← Tesco slump due to divine intervention, says Christian pressure group

Tesco slump due to divine intervention, says Christian pressure group - Comments

StephenH's Avatar Comment 1 by StephenH

I wonder if it's possible for these people to protest about anything, without having a bit of 'gay' bashing

Society has changed, even if they don't like the way it's changed.. they had better deal with it

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:23:30 UTC | #907957

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 2 by Philoctetes

Looks like a fair cop guv. I'm convinced, what other reason could there be for the (relative) failure of a company in today's climate of economic crisis - Doh!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:25:18 UTC | #907958

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 3 by DocWebster

Tell me this isn't Machiavelli smiling somewhere. How many Christian groups are run by people with TESCO stock? Would rich Xtians be so crassly cynical as to attempt goad atheists into rallying to TESCO's defense and possibly starting a "Buy TESCO" movement in sympathy.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:27:06 UTC | #907960

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 4 by Luke_B

And I thought stories of these batshit crazy claims only really came from the US. Oh well.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:32:47 UTC | #907964

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 5 by Cartomancer

So nothing to do with the global economic downturn then?

In fact, it seems to me that the mistake Tesco made was not being proud and open enough in its support for gay pride events. There are more LGBT people than church-going christians in Britain, and FAR more people who approve of tolerance and equality and the celebration of diversity. Taking a firm and public stance against narrow-minded religious bigotry would get them far more custom in the long run than keeping quiet about it.

Also, how many of these alleged 2000 christian voice folk are anything more than imaginary? We've only seen one of them so far, the vile Mr. Green. You'd expect an organisation that big would have at least one other known member and one other PR person wouldn't you?

Which makes it all the more frustrating that mainstream newspapers like the Guardian consider the ravings of one ugly bigoted nutcase in his garden shed at all newsworthy. They aren't, and reporting on them as if they were is only going to fuel the ego of this horrid man.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:37:40 UTC | #907966

Luke_B's Avatar Comment 6 by Luke_B

Oh I see, it's Stephen Green. The evil fuck who, amongst other things, wants marital rape to be legalised. The Guardian shouldn't be paying him attention if you ask me.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:38:42 UTC | #907967

Stephen of Wimbledon's Avatar Comment 7 by Stephen of Wimbledon

I laughed so hard I think I burst several small blood vessels.

A great way to end my Friday.

Cheers!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:39:44 UTC | #907968

Dave H's Avatar Comment 8 by Dave H

I think the Christian Vice group has a name that is just begging to be mis-spelled.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:50:03 UTC | #907972

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 9 by strangebrew

Apart from Stephen 'slap my 'beeatch down' Green...the article gets a little more into la la land...

Francis Phillips, writing in the Catholic Herald, urged the company to "stop dabbling in dubious fringe political movements"

Says a religious cult that survives by such dabbling...irony meter gone 'n' got all busted again...wish I had shares!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:53:16 UTC | #907974

funkyderek's Avatar Comment 10 by funkyderek

"As the Big Price Drop was launched in September, it seems that almighty God, who operates outside space and time, was well ahead of us, anticipating our prayers, and seeing by our actions that our prayers were serious,"

Hilariously, Stephen Green (the only known member of Christian Voice) claims that his prayers were answered before they were asked. He doesn't just confuse correlation with causation, he reverses the direction of causality in order to support his beliefs.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:56:37 UTC | #907975

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 11 by Ignorant Amos

It was AWT stealing all stressco's profits that did it, not God....sheeeshh! do these holy rollers know anything?

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:03:36 UTC | #907977

Sample's Avatar Comment 12 by Sample

Tesco should file for damages caused by Christian prayer.

Mike

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:24:58 UTC | #907980

Southpaw's Avatar Comment 13 by Southpaw

I love it. God can hear your prayers before you've even made them. In which case, why bother praying? It seems fairly safe to assume that he knows what you'll pray about for the rest of your life. Might as well just forget about it eh? G's got your back!

facepalm

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:25:23 UTC | #907981

tll's Avatar Comment 14 by tll

These articles suffocate me... I wish there was a way to demonstrate to these wonder bread mouth breathers - that when you die the only after life that develops is reserved for the maggots!

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:27:16 UTC | #907982

danconquer's Avatar Comment 15 by danconquer

Yes, it is very irritating how what is essentially a one man act can keep garnering all this attention merely by setting up a front 'campaign group'. He is just another shameless media whore (ala Anjem Choudhary) who, ironically, would probably jump at the chance to appear on Satan's favourite telly show Big Brother were the offer put to him.

Anyway, Tesco were incredibly conservative really sponsoring the 'family area' at the event, when Waitrose were sponsoring the Swingers'nDoggers tent and Sainsbury's supported the Cock & Ball Torturers and Fisters marquee ('Try Something New Today' so said their neatly appropriate banner.)

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:31:10 UTC | #907984

Queen of the Pencils's Avatar Comment 16 by Queen of the Pencils

Tesco should be worried, God has form. Seems he prefers a more upmarket shopping experience.

Exodus 10:19 And the LORD turned a mighty strong west wind, which took away the lo-costs, and cast them into the Red sea; there remained not one lo-cost in all the coasts of Egypt.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:32:16 UTC | #907986

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 17 by Capt. Bloodeye

About ten years ago I began psychically petitioning the lard to gradually diminish the influence of hate filled fantasists who masquerade as caring people. This has been answered on a biblical scale.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:35:01 UTC | #907987

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 18 by Stonyground

I wonder what prayer God was answering in advance when Green bankrupted himself and, in the process, enabled the abolition of the blasphemy law? As has already been mentioned, if Christian Voice has two thousand members, the other 1,999 are keeping a very low profile. Maybe he has an ant farm.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:42:07 UTC | #907989

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 19 by Flapjack

"I now call on Tesco to see sense before their company is ruined. Don't display the arrogance of Pharaoh. Withdraw the grant to Gay Pride."

...said Stephen Green, who blithely ignores the fact that it was his own god who according to Exodus made Ramases II give the thumbs down to abolishing slavery. As I remember from school bible classes, the story suggests that God 'made Pharaoh obstinate' with some mind control jiggery pokery! Nothing like a temporary loss of free will to bring about the brutal final act climax god wants in his own contrived f***ed up narrative!

And somehow Pharaoh gets the blame for that one when he didn't even have personal autonomy. What's the reverse of "Deus ex-machina" again?

Anyhow I would have thought that alleged wifebeating from his ex and rabid homophobia should have consigned this fundamentalist egit's opinions to the irrelevance scrapheap years ago.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:54:15 UTC | #907992

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 20 by Flapjack

BTW just in case anyone needed reminding why Stephen Green is not a moral authority on anything here's a link for you... or if you prefer, this one...

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:01:27 UTC | #907994

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 21 by potteryshard

The enduring mystery to me, is why can such patently looney-tunes dingleberries as Stephen Green manage to get media attention? I would think any reporter capable of typing out a story would also be bright enough to see through the stupidity.

Maybe the story had to be dictated...

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:23:21 UTC | #908000

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 22 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Another sufferer from Gay Obsessive Disorder (GOD).

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:33:44 UTC | #908002

jel's Avatar Comment 23 by jel

As the great N.M. puts it

"Ha Ha".

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:43:48 UTC | #908004

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 24 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Stephen "I'm Feeling a Bit Persecuted" Green gets a message from above. A true classic. Enjoy.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:44:43 UTC | #908005

DaveDodo007's Avatar Comment 25 by DaveDodo007

I'm off to Tesco to get my shopping in:-)

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:45:57 UTC | #908006

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 26 by Philoctetes

There is a good argument for newspapers to ignore the comments of such misogynistic attention seekers as Green, but then the tabloids I think do, leaving just the quality press with the field. Why? Sun readers probably don't want any sophisticated god-bollox unless there is a good accompanying photo, while Guardianistas love a good argument, trouble is that is one step away from loving to be outraged or more damningly: OFFENDED.

Should we issue a re-education fatwa on Green? No it sounds a bit Stalinist. Best thing is to leave him alone while he manages the impossible of discrediting an already discredited idea. Then we can be very politically incorrect and laugh at him. Which always reminds me of the Bob Monkhouse joke:

"They all laughed when I told them I wanted to be a comedian. Well they're not laughing now!"

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:53:48 UTC | #908007

Tinman20001967's Avatar Comment 27 by Tinman20001967

Sir:

What a load of rubbish, where do they get this stuff from.!!! I mean...where!!!!!!!!!!.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:55:19 UTC | #908009

Dixiedog's Avatar Comment 28 by Dixiedog

Gobshite as he clearly is, but I think the world is a funnier place for having such a tool in it. Every time I read of such a clearly repressed homosexual fulminating against his fellow gay brethren, I realise that of all the world's nincompoops, I am not the greatest.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:33:25 UTC | #908019

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 29 by Alan4discussion

Comment 16 by Queen of the Pencils

True! But then the hairdressing an beauty salons seem to be doing business as usual in the land of canin'! - http://richarddawkins.net/articles/644544-women-cane-morality-police

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:44:29 UTC | #908021

Andrew Brown's Avatar Comment 30 by Andrew Brown

This obnoxious twit is your classic tinpot authoritarian. He's like a cross between Elmer Gantry and Captain Manwearing from Dad's Army. Completely oblivious to his own ludicrousness, but harmless unless you are one of his "loved" ones as Flapjack noted above.

He seems to love his wife and children in the same way as he loves gay people.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:54:42 UTC | #908023