← War, Famine, Pestilence...Richard Dawkins - What Sort Of God...

War, Famine, Pestilence...Richard Dawkins - What Sort Of God... - Comments

dbunker's Avatar Comment 1 by dbunker

The sort that never existed?

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:39:57 UTC | #906043

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 2 by potteryshard

The same sort that requires his highest acolytes to wear funny hats?

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:41:20 UTC | #906044

Broncos_Ateapotist's Avatar Comment 3 by Broncos_Ateapotist

well said dbunker

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:42:05 UTC | #906045

Wokkie's Avatar Comment 4 by Wokkie

He's on to something.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:48:17 UTC | #906052

The Jersey Devil's Avatar Comment 5 by The Jersey Devil

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:52:32 UTC | #906053

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 6 by Luke_B

The one as described in the Old Testament? (Apart from the Dawkins part I suppose. Richard is the outlier I admit. Fearless, rational defender of truth? Certainly doesn't fit the vibe as I remember)

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:14:37 UTC | #906061

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 7 by Sjoerd Westenborg

One with a sadism-sanity ratio of 3:1 I suppose.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:39:59 UTC | #906070

The Peak Oil Poet's Avatar Comment 8 by The Peak Oil Poet

maybe God is a sadist?

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:44:50 UTC | #906072

Sarge's Avatar Comment 9 by Sarge

very cool comic....

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:53:41 UTC | #906073

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 10 by Alan4discussion

A god of gaps wasn't it?
Famine - a gap in food supplies, and over population.
Pestilence - dependence on "faith" (+faith healing) leaving a gap in medical advice and services. (Especially condoms in Africa)
War - some fellow called MARS wasn't it?

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 21:58:36 UTC | #906074

Quine's Avatar Comment 11 by Quine

Comment 8 by The Peak Oil Poet:
maybe God is a sadist?

It is the obvious solution to the Theodicy problem. However, the religious generally don't like that one.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:07:09 UTC | #906075

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 12 by Jos Gibbons

I thought these comics were meant to be topical. Has Dawkins recently done something theologically worrying?

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:14:37 UTC | #906077

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 13 by Cook@Tahiti

Theologians never worry about these things, as they have an infinite variety of confabulated & obscurantist answers for any challenge.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:31:02 UTC | #906079

Lauren127's Avatar Comment 14 by Lauren127

Hah! I once asked my Catholic landlord what made him so sure that God was good and not bad; look at his track record. I swear, the look on his face could never be duplicated and I worried for a while he might evict me!

I don't know how the war, famine, pain, suffering issue doesn't sway more of the faithful out of their collective stupor.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:31:49 UTC | #906080

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 15 by Cartomancer

I forget who it was that first said it now, but my favourite formulation is along the lines of "just look around you. This world really does not belong on the resume of a supreme being".

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:25:11 UTC | #906086

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 16 by Mrkimbo

Not just a sadist, sadomasochist.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:27:36 UTC | #906088

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 17 by MAJORPAIN

Keep up the good work Richard! You've got'em running scared!

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:33:39 UTC | #906090

some asshole's Avatar Comment 18 by some asshole

You really need to stand back and appreciate the intense stupidity outlined by this comic. This really is--as we all know--the kind of thing that religionists defend. We all know the nonsense and my point isn't to go into it (god works in mysterious ways, there needs to be evil so you know what "good" is, free will, yada yada). My point is how incredibly annoying it is to watch people put the belief first--up, way, way up on a pedestal--and then do whatever mental gymnastics are required to keep it up there. Putting the belief first and doing whatever is required to keep it in place afterward is so utterly idiotic it drives me insane.

I know this kind of misses the point, but it just reminded me. Sorry...

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:53:02 UTC | #906096

StephenH's Avatar Comment 19 by StephenH

Get on top of your fitness, and do jogging

Need to outrun those church vans, when they decide to go after us

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:55:01 UTC | #906097

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 20 by Mr DArcy

The God worshipped by William Lane Craig.

The Jewish carpenter, who was so holy He smited a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season! The same carpenter, who with a wave of His hand could have wafted 10 trillion fruit bearing trees into existence, should it so have pleased Him.

The same carpenter who overturned the tables in the temple, just so He could could get the job of making new ones!

The same carpenter whose attitude towards the 30,000 children who die every day of poverty related issues, is "turn the other cheek".

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:57:05 UTC | #906099

Quine's Avatar Comment 21 by Quine

Mr DArcy, where are you getting this "carpenter" stuff?

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 00:12:08 UTC | #906102

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 22 by rod-the-farmer

re Quine

You know, I may be alone, but any time I see that word I think it really should be spelled theo-idiocy.

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 00:35:31 UTC | #906108

Sara25's Avatar Comment 23 by Sara25

Comment 22 by rod-the-farmer :

re Quine

I always mentally pronounce it that way when I read the word. To the point where I forget, it isn't pronounced that way, haha.

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 01:29:50 UTC | #906113

DLJ's Avatar Comment 24 by DLJ

Comment 5 by The Jersey Devil :

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

... which made me think...

What difference would it make (not in terms of outcome but in terms of legal status and therefore influence) if we could get religious organisations classified as NGOs?

Any thoughts?

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 05:56:59 UTC | #906150

Matrix7's Avatar Comment 25 by Matrix7

Comment 12 by Jos Gibbons :

He exists - "god" doesn't. That's what worries them.

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 08:47:43 UTC | #906166

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 26 by Alan4discussion

Comment 5 by The Jersey Devil :

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

True! - But science is a "testable prediction" organization!

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:09:18 UTC | #906169

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 27 by drumdaddy

Laugh if you like but make no mistake, Atheism portends wholesale disaster for those in the god business. In the past, heretics were tortured and murdered due to this 'catastrophic' threat to the charlatans. But now, absent societal sanction (in most cases) of draconian punishment, and in light of Atheists' very recent capabilities of banding together via the internet, the robed liars see stern and overdue castigations heading their way. Pestilence indeed! It's time to kick robe, and expect dirty turf-protecting tactics in return. It's ON.

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:29:45 UTC | #906178

.'s Avatar Comment 28 by .

Comment 15 by Cartomancer :

It was George Carlin in "You are All Diseased":

"War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is NOT good work. If this is the best god can do, I am NOT impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently run universe, this guy would have been out on his all-powerful-ass a long time ago.!"

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:18:11 UTC | #906189

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 29 by Mr DArcy

Comment 21 by Quine

Mr DArcy, where are you getting this "carpenter" stuff?

Well if you have to nail me down, there's this vice joint where the religios meet up to screw and chisel each other. I'm sure you know the drill!

Unlike Lawrence Krauss, who can get a universe from "nothing", Jesus has this heavenly carpentry shop where every ebola virus and e. coli bacteria is lovingly hand made.

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:22:06 UTC | #906190

.'s Avatar Comment 30 by .

Comment 29 by Mr DArcy :

Is it in the astral plane?

Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:25:53 UTC | #906192