hyde Park and performed by Queen and Paul Rodgers. This gig was going to be on the 8th July 2005, but had to be postponed until the 15th due to the terrorist attack in London. As someone in the audience at the front, this was easily the best gig i've ever been to.

Roger Taylor makes a specific point when he sings 'NO religions'

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:17:44 UTC | #904305