← Dawkins Foundation brings political hope to Atlanta Freethought Society.

Dawkins Foundation brings political hope to Atlanta Freethought Society. - Comments

Byrneo's Avatar Comment 1 by Byrneo

While reading the article a pop-up suggested that I "might like" this: Is Richard Dawkins An Imbecile? I suppose I "might" have thought something about it but "like" isn't the right word.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:23:13 UTC | #907697

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 2 by Quetzalcoatlus

Comment 1 by Byrneo :

I just read that article you point to. He is calling Prof Dawkins' arguments moronic and implies that Prof Dawkins is an imbecile. Then list his claims about embryon development that show basically that he has not the minimal idea of how biology works.

Poor chap! It seems ignorance can be reasuring.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:38:08 UTC | #907703

Metamag's Avatar Comment 3 by Metamag

Atlanta Creationism Examiner

Well, what else did you expect?

John Leonard is a native Georgian who lives in Alpharetta on the outskirts of Atlanta. His first book, titled Hybrid Theory: Reconciling Creationism and Evolution Theory, is due for release in 2010 from epress-online, inc. The book explores the scientific evidence supporting evolutionary theory, as well as psychological, spiritual, and paranormal evidence that supports or justifies reason to believe in a creator God.

The man is a crackpot.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:04:55 UTC | #907707

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 4 by SaganTheCat

Comment 1 by Byrneo :

same ol same ol

"my understanding of [a verb] is limited to an assumption that [a verb] must be an act carried out by [a person, probably my daddy or something]; ergo jesus"

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:21:49 UTC | #907710

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 5 by Alan4discussion

@1 - While reading the article a pop-up suggested that I "might like" this: Is Richard Dawkins An Imbecile?

I thought the level of own-foot-shooting on the link was quite comical as a response to a detailed explanation of embryology quoted from page 220 of "The Greatest Show on Earth".

@link - On the surface, his argument seems so ridiculous it makes one wonder how this highly credentialed former professor taught classes when it seems he knows considerably less about rudimentary biology than a lowly layperson such as me.

I also know that it’s fairly routine for someone of Dawkins’ stature to condescend, or “talk down” to people like me, assuming we’re too stupid to understand what they really mean.

What evidence would lead to that conclusion? ..... Oh! I see!

The argument “go back to school and learn some more” is often offered by the cosmologist, chemist, biologist, etc.

..When they can't explain in simple enough terms for the ignorant dimmest of the dim to understand, given that the dimmest don't even understand the scientific terms used, let alone the concepts or biological structures!

when their argument doesn’t hold water and they can't defend it with logic and reason.

Or more precisely:- when the properly reasoned and evidenced explanation sails right on by without contacting a single comprehending brain cell in the creationists head.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:46:45 UTC | #907716

brighterstill's Avatar Comment 6 by brighterstill

There were bound to be people who were unable to understand The Greatest Show On Earth. Not a big surprise that they happen to be Creationists as well.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:49:34 UTC | #907717

Nerevarine's Avatar Comment 7 by Nerevarine

Comment 1 by Byrneo :

The author of this paper seems to be saying that strictly local rules could never produce complex global patterns, and that it's "utterly moronic" to think otherwise. Is this a typical argument of creationists?

I wonder what he'd say if he ever saw a good cellular automata animation.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:14:51 UTC | #907724

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 8 by ukvillafan

Wow, this 'Dawkins is an Imbecile' guy has some seriously mad stuff on his site - try this one

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:20:36 UTC | #907730

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 9 by ukvillafan

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:21:35 UTC | #907731

/Mike's Avatar Comment 10 by /Mike

Let's bring this discussion back to the topic of the Atlanta Freethought Society please. on behalf of the Mods

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:40:07 UTC | #907736

Metamag's Avatar Comment 11 by Metamag

Comment 10 by /Mike :

Yes, but it is rather cringe worthy to see an article titled "Is Richard Dawkins An Imbecile?" directly linked to this article. And then to find out that the man in question is a delusional ignorant crackpot, an actual imbecile. It's just a very sad state of affairs.

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:27:22 UTC | #907755

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 12 by Richard Dawkins

Well, I've seen threads derailed by off-topic comments before, but I've never before seen a thread so comprehensively derailed by the very first comment – and apparently not recover. Wouldn't it have been sensible to submit "Is Dawkins an Imbecile?" as a separate Discussion, where it could indeed have sparked an interesting conversation. It has no relevance at all to the topic of this thread, which is the Atlanta presentations, and I, for one, was delighted to read about them. I think this meeting in Atlanta seems to have been a first class example of exactly the kind of grass roots activity that our two foundations, both in US and UK, are trying to encourage, and it sounds as though both talks went very well. I hope other local groups, in both countries, will feel encouraged to invite representatives of RDFRS to come and speak.

Coincidentally, I had a meeting in Groningen this morning with a Dutch group, Atheistisch Verbond, which is also trying to get grass roots activism going. Any readers in the Netherlands are encouraged to join here. Richard

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:29:01 UTC | #907797

Net's Avatar Comment 13 by Net

The Christians are rich, powerful, and very well organized politically. They have taken over the country...

it's just occurred to me whilst reading this that theocratic countries are, by an large, place where the gap between the multitudinous poor, and the very few rich, is huge; there is little if any social progress; and little if any development; and, i imagine, a very low happiness quotient. could this be the future america is hurtling towards if the christians finally do wrest complete control?

Thu, 12 Jan 2012 23:57:11 UTC | #907813

Byrneo's Avatar Comment 14 by Byrneo

But I digress... I agree wholeheartedly with the point about storytelling. Stories have had a profound influence on human thinking and behaviour, I'd say ever since humans had the ability to tell them. Many well meaning people are often of the view that people can believe what they want and it does no harm. Every story of a stoning under Sharia law must told. Every time a rape victim is killed simply because she has been raped - we should highlight the story. Well meaning accommodationists will soon learn that beliefs have consequences. The stories of cruelty and atrocities should ignite questioning, if not doubt, among the "just let them practise their beliefs" crowd..

By the way, it wasn't my intention to derail the discussion with that first comment. I just found it ridiculous. Perhaps the mods could start it as a new topic?

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:58:17 UTC | #907828

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 15 by Alan4discussion

We need to show them personal examples of how theocracy is destroying individual lives. As an example, he cited the legal favoritism of Christian day cares which has led to abuse and even death for children.

The Catholic abuse scandals are increasingly well known, but lessons must not be forgotton!

Comment 14 by Byrneo

BTW Sorry about my part in derailing the thread - the temptation to fix the broken bit first, was too much!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:17:53 UTC | #907858

Absinthius's Avatar Comment 16 by Absinthius

I am utterly ashamed I wasn't aware of the Atheistisch verbond group here in the Netherlands and I regret I wasn't aware of Prof Dawkins' lecture yesterday in Groningen. Hopefully I shall have another opportunity to attend one in the future.

I am a member now though to ensure I will never miss such an opportunity again!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:36:30 UTC | #907929

/Mike's Avatar Comment 17 by /Mike

There are listing in the Local Groups section which can filtered by country to groups you may be interested in in your area. For example, here is a link to those in the Netherlands

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:51:04 UTC | #907949