← Sir Salman Rushdie facing threats of Muslim reprisals over Jaipur Literature Festival appearance

Sir Salman Rushdie facing threats of Muslim reprisals over Jaipur Literature Festival appearance - Comments

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 1 by strangebrew

No clearer sign that the meme of religion is hurting and losing the plot.

Panic throughout the different cults is climbing to a creshendo. Xianity is riven with self doubt and now the hysteria is leaking into Islam.

The skin deep meme scratches easily and bleeds copiously, because reality is encroaching and there is no answer or tactic beyond violence and claiming insult upon insult. Used to this extent the religious of every brand are showing themselves for what that are, unsure, frightened and thick as pig shit.

The attacks in Nigeria are just symptomatic of fear and ignorant religious brain farts... When in doubt attack the competition. And the cartoon fiasco in Denmark along with recent dummy spitting at Jesus & Mo reveal just how sensitive the wound actually is..it will not heal...it is festering.

Religion kills...it is what it does because 'feelological' thuggery is not 'fistikated'...it is primal, tribal and egotistic...it has thus always been so!

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:15:31 UTC | #907171

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 2 by Nunbeliever

Its vice chancellor said tens of millions of muslims remain 'hurt' the novel.

I doubt very few muslims have even read the book.... and even if they are offended. SO FUCKING WHAT! I am sick of tired of fucking bigots forcing their bronze age myths upon others!

This is anecdotal, but it works for me. I have never met a single deeply religious person who was not a total hypocrite and in general a very unpleasant character!

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:53:27 UTC | #907176

DaveUK9xx's Avatar Comment 3 by DaveUK9xx

Oh boo hoo. He said nasty things about your pet invisible sky pixie. So fucking what morons. Grow up and get a life. If everyone who'd had nasty things said about them went out and killed the person who'd said them there wouldn't be any of us left.

Is there anything so intolerant as religion? I can't think of anything else that people get so worked up about and it's even more insane given that all religions are just inventions of man with no shred of reality attached to them.

Two council estate blokes wiv their birds (ok two religious nutters with their invisible sky pixies) in a bar.

"Oi! You lookin' at my god?"

"Might have glanced at her. So what?"

"I'll fuckin' ave you mate."

"Yeah? You and oos fuckin' army?"

"Leave it Ahmad. Ee ain't worf it." (chorus from the sensible bystanders)

"Go orn, glass the fucker Raheesh. Ee dissed your god." (chorus from the idiots)

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:30:48 UTC | #907184

wolfhoundGrowl's Avatar Comment 4 by wolfhoundGrowl

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:38:35 UTC | #907185

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 5 by drumdaddy

Sal is welcome to stay here as my honored guest anytime. He'll like the waterfalls.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:00:48 UTC | #907189

Hellboy2's Avatar Comment 6 by Hellboy2

'....tens of millions of muslims remain 'hurt' the novel.' (sic)

Tens of millions of muslims are constantly waiting to be 'hurt' over the slightest comment regarding their emotionally fragile god.

It's been over 20 years since the publication of Satanic Verses and, as has already been pointed out (Nunbeliever comment 2), I doubt ANY of the younger generation have even read it. Once again they are being told what to be offended by and the fires of discord are being fanned by the zealots and fanatics.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:01:02 UTC | #907190

NormanDunbar's Avatar Comment 7 by NormanDunbar

I've said it before and no doubt will (have to) say it again, but ...

Before you start whinging about blasphemy you have to prove beyond all possible doubt that your alleged god(s) exist. Until then, shut the f*ck up. Sigh.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:17:11 UTC | #907194

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:18:41 UTC | #907195

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 9 by Steve Zara

This is astonishingly silly. These Muslims are doing Islam itself no favours by making it look like a belief system that reduces adults to sulky children. I suggest it also questions the strength of their faith - would someone who truly believed act so vulnerable?

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:31:54 UTC | #907202

Sample's Avatar Comment 10 by Sample

I live in an area populated with brown and black bears which means I am not at the top of the food chain when I take a hike in the woods. Obviously, there are do's and don'ts around these animals that one learns quickly.

But the most important rule, in my opinion, is to realize that sometimes animal behavior is not predictable no matter one's experience or education about a particular species. Avoidance of, rather than reaction to, danger is the goal for any hike I take. Simple enough.

When I read stories about religious people, like this one, I picture myself on a trail with bears being just around the bend or behind a fallen tree.

Mike

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:59:37 UTC | #907213

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 11 by AtheistEgbert

Freedom of speech and thought are of fundamental importance.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:04:09 UTC | #907214

Celtic Atheist's Avatar Comment 12 by Celtic Atheist

I'm sure I heard it said that Ian Paisley (or perhaps it was Ulster Unionists generally) "would travel 20 miles to be outraged".

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:36 UTC | #907216

Graxan's Avatar Comment 13 by Graxan

What is blasphemous is the act of sanctioning a hit on a writer. Lets compare moralities shall we islamic world?...sigh.

Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins

The ones that possibly compare and spring immediately to mind, and I say this carefully, is the hyper offense taking by certain groups on state benefits whose position when questioned become highly defensive, and also a portion of disabled people. Although the latter is likely a reaction to abusive experiences from society.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:16:28 UTC | #907219

Carlinlives's Avatar Comment 14 by Carlinlives

Salman's book sales will certainly improve. Thanks fanatics!

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:28:39 UTC | #907220

Carlinlives's Avatar Comment 15 by Carlinlives

Comment 2 by Nunbeliever :

Its vice chancellor said tens of millions of muslims remain 'hurt' the novel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's not anecdotal. It's logical. The two are interdependent.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:31:32 UTC | #907223

Carlinlives's Avatar Comment 16 by Carlinlives

Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins :

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One similar--though by no means identical-- phenomenon is the American right's preoccupation with the "liberal media". They are constantly on the lookout for anything to fit that made-up narrative, and often concoct idiotic conspiracy theories to add to it. And they then become offended by their own delusions. (The latest being the White House Halloween Party story cooked up by Limbaugh). That these right wing cherry pickers are almost all deeply religious is probably not a coincidence.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:37:46 UTC | #907224

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 17 by Premiseless

Comment 12 by Celtic Atheist :

This is a critical point. Of those 'doing well' due religion, it's as if they get even more salivation and blood thirst in their throats at the prospect of raising violence against any denial of their far too highly esteemed 'Wooly Books' for sheep. These so called holy books have so many gaps in their logic and pure nastiness holding any of the good messages together as to render them psychotic instructions for the unsuspecting. They will do definite harm to the host and associated others due a learning poison!

Better leave the literary laudanum alone everyone. Those having gulped it are besides themselves with frustrations and anger at anything threatening the myths they have fallen into a dangerous love with.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:44:19 UTC | #907226

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 18 by Vorlund

[Comment 8](/articles/644545-sir-salman-rushdie-facing-threats-of-muslim-reprisals-over-jaipur-literature-festival-appearance/comments?page=1#comment_907195) by  [Richard Dawkins](/profiles/53)          :

It is often the case that those who lack self esteem make the most racket so that other people notice them. It is clear that islam has never got over the inferiority complex of having its ass kicked out of Europe. The epistomology of islam is so fatuously asinine that no one else would give it a moments thought if it wasn't for some boggle eyed spittle beared nutter screaming, "Allah is important you must respect him and by inference respect us".

They gain credibility for themselves by claiming association with higher authority but there is nothing in the koran that warrants such arrogance or presumption.

There may be parallels in patriotism. Respect my country or my flag or my football team or I'll kick yo ass.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:59:28 UTC | #907233

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 19 by MilitantNonStampCollector

Comment 1 by strangebrew :

Xianity is riven with self doubt and now the hysteria is leaking into Islam.

Leaking is putting it mildly. Feverish hysteria is well and truly soaked into every pore of Islam. Islamic faith is like a fragile dam - riddled with holes and cracks which are getting bigger and bigger with time. There has to be a part of them that knows - deep down - that it could be all bollocks. And the only defence mechanism to this is to throw a tantrum.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:26:11 UTC | #907248

Teknical's Avatar Comment 20 by Teknical

I remember reading the book when it came out, there was nothing offensive in it as far as I could tell.

It was only when the 'offensive' bits were pointed out to me that I understood the problem; Islam is full of nutters.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:42:42 UTC | #907257

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 21 by lewis.breland

Can you imagine this:

"The Vatican has declared that Dan Brown should not be granted access to Italy because of his 'The Davinci Code.' The Pope said tens of millions of Catholics remain 'hurt' by the novel."

What fuck planet are these people?

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:06:12 UTC | #907266

mmurray's Avatar Comment 22 by mmurray

Comment 21 by lewis.breland :

Can you imagine this:

Nice.

What fuck planet are these people?

The same one as us, unfortunately.

Michael

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:07:55 UTC | #907268

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 23 by cheesedoff17

I hope there will be some top level security at this festival.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:16:29 UTC | #907272

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 24 by Rosbif

apart from the obvious sexist, ex-wife jokes, all seem to be religious.

I have "friends" who are openly offended that I am atheist. It's OK for me to be atheist as long as I don't mention it and I certainly have no right to talk about religion. I mean, how could I know anything about religion if I don't believe in one!

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:21:55 UTC | #907274

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 25 by Vorlund

[Comment 21](/articles/644545-sir-salman-rushdie-facing-threats-of-muslim-reprisals-over-jaipur-literature-festival-appearance/comments?page=1#comment_907266) by  [lewis.breland](/profiles/97721)          :

Can you imagine this:"The Vatican has declared that Dan Brown should not be granted access to Italy because of his 'The Davinci Code.'  The Pope said tens of millions of Catholics remain 'hurt' by the novel."What fuck planet are these people?

Oh dear! is he not to suffer the idle threat of excommunication? to echo Michael's point @22 until the parousia they're unfortunately on our planet.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:49:03 UTC | #907283

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 26 by potteryshard

What I can't understand is why the media are willing to publicize such nuttery. The Islamic comedians aren't even able to come up with new material.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:52:02 UTC | #907285

some asshole's Avatar Comment 27 by some asshole

And some Muslims wonder why so many non-Muslims are uncomfortable around them. Is it really "discrimination" when people just like you are constantly getting decapitated or blown to red mist?

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:13:38 UTC | #907296

tejas_gokhale01's Avatar Comment 28 by tejas_gokhale01

Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins Muslims seem to suffer from an active HUNGER to be offended. If there's nothing obvious to be offended by, or 'hurt' by, they'll go out looking for something. Are there any other similar examples we could think of, I wonder, not necessarily among religious groups?

Are hinting towards Animal rights activists? I am guessing because I am one of them(not muslims, but Animal Rights supporters) although in some cases I have different opinions.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:26:51 UTC | #907306

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 29 by drumdaddy

Professor Dawkins, good examples of those who pursue "an active HUNGER to be offended" are the Christian militias in the USA. They are exploiting the practice to new lows in their attacks on secular government. A Republican candidate for president, Rick Santorum, openly rallies his pandered followers by proclaiming that "the war is on academia" with regard to his beloved creationism. Well funded groups such as the Discovery Institute are indeed waging that war, distributing ever-shifting challenges to secularism in various states, counties and towns with the full cooperation of elected officials (pretty much all are Republicans who signed theirs deals with the devil in the Reagan administration). Their persistence is meant to wear down opposition, pander to the deluded voters, and cause governments and school boards to waste time, effort and money on these preposterous rear-guard battles. At all points of government they try to insert the thin end of their big fat wedge. They are, in essence, treasonous. But when they are rebuffed in courts of law, they scream that religion is under attack. They claim to be the martyrs who can now rally the flocks against the rising "threats". They are, in fact, the attackers, provoking disharmony only to use it to garner support. Secularism is under attack by a big machine. Monkey wrenches are called for.

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:47:32 UTC | #907317

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 30 by potteryshard

Shouldn't these Americans be hanging their heads in shame for having adopted standard Islamic tactics? Or is that just a manifestation of all people afflicted by religion being constrained to thinking inside the same box?

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:51:39 UTC | #907345